1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Las Vegas shooting

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Metalhead, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nothing you said is fishy.

2. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Probably innocent enough but to the conspiracy nuts it screams of cover up

3. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

If you have a gallon of gasoline, punch several holes in it below the fuel level, then light the streams of fuel running out when the fuel level drops low enough to allow air to flow inside the can through the highest hole, it will burst because the flame front will go inside the can. BOOM! Well, maybe not boom but it will burst and throw flaming fuel all over hell and part of Kansas. :D

4. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

LOL, well, that's half of us. :D

5. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

One gallon vs an entire tank. That is the part that is very relevant. First off it might take hours for it to drain down to below the hole. Not impossible but if your goal is to set off a large capacity fuel tank a .308 is likely a poor choice.

6. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

It's been a long time since I took any math classes, but...

Assuming these are the tanks, they're about 80 ft in diameter, guesstimating 30 feet high, and he shoots one perfectly round .308 inch hole 15 feet up the side, it would take approximately 24 days to drain the tank to the level of the hole. Again, my math is VERY rusty. Also assumes the tank is freely vented at the top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Perhaps more concerning is the fact that you could walk up to within a grenade toss of those tanks without ANY barriers.

As I said earlier in this thread, our fuel infrastructure is laughably insecure. Actually, not laughably, FRIGHTENINGLY.

Gasoline infrastructure is no better than the pics above show for aviation fuel.

8. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

The tanks are vented very well. They have to be. If they are not, they crush like a pop can when you dispense flow out. If you remember your physics lessons about pressure and area, the bigger the tank the worse this issue is. They have to breathe in and out for volume changes, and heating cooling thermal changes. Here's a great visual from a demo:

9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It's only possible to harden them against half-assed attempts at sabotage, especially in urban areas.

10. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I suspect that we're discussing two different scenarios. What I'm talking about is the process of gasoline igniting into an explosion. The quantity doesn't matter. You're right in how long it takes depending on the size of the container. Bigger container = bigger explosion. :D

11. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

LOL, that would give anyone standing there watching it drain plenty of time to visit, maybe, Fla. Hell, in 24 days or so one could walk to Fla from Las Vegas. (maybe trot a bit also.):D

12. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Strange, that's how my heart felt with I was turned down for a date with this really cute chick in high school. :(

13. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Another reason MacGyver doesn't use a gun :Pop:
    only if enoughoxidizer is present. If not if might pop and snuff out even. Unlike the poor people he was no threat to those tanks

14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

This thread finally had me take some interest in the actual construction of these bulk fuel storage tanks. While I found little, via internet search, 0f the hard facts (available for a price) like wall thicknesses, pressure reliefs, etc., they are indeed double wall.
    The steel used is nowhere near as cheap as fence pipe, nor that which would be considered suitable for tube frame chassis, etc. This is serious high grade stuff and the external walls are "ballistic resistant". They also have their own fire suppression systems.

These things are built to standards that, I imagine, make them adequately safe (Joe Dipshit can't light one up with his M1) and very expensive.

15. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I have been gone on a 3 day MotoCampOut...
    the newer ones are constructed differently than the old single wall floating top ones..I have actually welded on some for Hill Petroleum in Panama City back in the 1980's before I moved to Atlanta..

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  16. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Well...'Now the Security Guard who got shot in the leg" is "missing"..

17. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Totally normal. :rolleyes:

18. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I just had read that he cancelled all his TV appearances at the last minute. Is that "Missing" or "Just doesn't feel like dealing with a media circus"?

19. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Or "Mandalay Bay is facing hundreds of lawsuits and their lawyers contacted the security guard and suggested he not speak publicly"

20. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

TV report Said " is missing"... "tv appearances missed or canceled"