1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's Talk Food

Discussion in 'General' started by Trunxgp1224, Dec 6, 2017.

1. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Not using the presets yet. 12 minutes high pressure (10 minutes natural release) for white rice and 25 minutes high pressure (12 minutes natural release) for brown rice. 1:1 rice to water for white and 1:1.25 rice to water for brown (after rinsing, moderate drain). Downside is no "crispy/burned residue" to enjoy when scraping the pot (if you are a leftovers/scraps guy like me :)).

Regarding natural release, make sure to turn off the "warm/hold" function, otherwise it keeps the burner on low. Turn off the warm/hold during natural release to prevent continued cooking.

If you like soft boiled eggs, three minutes steam (on a trivet) and three minutes warm hold, then hard release and dunk/rinse in cold/ice water to set. Warm and gooey eggs! If you do a batch, cook for four minutes and three minutes on warm/hold then dunk/rinse in cold/ice water before yo put them in the fridge. They keep for a week (we write the cook date and toss after a week).

Chicken stock and then chicken/rice soup is dead easy. Lots of veggies with the carcass for an hour (toss what you don't like), then lots of veggies with the rice for 12 minutes.

Next up is a pasta/chicken soup. Did a bean soup (with canned beans, dried beans next), turned out pretty good (mama doesn't like beans, but she liked this one). Need to find the recipe again because I had NO idea she would like it. Was just using scraps. That's the great thing about the instant pot, you can use whatever leftovers you have to make a "stew." I'm sure this is a classic pressure cooker M.O., but it's new to me.

Phl218 likes this.
  2. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

Fried rice and orange chicken from yesterday. crock pot came in today so I'll be trying ribs in there tonight.

or.jpg

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ribs in a crock pot? I'm sure they'll be good but why? :D

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  4. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

I'm hungry

5. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Pizza

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Now we're back to having light and power for powered cooking tools (which includes our electronically controlled oven) I need to figure out what I'm making today.

Need to make pralines and some cookies as gift stuff. Going to look for something pork roasty in the instapot I think.

7. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

becuase braised short-ribs are a good thing?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I guess. I just prefer em smoked. I have done slow baked before, good but not the same. I do also have some ribs in the freezer, might have to crock pot them just to get over my bias.

9. Trunxgp1224

These are going in the pot with the sourkurat. I've smoked them in the past as well.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Did that last week with kielbasa. Not sure I'd do ribs in kraut but as long as it makes you happy go for it :D

11. Trunxgp1224

My ex used to make it, apparently its a big thing in Bavaria.

12. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

[Where's the I'm with Stupid Smiley when you need it :rolleyes:]