1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last minute trip to Italy

Discussion in 'General' started by Bugslayer, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

So, the wife and I are headed to Italy in 10 days. I am going over to view a packaging machine I am buying for my company. It's a last minute deal so not much time to plan. We will travel on Friday and arrive Saturday the 19th in the afternoon.
    We will be arriving in Bologna and spend the night there. We then need to be in Cattolica (on the Adriatic sea, right by the San Marino race track) by the evening for a dinner meeting and then staying at a hotel in Cattolica. The next day we are at the factory to view the machine, then back to the hotel
    Then we are free to roam about. I have booked return flights for the following Saturday morning, so we have all week to see the sights.
    We are renting a car and we like to get off the beaten path, so to speak. Not really into the main stream tourist thing.

Open to suggestions!

There is a vintage race going at San Marino the weekend we arrive, so thinking about checking that out Sunday morning. Or maybe find a place downtown to watch the Moto GP race with the locals.

2. caferace

caferace No.

Do the Uccio thing and go to Tavullia, Rossi's hometown. It's a 25 minute drive from Cattolica. I'm sure they'll have the GP on there in one of his shrines. :D

-jim

3. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I would hit up the Ducati and Ferrari tours, maybe do some wine tours in Tuscany and visit Florence and Sienna.

If you have time the Cinque Terre just north of La Spezia is off the charts..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinque_Terre

[​IMG]

4. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

Eat the sh*t out of the food. Then do whatever you want. But I like the tour ideas too and vineyards.

5. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Wine Tasting for sure...it isn't just wine (at least when we were there)...it's all kinds of salamis, and cheeses too. Delicious!

6. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Move your departure time another week, you won't regret it. Amazing country (to be a tourist in, not to live)

Screw the car, rent a Vespa :)

Bologna is Suppose to be very nice, and more of a 'real' Italian city than Venice or Florance. The less tourists, the better the food, the crowds and the prices. Some of the worst meals I've had were in Venice, but the smaller towns were awesome.

And don't try to leave with a suitcase of Euroes; they've been cracking down at the airports.

7. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Make sure you try the ham :)

8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

9. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

This is exactly what I was going to say. If I were you I'd make a beeline for le Cinque Terre as soon as I was able.

10. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

Awesome ideas so far. Just what I was hoping for.
    All Iv'e been getting from family and friends has been Oh do Venice....Oh do Rome.....:down:.
    I like the Uccio idea for Sunday for sure.

So when we strike out to places unknown, should we book hotels ahead or just wing it?
    Hoping for decent weather!

Oh yeah, I knew the ham thing was coming :up:

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Rent a Fiat 500. Then spend the rest of the week learning how to say, "sorry, I'm not gay" in Italian.

12. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

Bed n Breakfast skip the hotels.

13. Yoyo

Yoyo Well-Known Member

Two countries at once

San Marino is kind of a country own it's own.
    (that is why it gets a GP)

Be sure to make a trip to the top of the mountain that it is on.
    I was there one time when the Mille Miglia was going through town.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Marino

14. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Just wing it. It's past tourist season so hotels will be easy to find. Some of the places you find on unplanned exploration are the best you will see.

Venere.com is a great site to book hotels through if you wanna set them up ahead of time though.

15. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

x 1,000!

Pizza in rome ruined pizza back home for like a month after we got back. Italians know how to eat!

16. caferace

caferace No.

Airbnb has a lot of listings in Italy and around San Marino..

-jim

17. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Rent a large SUV and drive around Rome.

18. Kelbor

Kelbor Well-Known Member

Eat at the small places (in the small towns and around the city) - avoid big city food, it sucks.

Grocery markets will be your friend for wine and snacks rather then official wine stores.

Last but not least, You're Canadian if anybody asks... Eh? (being american never greased any palms i've noticed - at least a few years ago)

19. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

20. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I've been all over the world twice and never noticed any different treatment. Couldn't really stomach calling myself Canadian.