1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

katana 600 any good to learn?

Discussion in 'General' started by newbie-racer, Mar 2, 2000.

1. newbie-racer

newbie-racer New Member

I have a chance to purchase a 91 Katana600
    for cheap. It runs great but it is still a katana. This will be my first year of racing so I need something to learn on, but I dont want something I will grow out of in 3 races... U see I intend on winning races.
    Any reply's will be greatly appreciated and will help you to advance to bbs expert status [​IMG]

2. Rusnak_322

Rusnak_322 FOX Mullet

You will be better off looking for a FZR400 or a Honda Hawk. Not only will you have a competitive bike to start with, you will have the same bike as lots of other racers at the track which means that you can pick up lots of set-up advice and in a pinch, bum some spares.
    If you were to buy a Katana, check the rules and buy one that would be eligible for some Vintage classes.

3. blubyu1000

blubyu1000 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't count on winning too many races on a Katana. The handling isn't that great and it would cost you some serious cash getting the suspension setup just right. I'm not sure, but wouldn't racing a Katana 600 put you in the 600cc class with the GSXR's and ZX6R's and R6's? If it does then you definitely don't want to be on a Katana in that class. I would stick to a FZR400 or a Lightweight Twin or heck, even a 250. This might sound crazy, but I think you would probably have a better shot at winning a 750cc Class race than a 600. Its just to crowded in the 600 class. Just my 2cents.

4. Team Serpent

Team Serpent Jason Temme #86 WERA Lifetime Member

Has anybody ever raced a Katana? I don't think so. I think you'd probably have a hard time finding fluid retaining lowers for it and probably any other race mod you'd like to make (rear-sets, suspension, performance parts, ect.....). Not to offend any Katana owners but my friends and I pronounce Katana - Can a tuna.

5. wera122

wera122 Guest

Taking an objective point of view I would have to say don't ever count a certain brand/model out of winning a race since with the right rider any bike can win. I know I'm stretching it a bit, and this is a very general statement, but I know I've been dusted by many an older bike with an experienced rider.

But I do agree from the standpoint of parts and advice that a Katana probably isn't tbe best choice. You want to learn to go fast on a slow bike first, so something like an FZR or Hawk would be the best place to start. You can even pick up an EX500 pretty cheap and race in lots of classes.

Don't worry about outgrowing the bike, concentrate on outriding the bike. Until you can push a smaller bike to its limits and ride that hard, you're not ready for a bigger bike. You'll learn much more starting on a smaller bike and will be that much faster as you move up the ranks. I started riding a 400 on the street and didn't bump up to 700/750cc until many years later.

Take it slow, take it smart and don't be afraid to ask for help. Everyone I have ever met at the track has been most helpful and willing to do anything they can to keep the competition going.

Good luck this season and we'll see you at the track! [​IMG]

6. WERA

WERA Administrator

Aww c'mon the Kanatuna (looks cool spelled that way in the original script Suzuki used) isn't all that bad and they even had their own Suzuki cup races, of course they were still not all that fast but the were semi-competitive at the time. As for racing one now - I wouldn't bother. Go with the previous post by Rusnak and get a Hawk or FZR400, run it for a year and graduate to the 600's next year. It will make you much faster in the long run.

7. Number400

Number400 Well-Known Member

Even an EX or an FZ would do. The Katana is very heavy and not really worth the money or effort. I started racing on my 1986 VFR700 and was getting housed out there. I went 10 seconds faster on a stock FZR400 the 1st weekend I rode it. Cost wise, the EX has a lot of advantages. I agree with everyone else about the 400 as well. Great bike and lots of R&D.

8. WERA 16

WERA 16 Guest

I wouldn't suggest the katana for two main reasons. The first being that readily available parts for a bike like that are not going to be easily found. Since no one races them, it would be a lost cause trying to find spares at a race if you go down.

Plus, riding a katana at least puts you into a 6oo class with the new bikes which bone stock are running over 100 horsepower now. And the katana was lucky to get 60 out of that motor. That was part of the reason Suzuki put out the GSXR 600 in 92 and 93 was to try a shot at the 600 supersport races because they really didn't have anyway to compete. Even then, it was only a heavily tuned down 750 motor in a heavy 750 chassis.
    In end, the FZR's ZX's and F2's were still winning.

Aside all the above, I would try an old F2. They are a easy bike to find parts for, you can make them go very fast and they are versatile. Granted being a well rounded rider makes you fast, but it helps to have power out of the corners. I would say ixnay on the katuna, and go for some of your other, equally inexpensive options such as a hawk or an older EX or F2. You'll be much better off.

9. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

the other guys are right
    the kanatuna is a sled an you would be better off on fzr or f2 ex,hawk
    and for your first bike what ever you buy. buy it as race ready it save you the headache because after you buy the bike you will spend LOTS of money preparing a bike you have to buy body work, tires, suspension mods, steel brake lines steering damper,pipe jet kit', racing chain ,and so on you easily can spend $2000 not counting the bike, I just bought a race ready f3 and enough spares to race this hole year for $3000 and put it on the track the next week end,it was so cool not have to do any thing to it. you probably could pick up an raceready ex or hawk for about $2000 give or take
    sorry so long but have put together two race bikes and don't get me wrong its fun but for your first year go out and learn on a bike thats allready been on the track
    hope this helps #382
    Ricky

10. blubyu1000

blubyu1000 Well-Known Member

Well my buds and I pronounce it...KA-CHUNK-A or KA-JUNK-A. whatever you prefer! [​IMG]

11. newbie-racer

newbie-racer New Member

Katana...What Katana? I appreciate u guys being so candid. I have another question though...

12. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

Boy, sounds like I did the right thing by getting a FZR400 to start on! (But just like newbie, I did ask around first).

I plan to run in D superbike (novice)that is what the bike is set up for...). I noticed that a couple of the events near home (Indy cycle-jam and Richmod Grand Prix) don't seem to have D superbike on the entry... Is it pratical (safe) to "bump" up to C superbike (novice, of course) with the FZR? I don't expect to win (even in D, it is my first year) but I want to run every race I can and learn as much as possible and these are close (I'm in Cincinnati). Any thoughts? I'm thinking about running in both D and C for the track time (etc) but I don't want to be "in the way". Thanks!!!

13. WERA

WERA Administrator

There will be a D Super race at IRP but not at Richmond. I wouldn't run it in the C Classes until you have have more experience and get a feel for what the C classes are like (it'll probably keep you from ever doing it...).

14. wera176

Thanks for the update! I don't see D super on the entry form for the Indy Cycle Jam, does that go under the "other" heading?

As for Richmond, I guess I'm SOL [​IMG] (?)... One of my buddies will surely need a pit bitch.. [​IMG]

Are there plans to increase the field for future events at Richmond?

15. wera176

Oh, and another thing... Since the Indy Cycle Jam is a National Challenge event and there is a good chance that I may still be a Provisional Novice (may not make Michigan) does that mean that I won't be able to race there this year? Does my previous experience in AMHRA (1 weekend) help me here? Or since it is D super am I ok???

Thanks!!

16. WERA

WERA Administrator

Yes we do plan to expand Richmond depending on how well the limited schedule works. For this year - practice your umbrella holding skills [​IMG]

Use a regular Sportsman Form if the Indy form is missing something. Being a PN is no problem.