1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Key West advice

Discussion in 'General' started by acorn27, Jan 14, 2019.

1. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Last time we were there we had reservations for a trip out to the Tortugas but it got canceled by weather. Someone mentioned Bahia Honda and I agree. We did some snorkeling there. A bit touristy, but I enjoyed the treasure hunting museum. El Siboney Restaurant was an awesome Cuban restaurant. The place we stayed had free beach bikes and we rode those around one afternoon. The drive out from Miami is not a short one.

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

If you want real adventure, jump off the top span of the Bahia Honda bridge. Distance is approx. 60'+ and you can access it from the island and then squeeze through a shitty gate (if it's still there). Doesn't hurt much when you land (unless you dive, then it hurts a tad). Copious amounts of Budweiser before is advised, but not crucial. Be mindful of "Old Pete"...a lengthy hammerhead that's reputed to cruise through the exact span you jump from.

Have fun!

[​IMG]

K51000 likes this.
  3. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Yikes! :eek:

I was going to suggest dinner at Sunset Key.

4. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Whoa no way! We did some cliff jumping in Jamaica and that didn't go well for my wife. She blew an ear drum. I just got a massive wedgie!!

rd400racer likes this.
  5. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Did that in the late seventies.. was a Swimmer in HS and College and have gone off 10 meter platforms . But that Bridge scared the crap out of me . I had to watch 8-10 year old local kids doing it for about 1/2 hour before I got nerve to try ... after the first time , you could not keep me off . Went everyday for two weeks ..

K51000 likes this.
  6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Excellent! We'd get drunk up top and jump all day long too. God it was great to be 20 living in the Keys:D

cha0s#242 and motoracer1100 like this.
  7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Shit...go to Sloppy Joe's and the Hog's Breath Saloon.
    That'll get you started and the info will flow from there.
    Mallory's Wharf at sunset for sure. Loony locals abounding.

8. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

I do have one recommendation. Find Rob Benton. He performs at a few bars a night. Just go watch him perform. Awesome artist.

9. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Funny, I just caught an episode of triple D, he was in Key West and highly recommended a place called DJ's Clam Shack......looked tasty so I'll recommend giving that a try. Looks like it's only 2 blocks away from Ernest Hemingway's home/museum if yall decide to do that too.

My wife and I went there many moons ago before children, I remember being unimpressed with what little beaches they had and they're SMALL.....like 30 big steps and you're in the water...lol. I think some of the larger hotels had the nicest beaches.

10. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Go to Roostica and enjoy some amazing wood fire pizza, and then bring me some back.

11. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Man, lots of good food suggestions. That's what I was hoping for. Dry Tortuga sounds really nice. It appears you need to take a ferry or plane there huh? Looks like around $180 per person for a day trip?

12. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

The Historic Seaport area is cool for food, booze (many patio bars), people watching, and watching big boats cruise by. The Key West aquarium is pretty cool and is close to the seaport.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Also, I'd recommend renting a scooter (Pirate scooter rentals; they have two strokes) and go explore the town.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    notbostrom likes this.
  13. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Best dinner on the island is a secret feel free to pm me

14. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

Wife and I have been going every 2 years for a while. Heading down again in June.

Strongly recommend Ft Taylor beach tomswim and watch the sunset, Blue Heaven, Garbo’s, Glazed donut shop, Bien Caribbean Latino, Old Town Bakery which is next to Bien.

We took the boat to The Dry Tortuga's years ago and it was a long ass trip but a must just for the historical value if you’re into that.

We’ve done the Mallory Square sunset a couple of times but it gets to busy there. Usually some type of show/act going on just before the sunset. Good if you like to people watch.

acorn27 and cpettit like this.
  15. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

And if you want a little bit of a historical bike tour of KW then hit up Lloyd’s bike tour. He’s been compared to Kramer’s bus tour from Seinfeld, funny guy.

acorn27 likes this.
  16. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

Dirty Harry's across the street from Sloppy Joe. Second level. The Green Parrot.. no scratch that one.

acorn27 likes this.
  17. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

At about 5:00 work yourself south a tad from the square and check out the Catman and his Flying Housecats. There's more to the show than just the strays that he has trained, the guy is crazy and has a whole routine delivered in a grating French accent.

[​IMG]

acorn27 likes this.
  18. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Check out DJ’s Clam Shack, the Green Parrot bar, Fritas Cuban spot for late night snacks, Ft Taylor Beach, El Siboney, rent a scooter and check out everything you can

acorn27 likes this.
  19. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

I will offer a couple of suggestions of must do's in S. Fla.

Being born and raised in Miami my suggestions may or maynot work for you. \

Guessing your driving down, South beach would be
    http://vizcaya.org/

Further south would be https://coralcastle.com/

If you like fresh seafood this place went from a pier and shack falling into the ocean to much more respectable place and the food stayed great is Alabama Jacks
    They don't advertise much, no web site, small facebook
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/alabama-jacks-key-largo

If you have time to detox stop at https://www.yelp.com/biz/tiki-bar-islamorada

Have a couple Rum Runners sitting in the sun and see if your knees work when you get up.

Fish you must try fresh, Grouper, Dolphin and Swordfish.

(for those freaking, all are fish not mammals) AKA Mahi Mahi

Getting up for a sunrise east side and being on the beach at sunset west side are worth the time.
    Ask the locals for the dive's. They do change and offer the best bang and service for the buck.
    Mel's museum is interesting.

acorn27 likes this.
  20. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

In the upper keys now, visiting a friend, fished the back country to day, beautiful weather, got a bunch of stone crabs and pigged out, nice people everywhere, just enjoy it, Key West is fun to visit for a day or 2 but prefer a bit north, its the keys enjoy it, some guys made great suggestions above

acorn27 likes this.