1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lightweight Ducati Fuel Tank Ruling question

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by swiest152, Aug 17, 2021.

1. swiest152

swiest152 Zoran's headache

by the rulebook, running a Ducati 1000SS in lightweight must be SS rules. In which means the gas tank must be stock.

Since this is endurance, are we allowed to do anything about this? Add a tank with dry break? Enlarge?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: I just spent the last 20 minutes looking for this question in an email... I know I'd read it but didn't remember where.

Yes, dry break or enlarging on the Duc will be fine, just keep all the engine/brakes/other performance stuff that isn't pit stop related superstock legal and it'll be good to go.

3. swiest152

Thank you. Answers my question perfectly.

4. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Doesn't seem right that a 1000 is a light weight bike, but no worries. Never remember seeing a (twin cylinder) Ducati actually finish an endurance race...

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's a power to weight thing - air cooled and 400 plus pounds :crackup:

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If it helps any, stock to stock a 2nd gen SV has more power per pound...

7. swiest152

The ducati supersport is not fast stock. It's 75ish hp and over 400lbs. It's a dumptruck.
    Reliability is fine on them.

JBall and nlzmo400r like this.
  8. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

People get so caught up on the '1000cc LWT!?!' but forget that we're talking an engine based on the 1979 pantah. 2v per cyl, air cooled etc. That being said, I do love the way they feel.

9. swiest152

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, they can be built into something for sure which is why our rules are the way they are.