1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Las Vegas shooting

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Metalhead, Oct 2, 2017.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Gotta have that good mix of fuel and oxygen to get the boom.

2. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Fire Tetrahedron.
    A cigarette isn't hot enough to vaporize stale gas.

3. CausticYarn

Well, now I am watching BLEVE videos on YouTube again. So thanks for that rabbit hole.

V5 Racer likes this.
  4. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

"Flammability" is a generic term with no explicit test. Combustibility, ignitability, and sustainability are all real metrics for fuels of different sorts.
    That definition belies your use. :Poke:

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

This thread just got all nerded up. :D

cajun636 likes this.
  6. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

FIFY

7. Br1anbuck

Br1anbuck Well-Known Member

Anyone else hear that the security guard that was shot on the second floor and credited with stopping the gunman, has now been arrested as the 2nd gunman? I saw it in a breaking news article on line, but you know how that goes. Haven't seen it yet on any news site I trust.

8. CausticYarn

Fake news.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  9. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

If you have looked at "normal" calibers being shot in to ballistics gel one could assume a far larger pocket of air closer to the edge of the tank. I am not saying that it would torch off, there are just alot of factors that people are not taking in to consideration like the fuel vapor in the air cavity beside a 5000F flaming projectile was between LEL and UEL, the size of air cavity, the effect the compressional shockwave would have on said fuel, the hydrostatic pressure created by the fuel column based on how low on the tank you shot. Lots of variables here. What we need is 5000 gallons of Jet B in a tank out in the desert, a 50 cal and some armor piecing incendiary rounds to put this to rest. :D

sheepofblue likes this.
  10. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Like but only for the last sentence :beer:

11. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Never mind... you can't start a fire without a spark... even if this guns for hire...

joec and Potts N Pans like this.
  12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I ain't dancin in the dark

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What if you're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks?

14. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

I totally saw what you did there...and my retinas are seared from viewing the recent eclipse.

15. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

My Hazmat instructor, an old Southern dude, said the definition of BLEVE was, "I BELIEVE that's about to go boom!" That was about 25 years ago South of Atlanta...

16. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Saw experiments on this. Shoot a hole in a gasoline tank and throw an ignition source at it and what comes out of the tank will burn or rather, the fumes coming off the flow of fuel will burn. However, once a great enough vacuum occurs, and it burbs back into the tank, whatever you do, get the hell away from it before it does. :eek:
    (49 million miles is about right.):D

17. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Come on now. "Belay that order" "belay that idea" all this equals "stop that idea" doesn't it or am I making a YUGE mistake?:)

18. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

So back on topic he did not have a 50 cal? Or did he? Also if you was taking multiple shots then the vacuum would be less as he would have essentially created a vent also. Not impossible but not like in the movies with MacGyver hits it and the car flips end over end and leaves a smoking pile :Pop:

19. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

No .50 cal
    Officials said he had .223/5.56 and .308... as well as handguns.

I said he came short gunned for shooting fuel tanks.

20. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Hotels disputing timelines, security guards running out on booked interviews. Yeah, nothing fishy going in here

GixxerBlade likes this.