1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lifting a large piece of glass

Discussion in 'General' started by RS250Ape, Aug 6, 2018.

1. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience doing this? The glass is 6'4" x 2'2".
    I have a large mirror in a steel frame that has slid out of place. The way the steel frame is constructed does not allow me to take the back off. But the glass will come out of the front. The problem is the glass came lose from the backing and slid down to the bottom of the frame. How it did not break?!!! I've already been able to slide it back to center with the little suction cups but...

My plan is to lift the glass, slide a piece of 1/4" board down in the frame to act as a leg across the bottom and then re-glue the mirror to the back board. But I'm scared I'm going to shatter the glass. Any of you experts know how to lift it without causing it to break.?

Attached Files:

2. RS250Ape and omatter34 like this.
  3. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

I hung mirrors with my dad for a couple summers in new construction. Get the suction cups and be careful to not hit any sharp edges. When they break it can get ugly. My dad quit letting me work with him when he had a friend bleed out and had to save another younger kid on a different crew from bleeding out.

RS250Ape likes this.
  4. RS250Ape

5. RS250Ape

Do you think I can just tilt it up or should I fully lift it like a crane?

6. Those things are STRONG.

RS250Ape likes this.
  7. RS250Ape

I'm afraid 2 will not be enough points of contact and it could tilt, twist or bow causing it to shatter. I have zero experience with this. Maybe I'm worrying too much.

8. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

You can pick up the glass and move it any direction with the suction cups, unless of course it's only 1/16 think?

9. Order two. Stick one to the glass. You’ll see how strong it is. If you are paranoid and have two friends, maybe you’ll order another, but I doubt it. Each one supports up to 75 lbs.

10. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

Is the mirror 1/4" thick?
    Looks like the mirror has maybe 3/8" gap between mirror edge and frame on all sides.
    If so, makes lifting mirror out of the frame a lot easier.
    You are on the right track with the suction cups.
    If the mirror is 1/4" you might be able to lift the mirror up on one side with the 2 cups.
    Put suction cups along outside edge of mirror length wise at approx 2' from each end of mirror, creating 3 equal section of 2' each.
    By locating cups in this manner you limit flex along length of mirror.
    You might need 2 people to lift the mirror up high enough to get something to wedge mirror off the backing.
    Once you get your wedges underneath this outside edge, use both hands to lift mirror vertically 90 degrees so you can lift mirror out of frame.
    Once you dab mirror mastik on backer board inside the frame you can reverse the procedure to reinstall the mirror.
    Let it lay flat on the carpet for a few hours before you reinstall assembly on the wall.
    You should be good to go...

RS250Ape likes this.
  11. RS250Ape

Thanks Rico. That seems like a sound plan.

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Friend bleed out? Like as in totally bleed out? :eek:

13. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

I work in glass fabrication and we regularly move pieces of mirror that size with two cups, or just by hand with gloves. Mirror is annealed, so it won't explode like tempered glass. If it does get a run (crack) in it, it may break into large pieces of glass sharper than razor.

Glass is inherently strong. Just be cautious and you'll be fine. If you plan on lifting it out of the metal casing, grab a buddy and each one of you can use a cup at either end to lift it out. 1/4" glass is only about 3 pounds per square foot.

RS250Ape and omatter34 like this.
  14. omatter34

Yeah, as in dead. If memory serves me, the guy and his wife were working together. Big mirror and a gust of wind caught the wife off guard. The sheet broke and he tried to save it to protect the wife. He died by the van and the wife almost didn't make it either.

15. omatter34

We lifted sheets that we're much larger than yours with 2 cups and a hand to balance it.

16. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Be careful with the back coating of the glass. If you scratch through the back mirror coating it will be visible from the front. I'm sure you already know this, but just in case.

RS250Ape likes this.
  17. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Trust the suction cups, at least that's what the last safelite guy said to me before he asked for a quick hand throwing a windshield in a weird car. It's odd thinking they hold but they are strong.

RS250Ape likes this.
  18. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

after you put the suction cups on, lift/tilt it so the long edge is still on the ground, then picking it up would not be a problem. You could rotate the mirror so either end it toward the ceiling. The mirror will still be flat vertically. Get some oldish racing gloves to help support the bottom while moving it.

19. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Throw it out and buy a new one.

eggfooyoung likes this.
  20. RS250Ape

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    I trust the suction cups. I was more concerned about lifting it unevenly causing torsion or bowing to the glass.