1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets talk about the Hole

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Apr 11, 2019.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Probably nothing ever...or maybe not for another 100-200-1000yrs from now when we are out cruising deep space. If we dont kill each other off first.

And yes this isnt a "picture" of a black hole. Someone didnt just point an instamatic at the center of M87 and click a picture and go to the fotomat. But even though Herr Professor Doktor Einstein's work of over 100yrs ago predicted this no one had ever imaged one before. That's how a lot of science goes...you predict XY and Z and then try to observe it and confirm your math, model, theory, whatever. The other way is some goes...huh. Why da Fuq did that do that? then they try to figure out the math, theory, etc do explain what they observed.

So the fact that they saw a circular shape of radiation, circling a lack of radiation means that the universe seems to be following the rules. (Unlike some politicians i know...ha ha.)
    That is very important. They collected so much data doing this it was easier to physically carry the drives from location to location to download and analyze the data. I suspect they will be analyzing this data for years and find somethings out that maybe were unexpected. Maybe not.

Ducti89 and cha0s#242 like this.
  2. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Cruising DeepSpace.... Warp 3 Mr Sulu.

3. ton

ton Arf!

all science is is essentially unproven. that's why we do science. is there money in it? of course. but (and because) everything you see around you and use in your daily lives is the result of previous science. everything that's made our lives better is the result of incremental improvements and discoveries. that we don't see a direct application of today's discovery RIGHT NOW is hardly a reason not to do it. or not to be amazed. or to decry the thing we don't understand as hocus pocus or bullshit. i guarantee that people way smarter than us are using the technology developed and contemplating the discoveries made in these programs in ways that will be applicable in our lifetimes.

pscook likes this.
  4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I developed a love of science as a kid.
    Someone showed me how to mix bleach
    and ammonia and drip it on ants so
    they'd curl up and start smoking.
    Been hooked on that science shit ever since.

5. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

A light-year is about 6 trillion miles.

This black hole is estimated to be 54 million light-years away.

That is quite a ways out there....

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Uber gonna charge you round trip fare for it...

7. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

This simple statement is lost on most.

pscook and motoboy like this.
  8. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

The usefulness is that Black Holes matter.

9. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Ok, this begs the question How? What use is a BlackHole or What does knowing of their existence or proof there of change anything ?

10. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

:whoosh:....:crackup:

Sabre699 likes this.
  11. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Not Really...I enjoy being obtuse...:)

motoracer1100 likes this.
  12. „I don’t know anything about Science, but I’m against it.“

ChemGuy and pscook like this.
  13. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

It will lead to advancements in welding. :D

14. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Duh. Its useful. Do NOT drive your spaceship into that thing.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  15. cf

cf Well-Known Member

the tangible usefulness is that we know more about the world we live in than we did before. our knowledge of how the world works is what enables all the things we take for granted today. you cannot on the one hand accept that satellite based GPS systems give legitimate, real information, while also saying that the same scientific methodology in the same discipline that made satellites possible is now bogus and fake.

scientists are not all in cahoots with each other, quite the opposite, they are all in continuous competition with each other, if they believe a theory to be wrong they will work all their life to prove what they believe to be correct, and the amount of personal feuds and bad blood between scientists (in all disciplines) can make rainey/schwantz, sheene/roberts, look tame by comparison.

science is the reason we know the difference between austenite and martensite, the reason we have x-rays and scanning electron microsopes, the reason tires have different compounds that can be tuned and manipulated. and the beauty of science is that nothing is gospel, anyone is free to prove anything wrong and no claim is ever taken at face value. for hundreds of years we called Isaac Newton's theories 'laws' until some patent clerk from Switzerland proved that he was wrong. Close, and good enough for 'rough' calculation, but wrong.

if you believe this to be hocus pocus, do the math, show your work, prove it wrong.

pscook likes this.
  16. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I probably don't know shit about space shit....LOL :crackup:
    X-60A....BlackHoles get Filled with $$$.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  17. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com