1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keto Diet

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Nov 1, 2017.

1. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I don't even really remember the Uber home. Honestly thought someone was driving my car and was pissed when I woke up and realized I still had to go get it.

BigBird likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My issue is more the knowing I'm not even going to consider driving (get dropped off then Uber home) leads me to bad decisions :D

BigBird and shakazulu12 like this.
  3. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Keto doesn't only help to shed poundage - it helps you keep your insides clean as well. Something they are finding more and more in the fire service is fat around our organs and high cholesterol - having fat around your organs and high cholesterol can lead to a bad time...so they have us doing screenings and diet changes to correct these issues. Guess what that diet change is? Keto. The doctors actually are putting firefighters on keto diets to help us not die - it's expensive when public servants die.

Went to my doc this morning for my annual physical. She's a bit exuberant, but the dialogue had me laughing.
    Stats:
    35 years old
    5'8"tall
    130 lbs
    bp 110/60
    "Perfect vision of health! Except you need to wear sunscreen! and take care of your brain!"
    "Your cholesterol panel last year was absolutely beautiful, are you still on the same diet? You must not eat very many carbs. I am not even going to check your panel this year, we will do it next year, BEAUTIFUL PANEL! Now take your shirt off."

Meat, veggies, fat - And the occasional binge.
    Yeah, it's sad that cake and tacos aren't on the menu most days - but you can't deny the data that's starting to come back against excessive carbohydrate intake. The food pyramid is bullshit :)

BigBird likes this.
  4. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I have tried to do the Keto thing, but I travel so much it is really hard to keep up.

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:stupid:

6. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

have you guys struggled with hydration and related things on Keto?

i generally find it tough to drink enough water, but keto def exacerbates that for me

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

yep. pretty much always thirsty. I drink at least 60+ oz. of just water and still need more.

8. shakazulu12

This is where Keto gets complex. You need to drink a shitload of water. On top of that, you may need to does some sodium in there as well. Keto flushes you out big time. I struggled with cramps and eventually settled on doing a salt water shot with lite salt which fixed some deficiencies that I was having. Not that uncommon at all actually if you follow any of the keto discussion groups.

9. CausticYarn

You flush all of your electrolytes. Read up on some salt supplements and take them in small doses throughout the day. If you take them all at once - you still end up just flushing. You need waaaaaay more electrolytes than any one on SAD.

10. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

I was able to stay in ketosis while eating nothing but fast food for a couple of weeks while on the diet and travelling. It wasn't that hard but you had to get creative to keep it interesting.

418, shakazulu12 and BigBird like this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird blah

so being mostly keto compliant, and I know most of you don't even ride a motorbike, but what can I have while at the track to eat and drink and maintain hydration? i used to use coconut water, and I know water alone doesn't cut it

12. shakazulu12

Hell, you can walk into Carls Jr. and they will just wrap the burgers with lettuce. Skip a few toppings and you are there.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I found fast food to be pretty easy when on the road, I never order anything I can't eat while driving so it was usually plain chicken sammiches and just skip the bun.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Water/gatorade/pedialyte. Same as if you're eating regular food but I'd do more of the gatorade and pedialyte.

15. CausticYarn

Make your own electrolyte solution in a one gallon jug - Lots of keto compliant recipes that are out there. Everything tastes like salt, and that's okay, you get used to it. I usually end up taking the Calm supplement mixed with other salts throughout the day.

Easy on the magnesium at first though - you will be in the biff instead of on the bike. It is not funny when you have to pit out to sh*! yourself...
    wait...it's funny for those watching... :p

BigBird likes this.
  16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

No it's not. Throw away the bun. Don't order fries. Don't drink soda. Carry a fork and knife.

BigBird and Riders Discount like this.
  17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

IMG_0655.PNG

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Well, some of the best research related to it was done for the benefit of the Navy Seals.

19. CausticYarn

Applause!
    But seriously. Magnesium citrate is what they make you take to clean the shoot for an inspection. So go easy on it when you first start taking it and eat more spinach.

20. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Does that line always work with you?

rocalotopus likes this.