1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightened rotors and chain alignment tools

Discussion in 'Other' started by Phat Chance, Jul 7, 2008.

1. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

What's up Jimmy? :D

2. Phat Chance

Phat Chance Silence, I kill you!

Same ole thang. I'm going to be in North Ga (Helen area) next weekend. Can you come and play?

3. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

I will be racing at Tally or I would come up and ride :D

4. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

any pics of the kawi 04-05 zx10r wave rotors already worked on?

5. Phat Chance

Send me an email and we will email you a drawing of the design.

6. EricH

EricH Member

Gents, as much as there are plenty of success stories here, be aware that your job may not go to plan and luck of the draw effects your outcome. The sad part is (from my experience) Jimmy's primary concern is the money versus doing a professional job in a professional manner, let alone doing the honable thing when you attempt to deal with them to resolve issues. Even when you never get angry and try to work with them as much as possible. I will attach some pictures, but a little back story to go along with them.

I asked for and received the diagram of the cut for the 08 Busa rotors, the new design referred to in this thread. I sent in a brand new set of 08 Hayabusa rotors that were straight. The regular rotor guy was on vacation so they let a temp work on them. This employee first tried using the wrong program on one during the first surface pass leaving miling marks in the wrong place that the final cut with the right program would not cut out. Appearantly they did not clean up the chips ended up scratching both carriers pretty badly in addition to grounding down the rotor buttons with a flapwheel in an attempt to deburr them. They were boxed up like that and sent to me. Sent the pictures and let Jimmy know that wont do. He owns up and appologized and said he gave his guy what and there was no excuse for it. He indicated they only had 4 sets with problems and unfortunately one was mine. But at that point said they would take care of it by getting new ones and redoing the work. Sounded good and couldnt ask for more then that, and let him know the same. I sent that set back as they woul be replacing them.

Round two, one is dead nuts perfect and gorgeous, the other was slightly bent (just out of spec) and looks to have come loose on the fixture as it showed chatter and alignment issues. Although that later didnt matter as I didnt send them any bent rotors, so in the end I decided to see if we could do something about that one.

The email I received said sorry, but he did not think I could be satisfied and how now the first job wasnt as bad as he acknowledged cause some guy locally bought them from him and was thrilled with them (and I am sure he did not pay for new rotors or the amount I did for the milling) and all of a sudden you could not see defects and needed a microscope to see them.

I talked to Jimmy, he let me know he was frustrated and hung up on me to get another call. I wasn't clear on why expecting straight rotors in exchange for straight rotors is unreasonable, but after called back and made a deal where I would buy another rotor and they would redo it. He asked what I was going to do with the one that wasnt good, and told him had no plans at that point. He asked as a favor to satisfy his curiosity about the chatter it I would send it back. The next day a firend was headed to Sac raceway and said some guys drag racing busa's run single rotor and may be interested in it. A chance to get back any funds sounded OK. I sent Jimmy an email letting him know I had a chance to sell it so I would not be sending it when I got the new one to replace it. it was a courtesy and I didnt want any surprises. No indication of any issue from him.

Sent away new rotor. A few weeks go by. Then I get a call from the the office manager asking me for my credit card info. I let her know there must be a misunderstanding as this was rework and it was suppose to be no charge. She said she would check with Jimmy and have him call me if needed. After another week or more goes by I call back. She said she would have to check with him as he didnt look at it. Talk to her 2 days later and said he was not willing to do it and the only way I would that rotor back was to pay the full charge. Jimmy would not talk to me and would only deal thru the manager. I had no choice but to do so or be out the cost of the rotor as well. I did ask how it turned out, but she said it was boxed.

I get the rotor back, and how and behold they but the wrong pattern into it. The used the wrong program and cut it to the old pre 08 Busa version and managed to scratch up the inside of the carrier again. Sound ed all to familiar. Not only is swept area totally different, but they weights are not the same by a good bit.

Sent Jimmy an email. He said it was my fault as I did not send a rotor for them to copy. How could they know what to do. I reminded him he knew what it was for and how could he cut the first set and would not have a business if folk had to send him cut rotors to copy. No reponse to that, just that it had to be my fault for not sending a rotor.

