1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lacrosse

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Dec 8, 2017.

1. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

i'd like to see girls play with a pocket but i guess thats just too much lol

if we can have women's mma we can have chicks in helmets.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Well, since mesh was allowed they have much more of a pocket. It's not as deep but it's better than it was.

High pocket and ultra fast release, I wouldn't stand in the cage against those girls anymore.

Helmets? They have them and they're mandatory at some ages in some areas but my kid refuses to wear one.

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Add me to the list. My 7 year old starts Sunday.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Little Dude or chick?

5. eggfooyoung

6. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Mike Mutzel bought the league I coached in. He's a good guy. He also has much higher expectations of what is needed to make it to the elite levels.

The clinics are worth it. And push for girls to play full contact. They do in Cannuckistan from what I've heard.

I want to get back into coaching but right now isn't the time for me.

7. eggfooyoung

Well, I don't want to get in to coaching. My boy starts t-ball soon too, and they're already asking for coaches. I know little to nothing about baseball, and even less about lacrosse.

8. Jed

Jed mellifluous

At that age it's all herding cats. Teach your son to scoop balls off the ground first. Catching and throwing at that age is a crap shoot except for the kids that are natural athletes who already love the sport. And for God's sake make sure whoever is coaching has every kid with a stick and a ball in a helmet at all times. Those balls can give a kid a concussion real fast and kids love to head to the goal to practice shooting before and after practice.

9. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

Did the level 1 clinic last weekend, it was really good and I definitely recommend it ESPECIALLY if you are teaching youth and newer players. I was worried about boys vs. girls but they combined both groups of people anyways so it didn't matter.

Had a couple U6 boys and U8 girls practices under my belt in the last 2 weeks, kids are having a good time and are tired after which is all we can ask.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, they really changed up the Level 1 this year. Much much better than in the past.

I was trying to weasel out of helping this year, I was going to just go sit in my car and relax.
    Didn't work. :D

11. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

Every bit this.

12. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

I seem to (mis?)remember that FL HS required girls to wear helmets a few years back, and the concussion rate actually increased. Guess it's kind of like paving gravel traps

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What happened? She digging it?

14. eggfooyoung

Haven't gone yet, and haven't had the first minute to start tossing. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

15. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

So after all the years as goalie,additional goalie camps training etc........my youngest decided she's done with goalie and went for middie this year. She's actually kicking ass against the regular field girls. Also,seriously glad to NOT be doing the travel team BS this year.She's having actual fun playing on a rec/club team again.

Jed likes this.
  16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Rec is supposed to be fun and my daughter's team really seems to be a fun group. Travel is, um, less fun.

The Rec girls, 70 ~ 80% of them are alphas. They don't let up on each other and play HARD. Even in ground ball drills. It's funny watching them and I can't help think if that is the way they play with friends I almost feel bad for people they aren't friends with. :D

Cool to hear she is doing middie. Goalies are worth their weight in gold but after a few years, they seem to turn weird. Not bad weird, just weird.

17. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

The head coach is the same coach from when she last played for this club 2 years ago,I was assistant coach then. He really wants her in as first goalie,but she already said basically its her way or no way............so she's backup goalie:D

Jed likes this.
  18. eggfooyoung

Well we went. She's digging it and seems excited. I actually went to high school with the coach. I hope he doesn't hold that against her...

BigBird and Jed like this.
  19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Egg, how is she liking it? 'bird, your kids still playing?

20. eggfooyoung

She likes it. We borrowed a stick from the kid next door for me to toss with her, and that's helped a good bit. Personally, I struggle with the relaxed atmosphere during practice. I feel like there should be a lot more yelling and direction towards developing a team of natural born killers, but...:D

So I just stand on the sidelines, arms crossed, lips sealed. But then I see the girls team on the next field, who are 2-3 years older, and they can't catch for shit. That relaxes me.

On a more serious note, she's learning. She applies herself and she shows improvement every time. But, most importantly, she's doing it with her friends, and having fun.