1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KTM SMR Forks - info?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Kurlon, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Is there a doc/guide/faq/sumarian tablet somewhere that has info about the various forks KTM has put on their SMRs over the years, changes, and how to identify them?

Specifically I'm looking at a bike that has an 09 SMR front end, black fork legs but it's got an FTE caliper instead of a Magura. I don't know what if any difference there would be from an 09 fork vs 06 and earlier like the FTE caliper would imply. I also know where there is a 2012 SMR front end but again other than color no idea functionally how they differ.

2. They are all over the map.

3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Awesome, so... they could be crap, they could be good, and no way to tell till I rip'em down?

4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

5. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Pics? Forks from 03 to current will all swap. I have 2005 SMR forks on my 2017 racebike. Triples brakes and forks swapped right over. Post a pic of the bike. I wouldn't worry about the brakes being different.

6. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Yeah, the caliper itself didn't worry me, was just using it as a means to try and identify what year SMR forks were in play which would then tell me what internals were in use. My goal was to find out if they were good, no good, run away or why didn't you buy them already secret sauce but ended up passing on the bike due to a lack of info to go on.

G2G likes this.