1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life is a series of dogs...

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Dec 14, 2016.

1. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Our old shepherd mix Dee had a stroke last night and had us thinking we'd have to put her down. She seemed better this morning, but we still headed to the vet, prepared for the worst. The vet surprised us with a hopeful prognosis. It seems that many dogs that survive the initial event, end up compensating for it and will be at or near where they started in about three days. To celebrate, we went to the shelter and adopted another dog. No name yet, but she likes the old dog and is currently tearing it up with the other dog.

sheepofblue, j cal, SpeedyE and 9 others like this.
  2. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Great idea. When we had to put our dog down, it was nice we already had another dog in the house to help us through.

SpeedyE, LilBabyGirl and Metalhead like this.
  4. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

That was actually my train of thought for the dog we adopted in February. She would be lost without Dee. Hopefully the new pup will be able to get her through it when the time comes.

SpeedyE and Metalhead like this.
  5. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Ross, bless you for adopting.

[​IMG]

6. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Research vestibular disease before you accept a stroke diagnosis.

7. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I honor anyone that takes in ANY animal.

SpeedyE and dsmitty37 like this.
  8. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Good job Ross! Dogs are the best thing in the world!

9. BC

BC Well-Known Member

"Walker" is gonna help Dee through her golden years. :D

SpeedyE likes this.
  10. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Got dammit man, right in the feels. :(

SpeedyE and panthercity like this.
  11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I'm trying to convince my wife we need another one. Progress is slow but steady. :D

SpeedyE likes this.
  12. caferace

caferace No.

No wonder you put up with the forks. :D

-jim

BigBird likes this.
  13. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

It's been 2 years since we lost our last dog (the 4th one, all but one named Casey). The wife takes it harder than me so said she was done with dogs. Maybe the above story will change her mind...Need another mutt around here.
    PS, dogs don't care what you call them and its easier on us if we don't have to remember any new names.;)

SpeedyE likes this.
  14. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Damit man,
    Stop putting Shaniqwa on a pedestal

15. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

The vet actually diagnosed vestibular, but said the actual cause of it is pretty fuzzy. I'm really hoping old Dee can bounce back from this, but she got worse over night.

16. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Saw this on the facetoobs a while back......

In the dog world, humans are elves that routinely live to be 500+ years old.......

“They live so long…but the good ones still bond with us for our entire lives. These immortals are so kind we must be good friends to them.”

“Now I am old. The fur around my muzzle is grey and my joints ache when we walk together. Yet she remains unchanged, her hair still glossy, her skin still fresh, her step still sprightly. Time doesn’t touch her and yet I love her still.”

“For generations, he has guarded over my family. Since the days of my great-great-great-great-great-grandfather he has kept us safe. For so long we thought him immortal. But now I see differently, for just as my fur grows gray and my joints grow stiff, so too do his. He did not take in my children, but gave them away to his. I will be the last that he cares for. My only hope is that I am able to last until his final moments. The death of one of his kind is so rare. The ending of a life so long is such a tragedy. He has seen so much, he knows so much. I know he takes comfort in my presence. I only wish that I will be able to give him this comfort until the end.”

SpeedyE likes this.
  17. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

God love you for adopting. Lost my 13 year old in September and I'm still a basket. (RIP my dear friend.)
    Hope all works out for you and your sweet girl. Good luck Bud.

SpeedyE likes this.
  18. jim weaver

jim weaver Well-Known Member

dogs are special people. love you .with out reserve .every loss is like loosing a child if you live with them their whole lives

SpeedyE, dsmitty37 and Sabre699 like this.
  19. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

I don't envy you, regarding the inevitable. I too am a hardcore dog lover. I live alone with my 2 boys. Had to put down 3 over the last 10 yrs. 2 old age, while the other one was poisoned in some manner. I cried for all of them. For me its like losing a beloved child.

Gets harder as the yrs go by. Just raised yet another pup to young adulthood. He about wore me out, and makes me sometimes wonder if I can handle more puppies as I get even older.

SpeedyE likes this.
  20. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I have 4 and wasn't going to post up pics but can't help it. We love these little fuckers so much!

Soph and Jojo.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_5856.jpg