1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keigwins Trackdays Shutting Down

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarson15, Aug 31, 2018.

1. joec

joec brace yourself

There's a reason the riders meeting is "mandatory".. it's because they cover important stuff.

That sucks

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I should have typed this in my previous reply.

im not inclined to believe that the sandbags were talked about at the riders meeting. this lawsuit was discussed heavily on BARF by locals, people that are close to Keigwins, and likely a few ppl that attended that trackday. no one ever brought up that the sandbags were discussed at the the meeting. I could have missed it, but I seriously doubt it since thats a HUGE point that would have been repeated over and over.

so, im taking that idea with a grain of salt and im not really letting it affect my opinion of the whole situation.

3. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Going off all hearsay, I could easily be mistaken. I know my local orgs won't let someone who misses the meeting on the track at all.

I suppose we aren't ever going to know. I suspect there were some things that we aren't privy to that affected the course of the lawsuit though. Just seems odd the track got let off the hook and not the trackday org, who didn't put the bags their to begin with. I suspect another argument or angle was used than we are all considering. The whole plea for public assistance for the defense fund never did sit well with me, but again, I don't know the actual details of what lead to that.

End of the day, hopefully lessons were learned all around and this just ends up a blip on the horizon that never really amounts to anything.

4. joec

joec brace yourself

I have no clue how you could police the riders meeting attendence.

At mosport last year people were having their medical cards come flying out of thier little envelope on there helmets. At the end of the riders meeting they had about a half dozen that were picked up off of the track by corner workers. They announced the names on each one to make the point to make sure the envelope is closed properly. A few riders who's names were called, who didn't go claim then were chatted with when they were returned in the paddock. What was great was hearing people claim faster riders took them out as they went by. Look.

I hope this entire thing it's deemed frivolous.

One thing to learn is to show up at the damned riders meeting.

5. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Hand out a bright sticker that goes on the number plate of the bike at the meeting. Stop anyone who tries to go out first session that doesn't have one. Not fullproof, but it's an idea. Same thing with our gear tech stickers etc.

5axis and Phl218 like this.
  6. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Simple, take attendance. Had that happen at an auto race. Event before people were whining about "not being told of a change in schedule" which was brought up in the drivers meeting. Next event, roll call which took a half hour. Not there, no go on track until you explain to the race director why you weren't at the mandatory drivers meeting. Needless to say, the next events the drivers meeting participants doubled.

No reason NOT to go to the meeting unless you are having medical issues and are either doubled over in the can or in the med shed.

7. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

I have taken attendance at some of our rider's meetings before - not all the time - but I spot check. It's a bit easier at say, Tally, where there's only 75 riders each day, vs. Barber or Road Atlanta where there's a lot more. It takes time, and the last thing I want to do is take more time at a rider's meeting. A trackday rider's meeting is long enough, don't want to make it longer.

We had a couple people at Barber this morning roll up to the rider's meeting about 5min before I was done and it pissed me off pretty bad. I told them they couldn't ride. The one guy called me an ass*ole as he was walking away. Great way to start the morning.

Rider's meeting attendance is hard to monitor.... but we try.

On a positive note, we graduated a couple more future racers from our race license school - so I was happy about that.

t

Gorilla George, TLR67, DaveB and 5 others like this.
  8. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Just call 3 or 4 random names.. if they ain't there, $50 fine. I think that should be done at every riders meeting. but that's just my 2c

9. joec

joec brace yourself

Broome would just buy a years worth. Lol

10. mastermind

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That's what Chris started doing with RACE in Shannonville when he knew guys were skipping it. Random roll call, it worked.

12. mastermind

I like it. I think I’m going to start doing that.

Thank you for the idea - kick ass!!!!

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I always attend in case there is drama.:D One of my favorites was seeing Colin Fraser yelling out "where the fuck is Crevier" in a riders meeting and having Steve show up a few minutes later looking really rough with a pillow seam mark still imprinted on his face. It didnt seem to affect his speed though...

TSC_113 and Banditracer like this.
  14. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

AHRMA takes attendance. Seriously.

15. mastermind

Yup - know they do and that’s what originally gave the idea.......

16. joec

joec brace yourself

Maybe that's where I remember it.

17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Take a staff member and take a scooter around the pits and get bike descriptions and have them ask.... WTF are you doing here?

18. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

You sure you aren't thinking of the 24 hour French race...Lamaze?? :D

19. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

It's almost mandatory to maintain speed or short shift out of that corner into that section of the track due to the sound booth. There with a 90db limit at Laguna Seca. Lawsuit doesn't make sense regardless.

20. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Whut? Helmet envelopes?