1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kz 650 value

Discussion in 'General' started by sportracer07, Dec 17, 2018.

1. sportracer07

sportracer07 Well-Known Member

I found a 79 Kawasaki kz 650 nearby that I am thinking about getting to fix up. Currently it's missing the seat, but does run and has a clear title. Of course it needs a chain, levers ,cables etc, but the guy is only asking $300. Do you guys think its worth that. I realize its not a rare valuable bike, I just enjoy the older bikes. Will I be throwing money away , or could I possibly get my money back out of it if I get tired of it?

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Offer $100.

chris weidl likes this.
  3. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

No. You’ll spend $500-600 on carb clean, plugs, caps, etc.

Then another 500-600 on tires, brakes, flush, fluids, fork seals etc...

Let that bike die a happy death.

zrx12man likes this.
  4. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Robby -Bobby couldn't be more wrong in his conclusion, but accurate in his dollar figures. It will cost at least $1000 to get that bike right, but for less than $1500, you will have a fun bike that will be great on the street and not like any cookie cutter entry level 400 that will cost 3 times as much, minimum.

Do google for Jim Knipp KZ650

How many of you guys remember Jim and that KZ?

5. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Sorry bud. Didn’t want to hurt your feelings.

You’re absolutely right, what I might not appreciate, you may absolutely love.

It would be even cheaper if you can work on things yourself.

6. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

I can't agree more, having been patron saint of too many moto-lost causes. I'm quickly learning the same exact lesson with wooden boats. Let it die.

Phl218 likes this.
  7. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I forgot, cause I like working on that kind of stuff. It is nostalgic for me since that was a current model when I started racing. It was cool when the KZ650 came out. If you are going to have to pay anybody to do anything on that old POS, let it die. If you are going to work on it yourself then have fun and spend the $$$.

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  8. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Where do you live?
    I have a '81 CSR650 (KZ650H) project bike I'm looking to get rid of. Carbs are gummed to shit.

9. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Define "does run."

10. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Making something new out of something old is fun and satisfying. And fucking expensive.

Phl218 likes this.
  11. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/586883701752240/

Been a REALLY clean one for sale right down the road for a month or so... Why invest tons ina POS when you can buy nice and spend less and enjoy more.

I agree with Robby Bobby, if it needs a whole lot of work it needs to be a parts bike...

Of course, I have two Bighorns, a KE175, a GS750, and a CB1100f sitting downstairs that are all there for the most part awaiting resurection and keeping a couple others company...

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

First motorcycle I ever rode was a KZ650, buddy still owns it. I'd do it in a heartbeat for 300 but 100 would be even better :D

svracer22, JBall and dtalbott like this.
  13. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

I really appreciate you taking the mantle off my shoulders. One man can only do, and spend so much. On junk...:D

14. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

I have one, bought it to vintage race. Spent more then I should have but it's what I wanted. Reminds me of why and when I started riding. Never going to get what I have in it back. But dont care. Of course you want to spend as little as possible. Great bike just wish mine was a little less finicky..

15. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

You would think, right?

16. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

A kz650 can be a fun money pit...:D

Attached Files:

• kz.JPG
      kz.JPG
      File size:
      112.9 KB
      Views:
    Muz720 and Banditracer like this.
  17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

A more modern version... the ZR7 from 2000-2003 is a similar engined ride could be had for a grand and a half or two tops.
    but modern upgrades from the 70s. Kawi beefed up the oil pump on the ZR7...which is a
    direct replacement for the older 650s and 738s. Then you can "fuel injected turbo" with the mid 80s gpz induction.

18. sportracer07

sportracer07 Well-Known Member

Cra Fizzer, I live in Princeton WV. Dtalbott, it will start and run, but you have to jump the solenoid over, wiring problem somewhere I assume. It doesn't idle worth shit but the engine sounds good. I cant take it for a spin because it doesn't have a clutch lever, and the front brake doesn't work. I can do the work myself since I am an auto tech and have a side business fixing atv's. I'm not a whiz with points systems since thats not exactly common anymore lol. But I am have done my share of carb cleanings. So I'm hoping with a little money here and there and maybe you guys helping me with some technical questions lol ill be able to get it running good. I'm not really wanting to completely restore it, mainly get it running good and beat around old backroads on it.

19. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Man, that sounds like the kind of thing I've been looking for, as a project for me and my son. Back to basics with just the engine and simple electronics. Then, give it to my daughter so she can join us on the road. I've got a Diavel, but I can't even fathom working on the thing. My first "real" bike was a 75 Z1 900. I had that thing in pieces many times, so I feel like I'd be right at home with a 70s or early 80s Kawi.