1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightened rotors and chain alignment tools

Discussion in 'Other' started by Phat Chance, Jul 7, 2008.

1. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Jimmy,
    Can you send me ordering info for the chain alignment tool as well? Thousand and one of thanks!

2. 2old4this??

2old4this?? Well-Known Member

Hey Jimmy, I`m pm`ing you my email addy. Could you send me a pic of the alignment tool please. And also what would be the turn around time on a full set of RC51 rotors? Thanks Mang!! Steve

3. Phat Chance

Phat Chance Silence, I kill you!

here they are. I found this picture on page 3 of this post.

4. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

Just want to say thanks on the lighting fast shipping for a cam chain tensioner today! This is my 2nd one from you (two different bikes) and they fit like a glove!! :up:

Also, awesome job cutting my rotors a few months back! :up:

5. Phat Chance

Thanks for the kind words. Glad to help out!:beer:

6. Phat Chance

anyone have any spare rotors laying around? We need a few more for stock.

We will be glad to pay fair market prices for them.

7. Phat Chance

Thanks guys but we only need good rotors, no bent or worn out rotors

8. auz_gsxr

auz_gsxr Well-Known Member

PM Sent

9. Phat Chance

We now have new patterns for the BMW S1000 and the KTM Pictures soon

10. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

I get how you use the alignment tool for the rear wheel/sprocket alignment but how does this check the triple/fork alignment? Basically stick it through the front axle and measure to a fixed point on the bike? I guess that would tell you if your front end is twisted just not sure how you would tell if it was the forks or the triple.

11. Phat Chance

There is a bunch of useful data that can easily be collected with these tools. Since it is understood that the swingarm pivot is the heart of the motorcycle and everything is relative to that then, it becomes easy. We understand that is easy to measure the swingarm pivot to the rear axle align it perfectly. Once that is accomplished, then we can move the measuring rod from the rear axle to the front axle and square the front axle to the swingarm pivot by simply moving the handle bars to get an equal measurement on both sides. Now we know that the front and rear axles are parallel to each other. This is basically the same as stringing a bike only we aren't measuring to the edge of a rubber tire, we are measuring to the exact center line of the Pivot and axle! Not to mention that is is way faster, easier, and 100 times more accurate than a string. Once that is accomplished, I use a metal "yard stick" (any good straight edge will do, even another round rod) by laying it across the triple trees with one edge contacting both fork tubes. Now you can stand over the bike and sight down to the alignment rod in the front axle and see if the alignment rod is parallel to the metal straight edge that is laying on the triple. If you notice that the alignment rod and the straight edge are not parallel then it is telling you that either the forks are bent or the triples are bent. At that point I would be pulling the forks and checking them in a lathe or some other device to see if they are straight or not. If they check out, then we know that the triple trees or the neck must be bent. If you don't have the machinery or ability to to straighten the tubes, triples or frame then you will need to engage someone who can.

The tools are also handy for recording the wheel base and checking to see what effect it has when you change sprockets or fork height on the wheel base. It is nice to have notes on what the geometry was and is and what works the best for you.

Bottom line, you can do quick easy checks to look for problems after a crash with out having to send the bike out. Not to mention that most shops charge over a thousand dollars to tell you your bike is bent. With these tools, you can find out in 10 minutes or less that you have a problem. Then you can make a decision it you want to fix the bike or take it to someone who can.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  12. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

Great info, thanks for taking the time to explain it.

13. Phat Chance

No worries, Thanks for all the support!

14. MGFChapin

MGFChapin Well-Known Member

Got the rotor today, thanks Jimmy!

[​IMG]

15. bsinclair

bsinclair Well-Known Member

jimmy, any chance you have pics of the bmw s1000 rotors and what weight they reduced? also by chance do you make a smaller rod diameter version of the alignment tool? i have one of your tools and it measures about 8mm in diameter. i need one around 7mm for a drag bike application. i cant bore the hole out any larger as it has a 8mm bolt thread in it. you can email me at [email protected]

16. Steverin06

Steverin06 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I didn't get around to weighing it.

17. bsinclair

bsinclair Well-Known Member

did you do the fronts? i know you from the s1000 board :beer:

18. Steverin06

Steverin06 Well-Known Member

Na I didn't want to make the bike illegal for SSTK. If you want to cut the fronts, you might as well get aftermarket rotors. People are saying the fronts warp easily, but I haven't had that problem yet and I'm hammering them pretty good.

19. Phat Chance

We have not cut any of the BMW fronts. You could be the first.

20. jdgun_13

jdgun_13 Well-Known Member

Looking to have you do some modding on my front and rear 1098 rotors, but have yet to find the fronts on here.
    Any chance you can find a set?
    also what kind of turn around time is there?