1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K&N Oil Filter Recall

Discussion in 'Tech' started by jp129, Sep 15, 2017.

1. jp129

jp129 Well-Known Member

I believe many have known about this "issue" for quite some time, but finally K&N has acknowledged the issue.

Hopefully now they'll improve their design/QC process and produce the trusted quality product of former years. If you have any of these, you can at least get a replacement now.

https://www.knfilters.com/recallkn204

2. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

no issues with the Suzuki filters

MELK-MAN and triplestrong like this.
  3. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

buy hi flo filtro's... they make quite a few of the oem filters, and made the original k&n race oil filters (from what I gather). once I learned of the K&N failures, I quit buying them altogether... oem or hi flo for me, for ALL our bikes. Ski

Odilup likes this.
  4. Cobalt Coupe

Cobalt Coupe Well-Known Member

Bringing this back TTT because I just got an email from Midwest Track Day ( Jeffery Wheat ) that they have now completely banned any external K&N oil filters from any MTD events. I'm assuming that it is because of continued reports of the filters failing. I remember the recall on the 204 filters ( Yamaha models I believe cause I still have a couple on the shelf), and thought only the 204 had the issues, but apparently many other part # filters have had failure issues.

I liked using them because of the nut and the ease of safety wiring them, but since it seems to still be an issue with them failing, now I'm thinking of taking them off of all our bikes. Anybody have anymore info/insight as far as what the deal is here with these filters coming apart ?

Anybody have any luck getting K&N to buy them back or ?

As far as safety wiring a filter without the nut, is a hose clamp on the filter the best / easiest way ?

I guess I'm going back to using OEM filters.........................

SuddenBraking, MELK-MAN and K51000 like this.
  5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

the nut was a gimmick if you ask me. Put a hose clamp on, wire it, and you actually need no more tools to replace the filter than you do with the k*n, WITHOUT the potential for a seal failure, or the spot welds leaking.
    k&n - safety wire pliers, something to twist it off.
    OEM - screwdriver to loosen clamp, something to twist it off.

TLR67 and TurboBlew like this.
  6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t be surprised if those spot welds leak because ppl tighten the filter too tight with the nut.

Sometimes the hose clamp gives me enough purchase to unscrew the filter by hand.

7. Cobalt Coupe

I just sent K&N an email asking what they will do for me as far as all the filters I have that I can no longer use. I'll reply here if and when I get a response from them.

8. Cobalt Coupe

I wonder the same thing, if people are cranking way too hard on that nut and obviously over tightening the filter, causing the failures. BUT since MTD has completely banned them, even if a guy wanted to use them, he can't. So it really doesn't matter, I have a small stock of useless brand new filters.

9. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

They will replace them. If you don't hear from then, PM me & I'll reach out to my contacts for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boman Forklift likes this.
  10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yes super easy.

11. Cobalt Coupe

Will do . Thank you.

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Whose sig line is it that says, "Some people tighten their oil filter like it's holding the whole bike together"? :D

stangmx13 and MELK-MAN like this.
  13. MELK-MAN

so you can crank a filter hard enough to break the little spot welds, but you can't turn a screwdriver or small ratchet hard enough to keep the hose clamp tight on a filter. Um kay ;)

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There have been rare issues with the spot welds failing on the nut without touching it. However the overwhelming majority are because people use the nut to tighten them which is absolutely not what you're supposed to do. The nut shouldn't be touched other than wiring or removal.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  15. MELK-MAN

sadly, most riders don't comprehend this.. and unknowingly put themselves in a position to cause a disaster at worst, a big mess at best. Having that spot welded nut on there, is just asking for problems. great marketing on their part, but the fallout wasn't thought through.
    For me, even if they do recall the bad filters, I wouldn't ever take a chance on buying these filters, ever.. I have better things to do than check my filter every time i buy one, to be sure it's mfg date doesn't fall within that window . NO way is it worth the risk to me, or fellow racers.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed. I know better than to expect people to read the directions too :D

MELK-MAN likes this.
  17. The nut should be a tab with 2 holes then, sometimes you have to protect the general public from the general public.

Phl218 likes this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, it does way more harm than good.

19. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Purchase=grip

20. MELK-MAN

yea.. i know... hence the reply "but you can't turn a screwdriver or small ratchet hard enough to keep the hose clamp tight on a filter" ..
    the screw on a hose clamp large enough to go around a filter, is plenty big.