I received an email a few hours later. Appearantly a bit of conscience about his first poor excuse, and now saying that he had no choice in pattern and I sent the wrong rotor, that had to be it, I messed up in sending the wrong side. I informed him Suzuki uses the same rotor and both sides, same part numbers he could verify. And that 08 and newer are different. It was simply they chose the wrong program just like the first time and he should have supervised it or given proper instructions as I sent the item to him.

Last reponse, nope doesnt matter it was the correct rotor, its my fault for not sending one to copy and they cant be expected to pick the right program.

So there it is. You get the wrong guy working on these and any diagrams dont mean much. You get all kinds of promises about quality work, but whether they stand behind it or not appears to be chance. For sure once that 60 day window for you to appeal the credit card company is gone, no more mister nice guy.

To be fair, my rear rotor was very nice and one front rotor was nice. But I now have $750 into a nice rear rotor and a front set that shouldnt be used together. You may end up with great work or not, but you dont know till that box gets there. And as Jimmy told me himself, he doesnt check the work. You could end up with som of this kind of work below:

First set. Notice double cuts and damaged carriers
    [​IMG]
    Or cut some holes larger
    [​IMG]

Pick a program....any program. Who cares what bike they go on or what we said we would do.
    Same rotor, using old pattern on right, and the promised one on the left.
    [​IMG]

Check out the nice deburring job
    [​IMG]
    lightly scratched carriers....chips....why clean them away before bolting painted bits to fixtures???
    At leat they are scratching them up a bit less now
    [​IMG]

Its kind of like playing the lottery. You may get lucky....or you just may throw your money down a hole.

Best of luck!!

7. Phat Chance

Thousands of happy customers.

One that isn't happy.

8. snowbizx

snowbizx Well-Known Member

why not make him happy... then you'll have a thousand and one happy customers :rolleyes:

9. EricH

EricH Member

Talk is cheap. Unortunatly, Quality machine does not appear to accept responsibility for their actions and only talks it, does not do it.

Great thing is pictures dont lie, the truths of the poor business practice involving using untrained or unsupervised employees with little to no direction are evident in those pictures.

Anyone's parts could end up in a mess like this. It happens, no big deal. But the measure of the business and the man is in how you deal with it. I was never angry and always looked for positive solutions. But in the end, blaming the customer for your own internal problems.....well....

The worst part about this was how avoidable and simple this really was. Rather then be absentee boss, all someone had to do was say, "just got this rotor in, run the new busa program on it and this time clean the chips off the bed before bolting it to the fixture".

Simple. Easy. Everyone wins

The "I only screwed over this one guy (that you know of) and refused to take care of it, so its OK to send me your high dollar parts " response. Priceless!!!

10. Phat Chance

you can't make some people happy, even buying them another set of rotors.

11. EricH

EricH Member

Yep, bought me 1 bent rotor and 1 straight. I guess anyone would be happy with you replacing their perfect peices with ones that arent. Doesnt matter the machining was off on that one since it was BENT! I even asked you to check them out before machining them, but you didnt.

Hey, you forgot to mention to mention how I complimented you on the rear and 1 good one. Do unreaonable customers do that? Why would I have you try it again if I did like it. Doesnt add up. Maybe some facts being left out there Jimmy?

How bout the little fact you agreed to cut the last one I bought to replace that bent one you sent me at no charge. But then changed your mind, had your guys mess it up with the wrong program, then put your office manager in the middle since you couldnt tell me man to man you were gonna rip me off for an extra $100 just cause you could. All you had to do was not botch the last rotor and cut it with the right program and we would have been good.

Do unethical business only interested in the money not take responsiblity for their actions and try to blame the customer with any excuse they can make up? Yes YOU do.

I'm sorry you couldnt deal with this honestly and that you run your business like this. LIke you said its happened to others. But the folks here just dont know about it.

12. Phat Chance

The set of new rotors that we bought were straight when they left here.

They were brand new and we didn't bend them.

I told you to send the alledgely bent rotor back and you wouldn't.

Insead you bitch like a little girl.

13. EricH

EricH Member

If you're gonna make up some lies, at least make it sound good. Is that insult suppose to deflect from the facts presented in the pictures about how you guys do really bad work and then dont make good on it? Or take more money for doing the wrong work and never address it because you are just a hostile individual?

