1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lease or purchase

Discussion in 'General' started by Tonyp425, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Tonyp425

Tonyp425 Well-Known Member

I know this comes up all the time however my wife just received a promotion that requires her to drive. So she was given a fuel card and 250.00 a month car allowance. We estimate she will drive almost10,000 miles a year strictly for work. So should we lease or purchase a new car.

2. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

Leasing depends on the rates and residual but id Lease the cheapest most reliable car possible, a base prius

3. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Is the car that she currently have reliable? If so, use the monthly allowance to maintain her current vehicle.

4. Tonyp425

Its an 02 trail blazer we have been looking into upgrading for the last couple of years. She really wants a Tesla. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that yet. As new as they are

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I test drove one while visiting a buddy near DC that has been trying to get me interested in them for forever. It's the wrong car for me, but I was very, very impressed. If the car's stats fit what you need, I wouldn't hesitate. The salesman knew I wasn't buying one before we even left the lot and did a very soft sell during the test showcasing the features and I was pretty blown away. Granted, I'm pretty sure it was the premium one I drove, but for about 10 minutes on the highway, I didn't touch a pedal or provide a steering input, and it drove itself. And well. And the ludicrous launch (or whatever they call it) accelerated faster than anything I've ever driven before, and I've been fortunate enough to drive some pretty fast stuff. I read up on them a lot since then and I almost wish the car was something I needed. My takeaway thought after the test drive was, "I didn't quote realize we were here already" in terms of the tech. My only complaint was with the display. I'm a sucker for gauges. I get that the car doesn't need conventional gauges, but it created a bit of a disconnect for me just looking as what are basically iPads for all my info. Not sure if they are customizable, but I'm betting they are.

The auto drive and self park and summon features are incredible. It feels like a high end car. Handling was great considering the weight. Build quality was phenomenal from what I experienced and felt.

He has one of the 35k ones on reserve. I'll be very interested to see what that's like. I have no idea on the sticker price of the one I drove? 60k maybe?

6. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

No personal experience with tesla, but from what I know of them and have heard, they're supposed to be quite amazing. Only electric car I would even fathom considering. The othersi wouldn't take if they were given to me. I'd at least do some research.

7. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

And for what it's worth, I would not have looked twice at any hybrid, let alone an electric, prior to that test drive. They're very cool cars.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Won't the fuel card be kind of pointless if you buy a tesla?

How much non-work driving? What were you considering upgrading to prior to the promotion? 10k really isn't that much. Since work is paying for fuel and $250/mo, I'd take your previous considerations and open it up a little to account for the extra money, extra miles (will depreciate faster), and potential work utility.

L8RSK8R and Jed like this.
  9. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Go buy a used Prius. They're dirt cheap right now since gas is down.

throwdown likes this.
  10. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Lease cars, buy home

11. Tonyp425

So we bought a 2016 santefe SUV the bigger luxury model. We wasn't exactly happy with it but my mother in law loved it. So we sold it to her.. we are thinking BMw SUV or maybe a Subaru outback. I'm not sure

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You did this since the original post 2 hours and 27 minutes ago?

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  13. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I'm confused here...

Metalhead likes this.
  14. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

:confused:

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

TonyP....rocket speed forward, no time to wait on the Beeb!!!! :crackup::crackup:

L8RSK8R and rd49 like this.
  16. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I was going to say no whiny, procrastinating here, bam, bought.

17. Lavana

Lavana The coming

Only in "new" car purchase I suppose?

18. Tonyp425

No guys this happened last February lol. And haven't had any time all summer to do any shopping around. I am not a fan of most new vehicles so I have no clue whats out there

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

What are your requirement besides it has doors and wheels?

20. Tonyp425

SUV she sometimes has to deliver large boxes of stuff on occasion. And I wouldn't mind if it could handle a trailer