1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keihin/Mikuni relative jet sizes??

Discussion in 'Tech' started by RichDesmond, Mar 31, 2003.

1. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

Anybody know what the conversion is between the main jet sizes, i.e. if I had a Keihin 150 in a carb, what would be the equivalent Mikuni size??
    (And yes, there's a long ugly story, and no, I'm not the bonehead in question.:))

2. Caferace 6

Caferace 6 -------------------------

I'm not sure,but I think they are the same.
    Jets are numbered by the I.D.
    You can check with Sudco International Corp.,They handle both carbs.
    Good luck!

3. RichDesmond

Yeah, I looked at the Sudco site, didn't find it there. Figured the brain trust here would know.:)

4. Dave164

Dave164 Well-Known Member

On the Mikuni take the number of the jet and divide by two, that is the size in mm. i.e. a 320 main has a bore of 1.60mm . On Keihin the size is the bore in mm i.e. a 150 main jet has a bore of 1.50mm.
    Hope this helps Dave.

5. RichDesmond

Wow, that's huge. So a Keihin 150 would have 4 times the area as a 150 mikuni??? Hmmmm.

6. Dave164

That is probably why Keihin jets go up to a #230 and Mikuni's go to #720.

7. Caferace 6

The jet number represents the cubic centimeters of fuel a minute that will pass through the jet at a low pressure-a head of 1ft.(30cm).A 150 jet will pass 150cc/min. at wide open throttle.
    So the higher the number the more fuel it will pass at wide open throttle.

8. Dave164

If that is correct how come the Mikuni #300 Large style is the same size as the Keihin #150 on the bore or do they use a differant standard. I have looked in the manual and it appears the number for the mikuni carbs depends on the main jet syle. I run tm32 with the large hex body and the jets are #300 at 1.5mm. On my other machine I use Keihin CR26's with a #130 which measures 1.3mm. Perhaps there is no straight cross referance and it is just a coincidence that the jets I use match these sizes.

9. Caferace 6

Well mybe there isn't a standard between manufactures.
    The formula that I posted is true for Amal carburetors.
    Mybe someone else can set us straight.:(