1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K7/K8 GSXR 1000 suspension setup

Discussion in 'Tech' started by phelan77, Aug 24, 2012.

1. phelan77

phelan77 Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Currently my 2007 gsxr1000 bike is on a Penske 8983 shock and stock front.

Rear tyre 190/55, and fork flush to top triple.

At low speed while turning i notice that the front wheel wants to turn in by itself ( as in the clipon turns in more than my hand input) which is a bit unnerving at track.

Would appreciate any comments or suggestion to this issue that i am having...

Thanks

2. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Worn tires? How long is the rear shock?

3. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I was told by a reliable source that chassis likes the front raised quite a bit, more so than what you have now.

4. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

I like mine tall. The rear is 5mm shim (blue), and my forks are longer than stock (AK-Gas front, TTX-with-the-valve rear). My setup is way different than yours, though, my issue is hooking without traction control/controlling rebound on corner exits.

To fix it, I'll probably sell my 1k and get a 600.

5. 418

418 Expert #59

Nowhere near enough info to give any real useful answer.

6. phelan77

Hi All,

Solved the front end issue. Apparently my tire gauge was faulty and was giving me a higher pressure reading thus my tire pressure were way too low.:eek:

I notice that you are racing a K7 gsxr 1K. Care to share your geometry track setup? I have ordered a 25mm fork kit to complement the penske in the rear. Still need to dial in my setup to counter a bit on mid corner instability and to get better rear traction off corners. I'm an advanced group trackday rider...

7. some guy #2

Get the fork extenders.

8. phelan77

Care to share where I can get the extenders? The ones I have seen are for 600/750 bikes...

9. some guy #2

I'd call ohlins USA. I have not seen them for sale on a website and I asked for them when I ordered my 25mm kit.

10. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

My forks are longer with the AK-Gas internals. I don't recommend it as a cost-effective way to lengthen your forks - but it's a really nice front suspension.

11. phelan77

I've ordered a Matrix 25mm cartridge kit - F05R. Was told that it will extend the forks by about 3mm. Doubt that the ohlins extender caps will fit the Matrix. Any suggestions?

12. some guy #2

They probably will not fit. A lot of people are shoving the forks at least 10-15 mm further into the triples and you can't internally extend the forks that far I believe.

13. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

^some guy...

My AK-Gas fronts are (quote from Mike at Traxxion):
    Another option: look at the lower triple-clamp, and (if you're in a SB class) mill the top surface to drop the nose a couple of mm.

Mine are mounted with 1mm over the triple, a TTX rear with the 'good valve', a 5mm shim in rear, and swingarm angle at 12.6' (give or take a tooth on the rear sprocket). The bike is very tall. It produces a bike that does pretty much everything well, but can get the rear wagging under braking, and without TC can still spin the rear from corner-to-corner chewing up blue Pirellis. I haven't been able to fix that/control it.

As I said earlier, I will probably fix it by getting a middleweight for next season if I'm racing at all.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  14. some guy #2

Well there you go. Go buy some $$$ internals and problem solved :D :D

Either way to the OP get the bike tall tall tall.

15. 418

418 Expert #59

I don't have fork extenders. My bike handles fine. :)

16. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Yeah, I hear that from other folks, too. I bought mine with the AK-Gas and TTX (former Blackfoot Suzuki bike), and would rather go with something newer than change the setup I've got.

Yosh had linkage-rate swap parts for the '09-up, I don't know if anyone ever made any for the '07-'08. Not going to try now - there's a very strong possibility I'll be moving into the most-expensive real-estate market in the country soon. I may have to race a box-stock (Kawi 300?) class next season :)

17. 418

418 Expert #59

I think they can help but I was told you pretty much need to be at a AMA SBK pace to absolutely "need" them.

18. phelan77

So what geometry are you running on the K7 at the moment?

19. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Your moving to Cali...? :D

20. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

yeah, maybe. Shh.