1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leftist Olympics 2020

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by blkduc, Jan 19, 2019.

1. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

I hate seeing Tulsi act like these idiots to stay in the fight. It's awkward, like watching a little kid cussing. She's better than this.

2. blkduc

Can any of you liberals please explain to me what that question meant about Trump "rolling back civil rights for gays"? Please, I want to know what liberals think Trump has done that is anti-gay, especially civil rights that he has rolled back.

3. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

It is truly incredible how much they make shit up and nobody calls them out on it.

4. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The Washington Post actually did a decent job of fact checking last night's debate. It called out a decent amount of the BS said on stage last night given their history of Trump bashing.

5. blkduc

Did they address that question? I really want to know what the liberal brain thinks about this because my gay friends don't think this way at all.

6. 2blueYam

No. That wasn't a focus of the debate which was mostly about immigration, income inequality and health care.

Here is some of what they are complaining about in rough terms. I eliminated that stuff that was complete BS and only included a couple of real items and some which are 1/2 BS:

2017 decision to ban Transgender from military service.
    Support of HHS decision allowing healthcare provides to deny service to LGBTQ+ persons on religious beliefs.
    Supposedly a new propsed rule removing LGBTQ+ people from discrimination protections in the ACA. Since this is just a proposed rule at this point not much here.
    This last one is the one that probably has the most teeth and could actually do long term damage to the LGBTQ+ community's rights. Appointing Federal judges with anti-LGBTQ+ views. Howard Nielson Jr. as an example.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

If I had to guess (and I do, because I don’t cry over empty parking lots), I’d say the military prohibition on gender benders would be their millstone.

8. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Trump needs to show up to the debate against the donks in a T-shirt that says “your plan is working in Venezuela”

9. blkduc

Ok so the baseline is flawed and that's where this is coming from. We all have the same Constitutionally protected Civil Rights and Trump has fulfilled his duty to protect all of them. The notion that healthcare is a protected Civil Right is hogwash.

cav115 likes this.
  10. 2blueYam

It is less about health care as a Civil Right and more about Sexual Orientation / Transgender is not on the list of protected classes. With that said, it is also fairly stupid of businesses to discriminate based on it and perhaps it should be included in future constitutional amendments and laws. I have the feeling Trump and many of his supporters would not be in favor of such changes to the Civil Rights act.

The HHS and ACA rule changes would be violations of the Civil Rights Act if LGBTQ+ were a protected class.
    On the other hand the EEOC does consider Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity as protected from discrimination in terms of employment (under Sex discrimination), so who knows. It is a bit of a mixed bag right now.

blkduc likes this.
  11. blkduc

Interesting, thanks. This is good conversation. I'm at work and can't give this my full attention right now but you've given me stuff to think about for later. My comment about HC being a right is something the left has tried to lie about for years, it was part of the reason we got Obama care. Remember the guy that created it said that the voters were so stupid it was easy to pass it. The left has repeated this lie so many times that people now just believe it so it definitely is a building block to this whole conversation.
    :beer:

12. 2blueYam

Some are saying Healthcare is a right, and from a general human rights standpoint they may feel that is actually correct. I would not presume to differ with the feelings of people that feel that way, after the Deceleration of Independence talks about "certain unalienable rights", which means they would be rights even if they were not spelled out. Others can feel differently and their feelings can be right for them as well. From the point of view of the US Constitution or laws it clearly is not a right unless you are trying to stretch the right to "Life" to include healthcare.

Some are saying it should be a right, and if that is their view and platform, then they are free to put it forward to try and get the appropriate laws and / or constitutional amendments to make it so. That is all part of our democratic process.

13. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

What "Rights", cost others cash money?
    "The Right to Healthcare" (there is none IMO)
    That in itself is an infringement on my right to Life Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness

cav115 and kangasj like this.
  14. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

My bigger issue with considering HC a “right” is that no one has any “right” to someone else’s labor. Aren’t they discussing reparations for essentially, exactly that??

Britt likes this.
  15. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Could argue healthcare is life in a modern society just as nukes are part of liberty in a modern society. And I sure can see the line item for my liberty in the budget. There are all sorts of federal projects that make this a more enjoyable country to live in...? Stretch, but everything costs money it seems.

16. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

We have a description for the scenario whereby one has a right to another persons labor. It’s commonly referred to as “slavery”.

cav115, blkduc, auminer and 1 other person like this.
  17. blkduc

These ding dongs are crazy. I like the Asian dude's plan, let's give every person $1,000 a month. :crackup:

These softball questions are so frustrating, wish I was asking them questions.

18. blkduc

Oh snap! Harris just called out Biden on his racism!!

19. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

Okay...Healthcare is a right. Now go buy it.

20. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

end gun violence, health care, daca... global warming.. Obama Did it all... Beat OMB $1000 Freedom Dividend... LOL