1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Live streaming

Discussion in 'General' started by HoyaXC07, Dec 4, 2016.

1. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

I'm looking into live streaming my races. Looks like it's pretty easy from a GoPro. Do you keep your phone in your leathers and use data? Is there a better way to do this?

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

You could prob use the GoPro w RC FPV hardware to stream to a screen in the pits. I've been tempted to try that myself for a while. If u wanted it live on anything like Periscope or Facebook, ud need the phone and it would def use data.

3. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

And who's data are you going to use? It will use a lot...

4. HoyaXC07

I'd probably just upgrade my T-Mobile to unlimited. For races and track days it wouldnt be too bad, but running it in the racecar during a Chumpcar race would get excessive.

5. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Are they uploading in HD?

Still would seem that it would be lower data to upload than download.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Not to be a dick but why? Are you so good that 100s of people want to watch you churn out laps live versus watching it a day or two later on youtubes?

Save a lot of time and money just recording it and you can edit out any mistakes if you record it and then post it up.

7. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

You realize it's not truly unlimited...

They throttle you back hard if you go over your limit.

8. HoyaXC07

I race Chumpcar too, having a live stream from the cockpit would be very useful. A stream that you could watch in the pits would go a long way in keeping rental drivers honest.

It's not necessary on the bike but if I could make it work it might be kinda cool.

9. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I often find myself thinking that when the Facebook live stuff comes up. If what you were doing warranted being broadcast live, someone else would probably be filming it. :D

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  10. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Live social media broadcast might go a long way for finding/keeping sponsors for club racing. Social media is a big part of what I do now for my sponsor and every little bit helps.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I get the social media part of racing and streaming it live would be cool but. . . sometimes just because you can doesn't mean you need to.

But hey, I'm being german and just wondering the whys. As a 'merican I think it's kick ass and only needs fireworks, chicks in bikinis with big who whos and a fly over by 3 B52s. :)

12. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I can tell you that as a shop that's a sponsor of quite a few racers, there's a lot of things I pay attention to on social media. And the parts that have to do specifically with racing are only a part of it.

Stumpy likes this.
  13. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I live streamed a few races for our mini club last year. But I wasn't on bike, just used my iPad.

14. You should have strapped the iPad to the bike.

backcountryme likes this.
  15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yes, I think the number was 26GB when I asked them. Something about only hitting the top 3% of users.