1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laguna seca NOISE

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, May 13, 2018.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Or have your pre printed lawsuit forms ready

2. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

You did see the part where I was running a stock can and rolling off through the sound testing area? I won't go back on a sound restricted day. Ruins the lap since you don't get to run through T5 and T6 at the same speed you would if you didn't need to roll out of the throttle on a stock bike to meet sound restrictions. There are other tracks nearby that I like better anyway.

And it is a race track, people should expect noise if they move next to a track. Have you ever been there, the homes aren't that close.:Poke:

3. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Make muffler for muffler :)

Attached Files:

Phl218 and badmoon692008 like this.
  4. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Get few metal cans like tomato sauce in right size and clamp it to exhaust tip. Punch bunch of holes all around, it should work. Replace when it blows apart.

5. breakneckPace

breakneckPace Well-Known Member

I got dingged for this when I did a track day there (many years ago). They flagged me and told me it was obvious I was backing off and not riding at my "race pace" from that point on I had to at least act like I was pushing through 5, up the hill. full tuck, serious face on, just not so hard on the throttle still. I think I should have received an Oscar for that performance. :D

Marid2apterbilt and Phl218 like this.
  6. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

So to change directions of this thread, will Ebikes be more popular at the sound limiting tracks and should the sport grow and have more events because more people can get their speed feed without being loud at those tracks?

Will communities embrace hundreds or thousands of people invading their space to go fast and not make noise many times a year? Yea, a bit of sarcasm in that one.

How will aftermarket concepts for Ebikes thrive.... suspension market should not be hurt, some of the others... or do we have an Ebike thread I should go resurrect?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Noise is a large part of why I see e-bikes growing not fading away. On and off road. I don't think it'll help racing as a whole any time in the near future but maybe some day that'll be the only choice.

8. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Red Barchetta is coming...

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Eventually but not for a long long time, too much money in internal combustion right now.

10. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Not sure how any of that is relevant... Were you over the limit? ok, then you were over the limit, doesn't matter if you were on a bicycle and let out a big fart, you were still over the limit... Not his fault he was doing his job and you had a problem with it.

Can't disagree with you there.

11. I think the whole rolling off thing can a) get dangerous if not done correctly. B) yes may get you through the sound check but if someone’s standing out somewhere else with a meter (super pissed off neigbgor playing navy seal in the bushes with a meter) you are just f ing everyone else over by giving the pissed off people more of a case that the tracks not following the rules.
    Figure out a way to quiet down your bike properly or stay home. You know the rules going into the event, prepare for it. That’s like having a sbk motor in an ss class arguing with mongo it’s ok because you were only using 80% throttle.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  12. New Toyota motor has 41% thermal efficiency, plus they have awesome hybrid tech. Internal combustion won’t go anytime soon but you wi see more hybrids.

13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

@Gino230 did you check into renting a local bike, since you are coming 2000 miles to ride a bike you won't be racing? I think it would be cheaper to fly and rent vs. hauling and a much more enjoyable experience.

Heck @TWF2 May have an SV he could rent you so you could start working on gearing and shift points.

We found, some of the track days will give you multiple free test laps, where you come in after a lap, find out if you passed, make a change and go again. These pops don't count against your 2 pops and you are out total.

motion likes this.
  14. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

People act like internal combustion engines are at the end of their development potential. It’s stupid. The ICE still has a long way to go given continued advancements in materials science, electronics, micro electromechanical systems etc. That’s not even considering what might be possible with hybrid systems.

I don’t think electrics will supplant ICE anytime soon absent non-market factors. It’s simple math. Gasoline is more energy dense by several orders of magnitude than even the most advanced batteries. The energy density of batteries has improved by something like a factor of 2 in the past 30 years. Transistor size has decreased by 3 orders of magnitude in the same period!

Absent a game changing improvement in technology for energy storage on the order of the invention of transistors, electric bullshit isn’t going to supplant the ICE.

Hybrid systems are definitely extremely interesting. I do think we’ll end up in the 1st World where hybrid systems are the norm and standalone ICE systems are rare. Except on stupid little scooters and cheap crap of course. Hybrids are the best of both worlds.

How long do you guys think Laguna Seca will last? Unfortunately I believe that track is totally doomed. I really can’t see it lasting another 10 years at the very outside. Best bet for Laguna would be for a rich benefactor to grease the right palms and get it on the register of historic sites. Which it is and is probably more deserving than a lot of stuff on the list.

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I dont think its going anywhere. Granted its a park first. Didnt they have some budget issues a few years ago?
    I got to think that the track brings in tens of millions of tourist dollars.

16. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

The city and the county would probably make more if they stuck mansions on it and sucked up the tax money. I hope it survives but from another thread it sounds like the raiding the capex fund for continuing operations death spiral has already started.

17. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Guess you missed the part where it wasn't his job and he was kicked off the hot track by the track day provider and told not to come back. Proper procedure was to come into the hot pit lane and check in with the guy in charge at start finish which I didn't so as he started bitching before I'd even shut my bike off. I didn't even know for sure it was for sound, though that was most likely. It was also my first time to get popped that day. Probably wasn't me as I was in a group at the time.

To me it ruins the flow if you have to roll off so that you don't break the sound limits and I'd rather not ride there because of it. I like Sears Point better anyway so no loss for me.

18. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

My Lightweight bike is an 848 chassis with a 1100 hypermotard engine. I run a stock 848 exhaust with slip ons, so I got a set of stock cans with the cats still in them and put them on today. Unfortunately I didn't get to do a sound test because hey, it's a fuking Ducati, nothing is ever easy. The fancy 24 volt starting system they installed uses two baby batteries, and the one that is attached to the stock harness dies in 3 weeks, apparently.

The track day org (Keigwins) gives you more chances if you have a stock exhaust. so I went that way, vs the DB killers. I'm a little worried about the intake noise, since I run pod filters with velocity stacks. And twins are known for their evil low frequency sound pulses.

@rob linders yes, I thought of all of the above. This whole deal came together last minute, and I said yes to it kind of quickly so now I'm committed. The plan is less than ideal but at least I will have some time at the track before the race weekend.

Ironically, the guys I was going to travel there with for the MA race are now wishy washy on going, because they are frustrated with the licensing and paperwork. So I'm spending the dough to go to a track day, on a bike I won't race there, for a race I probably won't get to attend. But hey, it's Laguna! The Corkscrew! Rainey curve! Woo Hoo!

Now I just have to look at my dyno chart and see what RPM the bike is making 75 HP at so I can shift there- to make it more SV like! +/- a few RPM to compensate for the choked down exhaust and sound meters, of course!

Boman Forklift likes this.
  19. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

a huge throttle spot would prob get u down to 75HP and keep u under the sound limit :p

usnavytrack7 and Gino230 like this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He was not doing his job. He was being a douche. The proof of that is the organizer being able to remove him from pit lane. If he was the tracks sound enforcer that could not have happened.

There is no excuse for being a total dick to someone right off the track on hot pit lane for just being a couple db over the limit.