1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lake Mead's secrets

Discussion in 'General' started by 50Joe, Jul 26, 2022.

1. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

learned something today. Thank you.

2. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I think he just let that slip and didn’t realize it :D

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

It's a woman thing with menopause. I start getting pretty cold once it is below 76.

Let what slip, I guess it went over my head?:whoosh:

4. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Hope you take the time to have fun with your financial goals.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  5. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Probably.. safe to say anybody found in a barrel probably had it coming...lol:eek:

Man O' Man..I was @ Mead once on a house boat vacation for a couple weeks in the 80s.
    The water level was at a all time high.
    Those days, you could take a boat really close to the dam itself and the massive intakes, it was amazing. I'll never forget it
    I know a man, whom works
    LAMWD and another.
    He told me, the Lake will NEVER be at capacity again..he says NEVER.
    He also thinks it's for all intents and purposes going to run basically dry. And Lake Powell as well.
    He thinks it's going to reshape the entire South West region of America...He also believes that all powers that be know this hence the push towards electrification...in the West Coast.
    Seems as if the day of hydro electric generating in America is coming to a rapid end?
    It's So darn sad. When that dam was built it was pretty much the greatest engineering feat on Earth, a grand example of America.
    Now even our largest dam pales in comparison to the scale of others built around the world.
    Are once world's tallest skyscrapers are less than half the size of the world's tallest in other countries.
    Our beautiful Golden gate bridge, same thing just a blip on the radar vs other countries Bridges.
    And don't get me started on Our 85 MPH " high speed" train...lol:mad:
    Truly pathetic.... France and Japan have had 250 mph trains for 40,+ years.

Our delapitated power grid, and crumbling infrastructure UGgggggg

I'm afraid our day in the sun, has come to a end..

Far faster than most anyone anticipated.

The ol saying.

"The candle that burns twice as bright, burns twice as fast" has become a sad but true analogy for us.

But I can say ..that dam and lake , was simply amazing to a young teenager in it's heyday.
    Hell when I was even younger I saw them assembling "London Bridge" at Lake Havasu to me at that age; that was like building the pyramids..:rolleyes:

MUFC1878 and Gino230 like this.
  6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You’re not getting it.

The cost is already absorbed. It’s installed. It exists.

Using the power generated during its ability to generate to store power for generation when it’s not able to generate is a practical use for the power it generates.

Electricity generation is capacity driven, which is why “instant-on” peak generating capacity is the lynchpin of a reliable grid. It’s why fossil fuel generation will never go away until there is a technology that can store instantly accessible energy to meet peak capacity.

My guesstimate on when that technology will exist? Never.

And frankly I’m A-OK with utilizing as many different sources of power generation that don’t involve burning up all our fossil fuels. Keep that shit around to heat our homes and power our soot-blowing bubba trucks, dammit!

cpettit and bpro like this.
  7. Boman Forklift

Were you a sales rep for a solar company, or did you invest via the stock market?

8. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

My neighbor is installing a Tesla roof and powerwalls. I looked into the system for my house- we get sun 24/7/365 here in South Florida- It's about the same as a new roof + Generator (common down here in hurricane country). Tesla claims I can run all day on solar and charge the power wall, then run all night on the batteries. Seems like a no brainer to me-

Of course I understand the mining of batteries, replacement of batteries, etc. but it would take pressure off the "system" i.e. grid, correct?

Tesla 2o year warranty on roof tiles and batteries, btw.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Aren't there really long delays on getting those things installed to the point that a lot of customers have become very angry?

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The Junction boxes, cables and tiny pieces parts that go into tying it all together.

11. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I don't know. There is a big lead time, I know that. Because right now, Tesla personnel do the install. I already have a roof on my house, so I'm not concerned. For me, it would be like ordering a Tesla (so I've heard). You give them like 50 bucks and 2 years later they say we have a roof for you next month. Give us $80K. :crackup:

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Our house is set to 67. Hell, my garage/shop is set to 70!

13. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

67?!!...

Shit, don't even need to put away the milk in the fridge at that setting....

14. Boman Forklift

Out here in the land of fruits and nuts our friends had 7 or 8 power walls installed in their house garage. From when we first talked about it, until installation, couldn’t have been more than 60 days.

15. Boman Forklift

Jesus Christ, don’t you know we have power problems. Lolol

So in other words, I really am an asshole. Heck, my bookkeeper that worked for me for at least 10 years, wouldn’t turn on the office AC until it was over 80 inside the office and she was a very large girl. But she lived in Huntington Beach and her 1.5-2 million dollar home didn’t have AC. Weirdly lots of places close to the beach don’t because of the moderate weather.

When I bought the business, the office didn’t have AC and you just toughed it out the months of August-October and we were inland in Downey Ca.

We aren’t generally dealing with the humidity issues the Midwest has either, and at night it almost always gets down to at least 60-65.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  16. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Yep, must be a direct quote from the Tesla sales dweeb.

17. YamahaRick

18. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

19. YamahaRick

20. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Geez man. With my spinal cord injury I have bad blood circulation in my legs. Anything below 76 and my legs get cold which triggers big time nerve pain. My A/C is usually set to 78. Higher than I would normally like but you get used to it and as long as the humidity is sucked out of the house it feels normal to me now. With only a 1650 sq. ft. home my summer electric bill is pretty cheap. I looked into solar but with my bills so low payback would have been about 40 years and that's using an elevated cost for electricity factored in.

bpro and Boman Forklift like this.