1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kawasaki ZRX 1200

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Jon Wilkens, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

So when will these beasts have a class to race in? 1999-2000 (1100s) and 2001-2005 (1200)

Nothing state of the art about them, just a big ol motor in a bit of a flexy chassis. They are a blast to ride on track and go much better than they should when set up.

I've got my 2003 sitting here collecting dust and would love to race it with other like minded goofballs that like to ride big, hairy chested motorcycles. Sure would be a huge change to riding my SV!!

2. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Well technically, they already do. Not against -just- hairy chested, manly bikes though. Mostly frufru stuff with full factory bodywork and beefy chassis. I've thought it'd be fun to run my Bandit in a V class. I figure ground clearance would run out long before grip, therefore it'd be much "safer." :crackup:

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  3. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Doesn't it fit in V - 8 HWT?

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  4. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Yes, but it's not exactly apples to apples there being grouped with "A" bikes 12 years old or older.

5. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Who cares? Get out there and ride and have fun! I got my ass handed to me by Mark Junge and Jim Roth in V8 during Vintage Days. I still had an absolute blast.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  6. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

Yeah I was racing v8 during VMD too on my Gsxr600 though. Was pitted with Jim Roth and had an absolute blast!

Just run it in the v8hw class it’s super friendly and usually has a few 600s lined up in it too.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  7. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

I have wondered the same. I have always wanted to put my ZRX1100 on the track to see how it feels at speed.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  8. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Was it Mark Miller that raced one of these several years ago? One of the well known names did,but I don't recall exactly who it was.

9. J Bart

J Bart Fat Kid Track Days

Jake Holden raced a James Compton built ZRX 1200 in the Pikes Peak race a few years ago. There are a few videos of Jake during the race and a track day or two with Holden and Compton. The Compton built ZRXs are no joke, built well and have some nice kit.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  10. riversbikes

riversbikes Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'd like to find somewheres to race this -- 1996 Bandit 1200, aside from the carbs and the exhaust, no engine work (112 on a dyno). I can confirm some ground clearance issues need to be sorted....

Jon Wilkens, britx303 and Brad like this.
  11. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Awesome! I keep hard parts off the ground on my street Bandit with an Ohlins and slightly shorter dogbones. Pretty sure that wouldn't last passed turn 2 at a track! Are those forks any shorter than stock? GSXR1100 are they?

12. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

That bandit looks like a blast! Maybe trim the top-front of the bellypan to give some more clearance to raise it up a bit higher...........just a thought,unless its already getting close to the headers. Im sure theres a class or 2 it could fit in.

13. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

It seems like a good argument could be made to allow the ZRX1100/1200 into V-7 Heavyweight...after all V-7 Heavy allows RC51, TL1000R, Aprilia Mille up to 2003, Z1000 regardless of year, etc. A heavy, torquey, bendy, "no stoppy", "no turny" ZRX would fit right in.

V-8 Heavyweight would have bikes that would be just too much for the average ZRX to handle...04-06 ZX10R, 05 GSXR, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  14. fastedyamaha

Those bikes are required to be in super stock form though, so that makes a big difference to what you can do to a bike for that class. I’d love to do a lot more to my TLR for that class but I can’t. Is the point to get out and have fun on the track? Then race v8. Want to be in a class with no one else? Find a hand shift bike. My bike isn’t competitive in SS trim with mark junge’s kinda superbikey gsxr1000 in v8 but I still went out and had a blast at Vintage Days. Mongo says he’ll send anyone a trophy that needs one. Get the bike wired and get out on the track! I promise you you’ll have fun finding the limits of that bike on the track no matter how far back in the results you end up. I haven’t seen Jim Roth since the Swine Dudes Days, it was very cool to get to race against him this year. Kyle was a cool dude too, it was a blast to ride mid Ohio in that setting.

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  15. Kyle Brosius

Will you be at the GNF this year? I think the v8 class has historically been on Friday.

16. fastedyamaha

No, I’m a teacher so I can’t take that kind of time off to travel that far.

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  17. Kyle Brosius

Yeah I hear you. I work in the oil and gas industry and have to pick and choose which races I get to go to. I only get 8 days vacation per year.

18. fastedyamaha

Yeah that’s tough. I’m not even sure if that race weekend would even be enough points to earn a gnf invite. Next year when wera goes to Nelson’s twice I’ll be able to race both of those weekends.

19. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

EDIT - :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  20. fastedyamaha

Nah I’m not burnt out and still care about my students too much to take multiple days off like that. I average 2 “sick” days a year. If we miss less than 3 days we get a special bonus...5 or less is half the bonus and 5 or more means zero bonus.