1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legit Charities for Fallen and Surviving Heros

Discussion in 'General' started by deathwagon, Dec 4, 2016.

1. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

I'm looking for Christmas gift donation ideas for my wife's Grandfather, a decorated WWII Veteran and D-Day invasion survivor. He is financially secure and has no desire for new material things. I'd like to make a donation in his name to a legitimate charity, but don't want to give to an org that keeps a large portion for "Administrative Fees", while shafting our service men and women. Do you guys have any recommendations?

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

IAVA

SGTJimbo likes this.
  3. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

VetMotorsports at www.vetmotorsports.org

Executive director (Pete Cline) has raced with WERA. Admin fees are less than 10%.

SGTJimbo likes this.
  4. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

5. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

https://hooahinc.org/

If there's a chapter near you check it out. It''s legit as they come. In order to be a chapter president, you must have served in the 75th Ranger Regiment. Nobody in the organization is paid, not even the National President.

Our local is f#cking incredible. Their mission is to lower the rate of Veteran suicides, and they're really making a difference. I can't say enough about them.

The caveat is that each chapter is independently run, and they're all involved in varying capacity. I don't know for sure, but I think our chapter is one of the more active ones, so the results in your area might not be as incredible as they are here. Just take a look.

6. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Folds of Honor.

www.foldsofhonor.org

I have had the honor of personaly meeting Major Rooney and having very candid conversations about his org. Very passionate and dedicated to helping the families of fallen soldiers.

I have a feeling you're going to get a ton of different answers to this question, and kinda like the airfence, Not sure you can get a bad one. Just find the one which speaks to you.

7. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

Semper fi fund. Or irreverent warriors.

r6fast likes this.
  8. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

Wounded warrior foundation.

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

No

10. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I'm looking into a few of them now.

Damn straight. It was the Wounded Warrior scandal that made me want to seek recommendations.

panthercity and t11ravis like this.
  11. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

I have a friend who has benefited directly from Semper Fi Fund, they are doing some amazing things. The Gary Sinise Foundation is another he has heard really good things from.

SGTJimbo and daveknievel like this.
  12. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Dude...?

13. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

DAV (Disabled American Vets).

14. TSC_113

TSC_113 Look At me!!!

15. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

^^^^ vet2track is good people. Jim, is an avid track day participant, combat vet, and wera racer. stand up guy, that corners low. his, idea is a good one. Ski

16. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

Strait up guys I know nothing about them being a bad organization. I have always thought they were a good cause and have given money to them when asked. I'll do some research, was just trying to offer a suggestion. Pardon my ignorance.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He ever needs anything - even if it's just some gate passes to bring people to a race tell him to get in touch.

SGTJimbo likes this.
  18. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

will do. Ski

19. SGTJimbo

SGTJimbo Vet2Track.org

Thank you for the kind words guys!

I am Jim, the President and founder of Vet2Track.

We work specifically with veterans with PTSD. We ensure our veterans get the counseling they need, we give them a mentor and get them on the track.

Track riding requires the same focus we had rolling out the gate for each mission. It allows them to get the adrenaline in a controlled environment instead of the street. As all of us know the camaraderie at the track is unlike anywhere else. I haven't found closer outside the military. Veterans usually feel at home pretty quickly. Track riding also gives them something to train for, something to look for and goals. All ofi these things are what we as veterans miss. It also keeps Joe from killing himself on the street chasing the adrenaline.

The track, the people and the atmosphere literally saved me. Now I help others through Vet2Track.

We are a small organization, we have zero paid staff, even I pay for my own track time. (Unless I'm coaching)

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me through PM here or my info is on the Vet2Track.org website.

We also have some cool t-shirts etc
    store.vet2track.org

20. SGTJimbo

SGTJimbo Vet2Track.org

Thank you!