1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's talk triggers... for guns

Discussion in 'General' started by Clay, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

jasonhise likes this.
  2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I can stomach that price better than many other triggers on the market.

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

4. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Have a Geissele SSA in one, love it, for another I tried their Geissele G2S which is basically the SSA with a different hammer pin retention and they don't MPI every one of them but made on the same tooling as the SSA. So far so good and you can catch them on sale for about $120 if you keep watching, I got this one from PSA.

5. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Just spent less than $20 on an AR trigger and it’s as good feeling as my Timney triggers. I liked it so much I ordered 5 more and am putting them in all my full auto AR lowers.

6. Philip Mirgliotta

Philip Mirgliotta Well-Known Member

What trigger is it?

7. stymie12000

stymie12000 Well-Known Member

I've had a few AR triggers over the years. Really depends on how you are going to use the rifle.

The absolute best trigger that I have is the Giessele national match trigger. The pull weight is fully adjustable. This is what I have in my precision AR. Its a 2 stage trigger overall pull weight is 1#12oz with the break coming in at 6oz. Great for precision but too light for anything else. I guess you could set the trigger heavier but there are cheaper options out there (Giessele SSA-E).

For competition (pcc/uspsa) and for hunting i prefer a single stage trigger. I have a CMC 2.5# competition trigger in my hunting AR and a Hyperfire in my PCC. Both come in at just about 2#. The Hyperfire has a little less pre/post travel vs the CMC, thats why I like it over the CMC for competition. And I like the CMC over the Hyperfire for hunting since it does not have the adjustable plastic pad for your trigger. Basically the CMC is a little more minimalist.

8. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Have both. The fostech is better by a good margin. Can’t out run the bolt with it, pull is better. I’ve seen some issues with the parts peening with heavy use.

The Franklin works but the safety is ridiculously stiff. Pull is a little bit shitty in comparison to a good trigger.

9. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Just for clarification, you are talking about the Fostech for the AR, correct?
    I didn't see any other options there, but just wanted to confirm.

10. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Yes, Fostech Echo for the AR

Jedb likes this.
  11. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I’m pleased with the ALG defense mil-spec in my 16.5” 5.56 AR, but the Geissele National Match DMR trigger in my 24” Grendel is amazing.

12. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I installed my CMC 2x2lb 2S trigger in my AR-10 tonight. I consider myself fairly mechanical and enjoyed taking apart the old trigger and handle. Didn't realize there were springs behind the handle that hold one of the pins and safety selector in place. After watching a video also didn't realize I didn't have to take it completely apart. :D That's how you learn though, take it apart then make it work again! Anyhow, I got the straight trigger vs the regular curved one and the takeup portion of the travel ended up hitting the bottom of the trigger guard. Took me about an hour of uninstalling, taking everything apart and looking at it closely before I realized why the trigger wouldn't release. :D Ended up grinding off about a mm of the bottom of the trigger and a mm off the inside of the guard. Now it works like a charm. No idea when I'll get to shoot it but I sure look forward to it. The stock trigger felt like someone dumped a bucket of sand into it. Now it's smooth as a baby's bottom.

Don't know if I'll do anything with the AR-15 or not. I consider it a close quarters weapon so don't know if a better trigger will really make a difference. I need to shoot it some before I'll know what I want to do with it. However, I'll know how to easily install one if I do change it out. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

13. Quicktoy

JP enterprise spring kit

14. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

I switched all my ar style rifles over to velocity triggers. I won one at a match and changed out my Geissele to try, and I haven't looked back.

15. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

About to finally put an SD-E in my MK216. It's got an ALG in it currently which is decent but not in the same league.

Might try a Rise Armament in one of the AR15's and see how that goes. just about any aftermarket trigger is better than the standard "LPK" trigger.

16. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Could somebody give me the Cliff’s notes or Dumby’s guide to triggers?

Is it one of those things that you don’t realize how bad it is until you shoot something nice? I’m pretty new to guns and currently only have the two pistols I plan to carry. I don’t have any gripes about either of my current triggers but I’ve also never shot with an upgraded trigger. Is it worth the upgrade on a carry pistol or is it just a competition rifle thing?

17. Quicktoy

I don’t carry a Glock without a Johnny Glocks trigger. He changes the pretravel, the reset, the travel, the wall, the pull, everything about it.