1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KZ650

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Muz720, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

So after racing at CMP I got the bug to race an older bike. I started riding on the street in 1979 on a Suzuki GS 750. So I am drawn to that side of Vintage racing. I have found a 1977 KZ 650c1 seems like a great find in nice shape with low mileage. Good chose for Ahrma middle weight? Would also like to know if there is any after mkt race parts for this bike r am I on my own?

2. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

I think parts should be available.

Bike would probably work real good in wera v5 too.I'm out of the loop but I don't think there are any real v5 bikes out there.

3. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

The KZ650 is the dominant bike in AHRMAs Vintage Middleweight Superbike class.

□ VINTAGE SUPERBIKE
    1. HEAVYWEIGHT: Unlimited displacement twins and pushrod triples, and displacementlimited fours and sixes built up through the 1982 model year. See Section 10.8.3.
    2. MIDDLEWEIGHT: Unlimited displacement singles, limited pushrod twins, OHC twins, pushrod triples and OHC fours built up through the 1982 model year. See Section 10.8.3.
    3. LIGHTWEIGHT: Singles, twins and multis using performance indexes for smaller bikes. See Section 10.8.3.

4. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

The idea you need to wrap your head around in the vintage racing to have the maximum amount of fun is to Figure out what the dominant legal bike is in each class and go out and clean house. Every class has the dominant bike. Like the 675R in SOT2. The fact they allowed that bike in that class still pisses me off.

5. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

AHRMA Middleweight Superbike. Rules specifically list KZ650. 1982 is cutoff year, or like design. Cutoff year for GPZ550 is 1981, I assume because it is limited to dual shocks (no monoshocks). I assume that is not an issue with the KZ650 - it was only a dual shock model? Displacement for inline 4's is limited to 685 cc. Read the rules regarding two piston brake calipers, etc. AHRMA also has some, umm, funky (to be kind) requirements regarding original headlight shell, speedometer housing, etc.

Here is a link to the 2017 AHRMA Rulebook:

http://www.ahrma.org/ahrma_pdfs/Z-2017/Forms/17_Handbook_web.pdf

Lest you be deceived, AHRMA publishes their rulebook annually. But, they usually don't include all the changes from the previous year. So, the published rulebook is a "suggestion" of what the rules might actually be. Given that regular phenomena, one would think AHRMA would have a person, or persons, who was actually aware of ALL the CURRENT rules, i.e., one someone could speak with and assure one's self that he/she was fully compliant with the latest. One who thought such would be WRONG.

This year they have actually designated a rules consultant or interpreter of sorts, one Art Deaton, who I happen to know quite well. I'll call Art the Rules Czar, altho' that is actually a misnomer. If you have questions, I'll put you in contact with Art, and you can have at it. I'll warn you however, he sometimes consults an attorney on particularly dicey issues, and there is usually tequila involved in such discussions. Caveat emptor is a good starting place for such outcomes.

Cheers,

Dave

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My kind of rules meeting. Especially combined with "if it ain't in writing it doesn't exist" :D

83BSA likes this.
  7. Harry V. III

Harry V. III Well-Known Member

To be forewarned is to be forearmed - the Barrister speaks the truth

I race in that class and will be glad to help. First thing is don't big bore and add lots of extra weight for ballast. :crackup:

8. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

Have plenty of Ballast at the moment so no worries their... Rules say no big bore kit.... hope this is not a trumpet class.... would like to make NJ race with it... if not Barber for sure..
    Making a belly pan might be my toughest job.. any help there would be nice.. thanks

9. Harry V. III

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com
    RaceAct20160709_01035-X3.jpg

CoreyDSFA likes this.
  10. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

You see, Harry is a bona fide fast guy. Just look at the picture - - - he even looks fast. Rumors in the pits are that he has used such things as tire warmers . . . . So, keep a close scrutineering eye on him. I'm building a Cagiva twin for the class, as well as WERA Vintage V4. Unfortunately, it is turning out to be an eternal project. Right now it still needs to be wired. And, as a mechanical guy living in an electronic world, properly connecting electrical bits and pieces so that smoke does not immediately appear when the ignition is turned on is, umm, a continuing challenge for me. Hence, the eternal project. Maybe its that whole positive ground mentality from my British bike background that has me bumfuzzled . . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

yamageezer likes this.
  11. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

The foregoing photo demonstrates that Harry is a bona fide fast guy. Just look at that exhaust collector. The uninformed might think, hmm, looks like old junk. But, those in the know realize that the flattened, dented collector is, in fact, a go fast modification, carefully configured to optimize ground clearance while also aiding exhaust gas scavenging in an optimal fashion. I am CONFIDENT Harry fine tuned that particular modification to that EXACT configuration, and the fact that he is willing to expose that particular skunk works mod to the racing world via that photo is testimony to his confidence to win any challenge or race throw-down which might be suggested.

Ain't that right Harry?

Cheers,

Dave

12. bogganman

bogganman Well-Known Member

Kz650s can be made into absolute bullets. Get ahold of Courtney Alliert from Ahrma.

Harry V. III likes this.
  13. Harry V. III

Come on Dave, I just wanted to show the belly pan. Next thing you know, you will be questioning the fact that that the engine is stock. You got that old Harris bike ready for me to ride ? When you bring out the new Tigcraft. Don't make roll out my old Scorpion. It IS stock.

14. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

Since I am officially going to be racing this bike. I need race parts.. Like rear shocks! Anyone have a set for sale?
    Also who makes race rubber for this bike 19 inch fronts seem hard to come by?
    Thanks
    Jim

15. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Go to 18" front. It'll turn quicker and you can get race rubber. The Avon 19" is, umm, less than optimal . . . don't ask how I know . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

16. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

I was looking at that, going to an 18 inch that is.. Any help with what will work without to much trouble would be appreciated...
    KZ1000 maybe?

17. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

First race was on a 1977 KZ 650 it was either in 77 or 78. 4 hour endurance race with FGPRA at Moroso (it was PBIR back then). It has the same bore center as a Z1, we used the carbs from my brothers Z1 and re-degreed the bump sticks. It was an experience when I was passed by the leading Guzzies in the turn at the end of the back straight... that is another story in its self. Great bike, fun to ride, good looking and it was bullet proof.

18. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

You raced a 4 stroke motorcycle??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Dave

19. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Yes !!!!! and I enjoyed it... so I once raced for the dark side, or if you choose before I went to the dark side ;)

If I had the time and $ I would LOVE to build a 1977/78 Yamaha XS500 (de-stroked) and run it in AHRMA light weight superbike.