1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightweight stranded tether wire

Discussion in 'General' started by Hotfoot, May 18, 2019.

1. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

I have a bike I bought used that uses cotter pins to attach the fairings. The prior owner put little wire lanyards on the cotter pins, so they stay attached to the bike if they fall out or when fairings are removed. It's a great idea and I want to make some more of these but I can't seem to find the wire - it is a very fine stranded wire that is thinner and a LOT more flexible than safety wire. I can't find it in stores, and internet searches for "tether wire" or "retainer wire" come up with different products than I want (orthodontics, etc.). I see GoPro tethers but they are heavier than what I need to hold cotter pins, and less flexible.

Any idea where I can get wire like this, or what industry it comes from, or what to call it when I look for it online?

2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Picture hanging wire perhaps?

ducnut and Dragginass like this.
  3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Fishing leader?

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Go to mcmaster carr.
    Search wire rope.

5. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

This. The big box stores even sell some that are already coated in plastic.

ducnut likes this.
  6. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Bicycle shift cable.

7. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

Wow, you can't beat this place fast, useful answers! Looks like lightweight, nylon coated picture hanging wire would work great, and the fishing leaders even better because they are already a usable length with a snap on one end and a ring on the other, I think that is what the prior owned must have used. Just ordered both, since I can the picture hanging wire will be handy to have around too. Thanks for the help!

8. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

We got some very small wire rope from our hardware store. They sold the ferrules to crimp them together too. Had to replace a lanyard on the wrecker.

9. Cabelas fishing leader, plastic coated kind. Usually in saltwater section.