1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kayo or a Grom?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by baconologist, Jul 14, 2015.

1. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Like them both.
    Grom doesn't have SB rules so "tinkering" is out.
    Kayo falls under SB or Formula rules so "tinkering" is in!

both look fun as hell and are probably faster than the XR.

so WWTBeeBD?

2. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Not much hop up parts for kayo when it comes to engines.

3. baconologist

sure abt that?
    isn't it all TTR 125

4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Ive been pondering a Kayo myself. We were eyeing up YSR's,but they are getting older and older,and I want something newer for she and I to play on.

5. backcountryme

From what I understand (admittedly I have not worked on one) they are designed after the TTR, but TTR parts are not a direct fit. I could be wrong though. They are pretty quick right out of the box though.

6. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Kayo is for pancakes

7. baconologist

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I think it really takes the right layout to make a Grom faster than an XR. The 4-speed transmission and additional weight really hinder it. If the Kayo is a 5 speed, I would have to believe it out-paced both Hondas.

9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

As a TT-R 125 owner racing XR100s... I'm not convinced the Kayo would be noticably faster out of the crate if it's sporting a full clone of the TT-R's setup. If it's got a decent carb, intake and exhaust sure. If not... gawd these things are slow! :D

10. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I haven't ridden a TTR, but I was under the impression that the primary weakness was weight. I guess I am assuming that the Kayo frame weighs a lot less and solves that issue.

11. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Nah, this was a cheater big bore XR and he still lost. :D

James Walker is a Cheater!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  12. nitto182

nitto182 Well-Known Member

-If this was Facebook Blair from SV Parts would be pumping the shit out of the Kayo right now.

For Reference: The Kayo frame is based off an NSF frame, made to fit a 125 TTR clone. The main difference being steel instead of aluminum for most of the frame, so the 125 is supposedly to make up the weight difference between Kayo and the NSF. Out of the box the Kayo's suspension isn't as dialled as the NSF, but in the right hands it's just as competitive, last year's spec supersport (stock NSR, NSF, Kayo) champion rode a Kayo (In Canada)!

The Grom is a pig, the Kayo is almost a race bike.

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

#becauseGrom

14. backcountryme

The Canadian spec supersport champion is Conner MacCarrol, and he is a very fast rider. He is a member of our club. There are quite a few Kayos in our group, and they are fast. We just ran our national races a couple of weekends ago and the Kayos were way faster then the Groms. A stock Grom had a very hard time keeping up with the TTRs and XRs. Now this is on a fairly tight kart track.

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

If it does have a TTR clone motor... its not hard to wake them up.
    In stock form the ttr is a slow rev'er. Add a lightened flywheel, drop in cam, heavy clutch springs, some jetting and exhaust... wakes up nicely.
    Do a crank/piston, some head work... it will pull like a stock 150R less a few hp...lol:D

16. backcountryme

From what I have read TTR parts don't always fit. It is based on the TTR, but I don't think it is an exact copy. But, it is a pretty strong engine. And pretty cheap from what I have heard. So it might be worth getting one to play around with and see what parts fit and what parts don't.

17. nitto182

nitto182 Well-Known Member

The kid riding the Grom is also very fast (when not riding a Grom).

18. backcountryme

Yeah, the Finns are extremely fast. He wasn't who I was talking about though.

19. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Grom is never the answer... Unless the question is "what's the dumbest shit I can waste my money on"

20. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

:D well.....besides a Royal Enfield