1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lift tables

Discussion in 'General' started by motomadman217, Dec 2, 2020.

1. motomadman217

motomadman217 Well-Known Member

Lets talk lift tables. Was thinking on getting a Handy SAM 1200 but then saw this deal on a black widow. Anyone have any experience with the black widow stands? Just for a home shop, but dont want to buy junk either. None of my bikes are ever going to go on a harbor freight stand btw. https://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-lift-tables/p/BW-PROLIFT-HD/

SpeedyE likes this.
  2. Tim_B730

Tim_B730 Active Member

Following. I'm tempted on buying one also.

SpeedyE likes this.
  3. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Been looking around too.

We have a pair of the Black Widow lifts at the garage. Much better than the HF lift, but isn't amazing nice. It works and gets the job done. I trusted the wheel vice enough to hold up the VFR SF without worrying all night if it would fall over from a bump.

The K&L lifts are on my radar. Around $1600, but I know it's going to get a ton of use. But I could have 2 of the black widows for the same price, so long-term and short term project.

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Looks so much like the Handy, except the warranty (1 year for the BW, limited lifetime for the Handy), I have to wonder where BW got the design and, more importantly, who's building it for them.
    Basically the same MSRP on their respective home websites. Handy says "Made in USA", Black Widow says "Based in Wisconsin".

When raising the table in Black Widow's vid, it momentarily pitches towards the ramp before leveling out. My Handy never did that - straight up/straight down. In other words, I'd be strapping my shit down on the BW before I ever hit the up pedal. What happens when it comes down? Rocking a few hundred pounds or more back and forth in the operation of a lift doesn't appeal to me at all.

I never worry about strapping anything on my Handy when raising or lowering the table.

Just sayin'.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    TLR67 and SpeedyE like this.
  5. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I'm all in if we're talking shit about harbor freight, but how is ripping off Handy's design and making it cheaper in China any different from what HF does?

CharlieY and SpeedyE like this.
  7. motomadman217

Doesnt really look like a rip off to me, looks like two different stands. One is lifted by an airbag and one is lifted by a pneumatic cylinder.

8. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

hmmmm....been using my HF lift for 10 years now...been solid as a rock and dead reliable.

Guess it comes down with what your budget is...used properly, and maintained, almost any of the lifts will do the job in a home garage.

9. CLM81

CLM81 Well-Known Member

The shop I work at replaced 4 lifts. The owner asked me where we should get them. Handy and KL where the only real choices. So we got 4 SAM Handy lifts. Not so sure about the air bag lift I like the old one with the lift cylinder. The BW and Direct lifts we didnt even look at. I will also say the Snap on lifts we had didnt hold up and I never really liked them anyway so Im glad they are gone

10. motomadman217

The more I look into it the more I think i am going to go with the SAM 1200. Anyone know anyone that can get me one in Michigan? Saw them online for 1060 then shipping for me would be just less than $200.

11. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

Get in touch with TLR67 here on the board he can hook you up with a lift. I bought two a few years ago and have been very happy with the results.

gapman789 likes this.
  12. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I've got one as well. It's been flawless and makes basic service and maintenance much more enjoyable.

OP, Have you ever seen or used a HF lift in person? For home use it's perfect.

Jon Wilkens and Gixxerguy855 like this.
  13. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I’ve had a HF lift for over 10 years and it’s great. I don’t do harbor freight stuff but my ex wife got it for me as a gift and it’s still the best thing I have from the marriage. :D

Not sure if they still use the shitty wheel chock, but I bolted a handy chock to mine.

BigBird and CharlieY like this.
  14. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I can give you a quote on one if needed... Send me a EMail to marcperrone67@yahoo give me your Zipcode and classify if business or residential delivery...

SpeedyE likes this.
  15. motomadman217

Yes i have, I have seen them in a store and have also seen one in person at a buddys garage. Also saw a 600 fall off one when a weld broke.

16. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Bought a sam 1200 this summer and I really like it.I also bought the dolly for it as my garage is only 19x19 and I have 4 bikes,so I have to move stuff around and the dolly was worth the hundred bucks.Lift works great with the clamp and a rear stand,never have to strap a bike down,so nice not having to crawl around on the floor,plus it should have good resale value when I finally quit riding and wrenching.

17. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Just tried....says mailbox under maintenance.

18. motomadman217

just now saw the email, i sent him a message on here

cav115 likes this.
  19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Email is fine on my side... It’s Yahoo.com BTW...

20. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Well, I can understand your thoughts on them then. That's the first I've ever heard of that happening though.