1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KTM 790s to be build in China

Discussion in 'General' started by stk0308, Jan 31, 2019.

1. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

2. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

Considering how well that went when they gave the manufacture process to Bajaj for the 390 series, I'll pass.

3. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If KTM controls the factory and the QC, who cares? If the components are the same as if they built it in Austria (or where ever) , same is the same.
    They are passing along the cost savings and all that shit.

lonewrench likes this.
  5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Yamaha built in China- I'd be worried about lower quality
    KTM built in China- I would be the same amount of worried about quality.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If this was the Dungeon then I'd say RACIST!!!!

But it's not so I won't. :D

7. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

The problem is that when I got my 390, you can tell it's poor quality metals and plastics. Bolts would strip and snap and the plastic would break very easily. It was no where near the same as the Austrian KTMs. Not to mention the motor explosion problem. I took a huge hit with that one, nobody wants those bikes.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

That all sounds like it falls squarely on KTM not so much where it was made.

If they left it up to their chinese partners (if they are not in control of the assembly plant) and allowed them to source their own parts and subs, KTM f@cked up. If KTM selected the cheaper parts themselves to save a buck, it's on KTM.

I deal in China a lot and if you don't stay 100% involved with everything, things will go sideways. If you let them source the raws and sub assemblies themselves, it will eventually blow up in your face.

I'd love to check out a 390 up close, would be a real interesting adventure.

lonewrench likes this.
  9. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I want to like the KTM, but for that kind of money I'm getting the Guzzi. Some people think it was hit with an ugly stick but I like it. And it will probably be as reliable as an anvil.

[​IMG]

ducnut, CowboyRR and baconologist like this.
  10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I was looking at the MG website yesterday along with Harley and triump for an old fart bike idea.

They all had bikes that were about 40% where I'd want my bike to be.

11. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

An anvil that shakes parts loose, and eats electrical components? But, sure. Yah. Reliable.

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

RC390 is built in India yo

13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

No way in HELL I would ride that think more than 50 miles from a Guzzi dealer!!!

14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I thought Guzzi's are dependable bikes! They used to be. What happened?

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I was thinking that but it was sounding like China. Didn't know.

India has it's own issues. The people work hard and are usually very smart. Problem is that sometimes they think they are smarter than what they are told to do and how to do it and take it upon themselves to "help."

Still, be fun to check one out and take apart. Someone else would have to put it back together though. :D

16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Well, I have one and yeah its pretty weird. Austrian engineering, I guess.

17. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Guzzi= Italian Harley
    KTM= dirt Harley :D

rd400racer likes this.
  18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Even the Germans make fun of the Austrians. :crackup:

motion likes this.
  19. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Chinese welds that I'm trusting my life on? Nope. all that just to use semi-slave labor? Nope again.

20. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Even the KTMs built in Europe have shit reliability, as per my friend who is a tech advisor at the largest KTM dealership around here. Just sayin'.