1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

light sleeper test(earthquake)

Discussion in 'General' started by pfhenry, Dec 12, 2018.

1. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

who felt it in ATL (from TN) @ 4:15am?

2. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Slept right through it... I'm about an hour or so north east of Cleveland, TN. Didn't even know about an earthquake until I saw reports of it on a couple of news sites.

3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I did.. I was actually up.. Cat made its usual round and jumped in bed with me to get me up to feed him... Felt a rumble and the plates rattled on the wall... Cat freaked out and jumped down..I thought someone was trying to get in the house somewhere.. sounded like a door slam almost... Its the third one I have felt here in N Ga.. However none of them are as bad as when they blast at the Quarry 1/2 mile from my house..

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Woke me up. Wasn't totally coherent so was wondering if it was a heavy ass truck running down the road or an earthquake - granted house shook enough I figured it had to be an earthquake not a truck. Fell back asleep before the aftershock(s), dogs perked up too but oddly never barked.

5. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

I thought it was a truck too(huge pot hole on street near driveway)

6. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

my dog woke me up.....heard about it on the way to work

7. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Yep, I too thought it was a very large truck, altho' I couldn't figure out why or where. I dismissed it and went back to sleep. Wife asked me about the earthquake this morning and I said I didn't know anything about it.

Georgia is in seismic zone 2, but earthquakes like that are rare. I wonder if the increase in fracking in/near east Tennessee & western NC contribute to the likelihood of earthquakes. I know that has been a huge issue in Oklahoma and that area.

I guess it's time to put together my "earthquake survival" kit by the door: lawn chair & a six pack of beer.

Cheers,

Dave

badmoon692008 and Britt like this.
  8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I was still up working at that time and barely noticed it.

9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Ya think?

10. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Don't know. I'm not quick to fly off the handle with rank speculation.

The first component of such analysis is how much new (i.e., increase in) fracking has occurred. Where? To what depth and in what formations? What type and extent of such fracking?

I know it is a huge issue in Oklahoma. However, they have a LOT more oil & gas production and a LOT more fracking than in the East and a LOT more aquifers which have been affected by oil & gas & fracking operations.

If you have some east coast fracking data you would like to share, I'd like to see it. Could be interesting info.

Cheers,

Dave

11. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

I can’t sleep for shit these days. Up at 3:30 every morning with my mind racing. Whether about work, family or a new idea to handicap basketball games, a snowboarding trip whatever it doesn’t matter - I just can’t get my mind to settle. Crazy thing is I work ojt at least 5 days a week, very healthy and usually go to bed around 10pm.

My wife hits the pillow and you could send a locomotive through the house and she wont wake up. Slept through many earthquakes. It’s unbelievable, I’ll wake up at 3:30, can’t sleep, go pee, get a glass of water, go into office to start handicapping games with some music on and she won’t even know. I’ll work for an hour and then crawl back in bed for an hour to rest and she’ll never know I that got out of bed.

12. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Woke me up

13. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

FYI there was a similar level earthquake that affected metro ATL back in the late 90's (woke me up in Alpharetta). While the technology of fracking was already present, it wasn't used at the level it is today. Also, there are NO oil deposits that I am aware of in the region.

14. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

I was at work. My desk shook a little. I reported it on FB.

15. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I don't live too far from Fort Bragg, maybe 20 miles as the crow flies. The artillery practice takes off you'd swear you were feeling/hearing an earthquake from a distance. I've been in a few small ones and it's very similar. If we had one, I'd probably just think it was artillery practice. LOL

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Earthquakes happen here regularly. Usually really mild on the Richter scale. I've slept through the others. Saw somewhere we had one last year, one in 2015, a couple in 14, a few in 13...

17. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Any idea of what magnitude those were?

18. Jed

Jed mellifluous

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

2.5 and under.

Sabre699 likes this.