1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

learn me on shock fitment. (penske triple for zx6r)

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Trainwreck, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

Looking into getting set up with a Penske triple clicker rear. Obviously I shop used first (especially for an 11 year old bike)

Penske site shows that the 8987 triple is the unit needed for the 09-12 ZX6R. This also happens to be the same number that the CBR1000RR uses for 04-07.

Are these shocks pretty interchangeable?

I'm hoping to buy a used shock I've been eyeing for a really good price and be able to send it out for a refresh/spring change and save a good $5-600.

I'm relatively new to racing bikes, but am i even on the right page with this idea?

Thanks.

2. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

Call Penske. They have very good customer service dept. and can tell you everything you need to know including changing parts around to fit your bike if needed. Not always cheap of course but but still pretty reasonable.

3. Trainwreck

I was going to give them a ring if I didn't get any info from here. I hate calling places unless I know I'm not going to waste their time. I'd love to just be able to call and say "hey i bought this shock, im sending it in for a rebuild/respring. are you ready for my CC info?" lol

I looked at the part diagrams and it seems that they have different clevis sizes and a unique "r6" option.

4. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

That's how they make their money and the customer is happier when they get the correct info and don't blame them for bad information from somebody else.

5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’m going to guess, the shock body is the only thing interchangeable. The spring, valving, bushings, etc, are all going to be different, because the suspension designs on the two bikes are totally different.

Eric Trinkley is your guy at Penske. He’s a hell of shock builder and super-knowledgeable in what Penske components fit together to make the desired piece.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Penskes are modular... since youre going to rebuild anyway...

Newyork, ducnut and Trainwreck like this.
  7. Trainwreck

This is what I was getting at. The one im looking at alreaady has a spring for my weight actually, and it looks like a refresh and possible clevis swap are all I may need. If thats the case, i should be able to save some scratch for tires/race fees/fuel.

ducnut likes this.
  8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Ive done similiar stuff on low cost projects...

9. Trainwreck

I just sent the moto rep at Penske an email. Hopefully he responds soon.

Thanks guys.

Will update with the info to wrap up this "tech" thread. lol

ducnut likes this.
  10. Trainwreck

Just to wrap this up.. It can be done.

But after dropping $450 on a used shock and another $900 for a rebuild with the correct components, i may as well just pull the trigger on a fresh one anyway.

"Hello Billy,

To convert the CBR1000RR shock to a ZX6R it can be done. A rough estimate without seeing the CBR shock would be around $550-$750 in parts and labor would be $175. The reason for the $200 difference is we might be able to use the shaft from the CBR shock for the ZX6. It would be 3mm shorter if we do use the shaft from the CBR. If you decide to make it the same length as the ZX6 spec the shaft is $175.

Any shock can be converted to fit another make and model but sometimes with the parts needed to be changed and the initial cost of the shock it gets close to the cost of a new shock.

I hope this makes sense. If you have any questions you can call me.

Thank you

Eric Trinkley - Motorcycle Department Manager "

dcemotorsports and ducnut like this.
  11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

That’s usually how these deals play out. I don’t even bother looking at used, anymore.

12. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

I just bought an Elka triple from another member on here and there was mentioned in the thread that another member has two of them for sale if you’re interested. 09-12 zx6r set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The main issue with Elka is their lack of quality. I was talking to a former dealer of Elka product and they said the manufacturing tolerances were horrible. Supposedly, they tried to work with Elka to help them improve their quality, but, ended up dropping them.

Elka used to be huge in the ATV market. I was talking to another shop who sell Chinese-made, housebrand shocks and he said ATV guys generally don’t care about quality as much as wanting something better than stock, for cheap. He felt like that was where Elka belonged.

15. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

Ouch. I’ll be happy if I get my $300 worth out of it. Funny thing is I actually bought this Elka shock instead of servicing/refreshing/revalving the stocker.

That said My buddy has one on his track bike and he rails that thing so they can’t be all that bad.

16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The shock isn’t what’s making your buddy fast. ;)

Newyork likes this.
  17. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

True

18. Trainwreck

My suspension tuner is familiar with Penske and Ohlins so that's what i'll be going with.. This is a cheap ZX6R I've just tossed together and was able to source a nice used set of forks with GP internals sprung for my weight. So I figured I would try and land a used rear shock as well. I didn't want to drop $1,600 on a new shock for a bike I have a little over $3,000 into. This is only my 2nd year in the sport and i'm trying to be budget friendly as I learn the ropes. So far, this is way cheaper than racing cars.. but because of that I'm able to be at the track more, which is making the cost about the same. lol In my head though track/race time is more valuable than upgrading suspension that I am prolly not to coming to the limitations of.

Last years ZX6R was even cheaper..(maybe $2,000 into the bike) I did that on purpose so I wouldn't care about throwing it down the road. (which I did the last weekend of CCS lol) I crashed that thing 6-7 times in 2019 and it didnt even phase me. I'd just replace clip-on bars, foot pegs, tape/ziptie the body work back together and head back out. For my first year on bikes I figured that was the perfect way to go about it.

This year I have a little more money but a lot more time into it, and it's definitely effected my "I don't care about crashing" view point. However, because I haven't crashed yet, I've been able to be on track more. lol So I've still gotten faster..

I was bottoming out my forks at Gingerman a few weeks ago (sprung for my weight, and fresh OEM rebuild) So I was gunna send my spare forks to RaceTech for Gold valve and re-spring. But I found some forks stuffed with GP stuff and sprung about 10lbs heavier, that were fresh rebuilds for the same price as all the RaceTech stuff.. so I swooped them.

I may send my extra OEM shock to RaceTech for Gold Valve and re-spring though.. I feel like that would prolly be better than my stock rebuild/re-spring.

There's still SO MUCH stuff I need to learn.. from suspension, and what little changes can do to the whole bike, to getting the hang of what the bike is trying to tell me.. All last year and the beginning of this year, I could not feel the front tire at all.. I couldn't understand WTF was going on. The after multiple set up changes with no real results for feedback, I simply tried new clip ons that came off the center of the forks instead of the front. Absolute game changer. I could feel the tire more, and I felt like my inputs were more effective and linear to my actual movement in regards to how the bike reacted.

I'm still changing my footpeg positions and seat height trying to dial that in. I feel like once I finally get comfortable on these things i'll start picking up more speed..

Currently my biggest issue is HUGE amounts of chatter on turn in. Happens as the brakes are fully released and I'm not yet on the throttle enough for maintenance or acceleration. Turns 8 and 9 at Gingerman are where its really bad. Feels like i'm riding a jackhammer up front. different things have helped. For T8 if i carry the brakes a bit longer and get on the throttle more agressive as i stand the bike up it helps. But because im on the brakes longer i need to adjust my entry line, because the bike tightens the corner up. For T9 (which is essentially a switchback from T8 if you've never been to G-man) if i stay in the throttle as I switch from the right side of the bike to the left it seems to help, but I start to run a little wider then I want.

I havent been able to ride with the new forks yet

I know the 09+ ZX6R is known for its chatter unless you're on Pirelli's or something soft.. I run Bridgestone V02 currently. I am going to try some Bridgestone R11's this weekend at BlackHawk Farms though. (STT days) Then I have a CCS race at Road America I'll switch back to the V02's for. I've heard multiple theories on how to get rid of the chatter.. From tires, to forks, to the rear shock, even theories on the slipper clutch.. When I was at RA for MotoAmerica, even the Graves ZX6R with Richie was bouncing like crazy through the Carousel though. So it seems like i'll just have to learn how to ride around it. lol

Sorry for the squirrel style rant/book.. I am very bored today.

rafa and Newyork like this.