1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KTM Duke giving me the slip

Discussion in 'General' started by yokohama1, May 24, 2017.

1. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Hey All. I'm trying to get to the bottom of a clutch issue I'm having with my Duke race bike. The bike was purchased as an already built race bike with mostly bolt on KTM Powerparts. The only motor work done was a different cam installed. The second day I had it out the clutch was slipping badly in all gears under hard acceleration. I figured the clutch was done so I ordered another OEM clutch pack. The old friction discs where within spec for thickness but I still installed the new one. Made it half way through another day at VIR and it started to slip again in the top two gears. Couple of questions. 1. The clutch is an Adige and very similar to my 2000 Aprilia clutch which you had to turn the last friction disc one notch in the basket when installing or it would slip. Shop manual does not refer to this for the Duke but was wondering if it was the case. 2. I know that full synth oils can make clutches slip. I was considering going to a semi synth but have reconsidered since it appears KTM is very clear about using Motorex 10w/60. 3. Thinking that stiffer springs might help. EBC is the only aftermarket clutch I have been able to find.

Guessing this should really be in the tech section but figured general would have the farthest reach. Not a ton of people racing these bikes so it's been kind of hard to get useful info. I don't have anyone locally, that I know at least, who is very familiar with the bikes. I'm in Raleigh, NC. Any help would be really appreciated.

2. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

Call Chad Wells at Commonwealth Motor sports in Louisville KY, he knows ktm's really well.

3. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

Check to see if the basket has grooves worn into the fingers. That would prevent the plates from making solid contact with each other.

4. Frictions glazed over? Notches in basket. Free play on lever when hot. Springs. Did you measure overall stack height?

5. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

6. Jed

Jed mellifluous

On my KTM dirty bike the clutch bleeds from the bottom up. Not sure if the same holds true on the duke.

7. yokohama1

I looked closely at the basket and didn't see any unusual wear.

8. yokohama1

The bike has the easiest clutch pull I've ever seen. Measured the thickness of individuals not the whole stack. I put a OEM pack in and ended up with the same condition just not as bad as the stack I took out. Free play seems to be there. Never had a bike with a Magura master so am trying to learn them. No bleeder at the master so bled from the slave. Don't think there is any air in the line.

9. yokohama1

Just curious if you have installed the clutch whether the last friction you put in is turned one notch in the basket. My Ape with a Adige you had to do that. Don't see anything about this bike that says that is the case but the Ape would slip if you put them all in the same notch in the basket. Don't ask how I know this.

10. yokohama1

Thanks guys. I really like this bike on the track but just haven't beeen able to cure this problem yet.

11. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Full synthetic oil won't make a clutch slip unless you are running non-mc specific oil.

yokohama1 likes this.
  12. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Not on mine? They did say if you have problems with slipping you can shim the springs with a 1mm or 1.5mm shim to lessen the slip.

13. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

If you determine it's not an assembly problem you can shim 2 opposing springs and source a set of heavier springs with same length as your stockers from BARNETT and install them adjacent to the shimmed stockers. BARNETT can advise on the amount of increase from your stockers.
    All this will work if you have a 4 spring clutch pack. Use the same principle with more than 4 springs, i.e., if you have 5, alternate every other spring. Same with 6.
    Your lever pressure will increase.

Attached Files:

14. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

See art....

Attached Files:

15. yokohama1

So, I'm assuming you wouldn't want to do all 4 springs as you will probably get drag? Will Barnett be able to help me out with this? They don't make a specific clutch pack for the Duke and when I had ordered springs from them that they said were for the bike, they were considerably longer than the stockers. I assume they would have some springs that would work if I give them info on the stock ones. I wish they made a replacement clutch as I really like the one from them I have in the Ape. Last question, where do I get the shims? Are they basically washers used to preload the springs. I'm trying to remember for sure but I don't think there are any washers installed currently below the springs.

Thanks.

16. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Those blue and red " tornado" springs look very much like red and blue power bands . That maybe the problem . Alternating the color in pairs will most likely help ! :D:oops:

pickled egg likes this.
  17. yokohama1

This bike has so many power bands but it always seems to be hitting the red limiter. Hence my dilemma with the clutch. Thanks for the suggestion though. :beer:

18. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Just use washers. McMaster Carr is a good source. FYI my spacers are 13mm id x 18mm od and 1 or 1.5mm thick. they appear to be aluminum.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-washers/=17s0qrx

Quick question, are you sure the bike has a stock clutch? I could be wrong but I thought that Adige was usually an aftermarket clutch. I know my adige clutch takes proprietary clutch plates. You cannot use the stock plates. does your clutch look like this?
    [​IMG]

If so here is a video that shows how to assemble the clutch
    http://www.adige.eu/public/ENG/multimedia/APTC-video.asp

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  19. yokohama1

My bad. Their font is so similar. Yes it is the Adler clutch. Did the one in the pic have a broken spring?

20. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 25, 2017