Just as a refresher(and the real story), here is you email response to my letting you know the that you guys messed up and the rotor was bent. Go ahead and let us know where all that BS rotor checking was that day:

I am at a total loss, the same guy machined both them and did them back to back. Our fixture doesn't put any pressure on the rotor, we bolt it thru the holes in rotor buttons. The only thing that could cause chatter in the milling operation is one or the floating rotors could have had more clearance from the factory than the other one did. As far runout goes, we would have done anything to effect what was already there,

Once again I am sorry that you are not happy and that the work wasn't up to standard. Out of the thousands of rotors that we do, we only have had 4 screwed up rotors in 5 years. Yours were 2 of them. I thought your rotors turned out fine but I only looked at one of them.

If you are paying 100.00 to have a rotor straightened, you are getting screwed.

Jimmy Chance
    Quality Machine Co
    600 W Lathrop Ave
    Savannah, Ga 31415
    912-232-5680 office
    912-665-1846 cell

I wish other things where in writing, but unfortunately not.

For the record, I never had to send you anther rotor as I paid for the last one. You asked me what I was gonna do with that one to taken care of in the above email after you agreed to do the work in exchange for my paying for it. That was the deal. At the time I had no plans and I let you know that. You asked if I wasnt using it if I could send it back since you wanted to look at the chatter marks. When I found out someone wanted to buy it, I emailed you to let you know and you never responded, called, or had ANY problem with that or that the deal was off. Of course not, it wasnt part of it, you just want to change the facts now to feel OK about hold that other one ransom.

In the end, I paid full price to have an 08 Busa rotor cut with the 08 Busa pattern just like the others so it could be used with the 1 front rotor I had. You guy didnt do that. You took the money and hosed up the job.

Plain and simple you messed up and have no problem taking money for it . You dont know how good companies or folks are till this happens. But your responses continue to show what you stand for and the type of man you are with being OK with whats in those pictures. Cemented by how you messed up that last one and refuse to deal with it knowing full well its the right thing to do. I wasnt the clown at the mill who hit the wrong buttons, not sure why you are angry at me for your mess up.

Like I said, you can do some great work, but you also can do some pretty screwed up things. Folks need to know you are not man enough to deal with it and be reasonable and it could happen to them.

14. Phat Chance

Please continue your ranting. I became aware that nothing we did could make you happy. You were bitiching about minor blimishes that had nothing to do with the performance of the rotors.

15. gixxer357

gixxer357 Well-Known Member

PM me ordering info for the alignment tool. Thanks!

16. Phat Chance

Thanks for the order!

Cheers

17. RedEIKO0713

RedEIKO0713 you like noodles? fapfap

EricH seems like a very reasonable character... IMO phat you should make that right, was about to email about a set of front, a pair of rears, and the alignment tool based on what i've read but i'll hold off pending what happens. pay for a shipping label phat just to clean up the record?

18. Havoc

Havoc Well-Known Member

whoops!

19. Phat Chance

Sorry, you can send the rotors or not send them. We don't make our living machining rotors. It is a service that we provide for those who want it. I sold the first set or rotors that had a few blemishes on them to a rider and he put them on his bike. You can't even see the blemishes once the rotors were bedded in. He now has over 5,000 miles on the rotors and not one complaint. A lot of the rotors that we machine have imperfections in them from the factory and even the hole patterns are not the same from one batch to another. I bought the man a second set of rotors when he wasn't happy and if I bought a 3rd set, I believe he would find something wrong with them. I'm done with that. We have machined thousands of rotors and we have sent world wide.

Our alignment tools are the cheapest, most accurate, and eaiest to use of any out there. Machining rotors, well you have lots of choices.

We welcome your business and if you decide to send them to us, we will do a nice job for you.

Cheers

20. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

If my front rotors returned in the chewed up condition like the ones in the pics above are- mounting them on a bike and riding will be the last thing on my still somewhat sane mind.

Hope this ends up right for both sides,
    but I honestly can't see how this public dispute could benefit this machine shop.

Just my $0.02 that's probably worth even less than that.