1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Justice Kennedy announced retirement.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by G 97, Jun 27, 2018.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

That’s what makes it so awesome. They have zero position to complain.
    Just wait until four or five yes votes come in from blue state Dems. Both Nancy and Chucks heads are going to expload. LOL.

sheepofblue likes this.
  2. gixxerreese

gixxerreese Well-Known Member

I like how he didnt even pick yet and they were already calling the unnamed person racist.

He’s got an opportunity for a great troll he should say I was going to pick (insert well known liberal judge) but they came out and said my pick is racist so I figured I better not pick him then. Lol

Orvis and blkduc like this.
  3. G 97

G 97 Garth

4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

One can dream.

BHP41 likes this.
  5. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Love all the predictable fake outrage on the nominee. My favorite might be the 'protesters' that had signs made up with three different names so they could pull out the one he selected regardless :Pop:

6. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Am I the only one that sees the irony of this photo?

[​IMG]

Funkm05 likes this.
  7. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I was just reading the exact article having the exact same thought.

8. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

There was so much of that. Here's a good one:
    https://twitter.com/jhseher/status/...ment-blasting-trumps-xx-rated-scotus-nominee/

They had this ready to go, just plug in the name of whoever it ends up being. The only problem, in the first paragraph, they forgot to plug in the name! :crackup: They got it in the second one though.

XFBO likes this.
  9. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Kavanaugh isn't always the strict constructionist as he portrays himself to be.

I don't see anything in the Constitution to support his positions against having independent agencies in the Federal Government. There isn't anything in the Constitution for them either, in which case it should fall to the legislature if they want to create them. His opinions seems to differ from that. In any case, his decisions add power to the Executive branch, which is something that was already happening too much too fast for my liking. For those thinking this is a good thing with Trump in charge, remember the next POTUS might not be one you agree with.

See the Corporate Governance and Internal Investigations section of this article for reference:
    https://www.jacksonlewis.com/publication/brett-kavanaugh-nominated-us-supreme-court

If you have time, potentially read the whole article. It seems to be fairly unbiased and should give some insight into his past decisions. In reality, not much if any of that will matter for the confirmation. The hearings will all be drama and theater. It will be a chance for some Senators to get a moment to show how much they approve or disapprove of the candidate or to make a political point.

10. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

this is a big problem across the board, all branches, all parties, that STILL nobody can seem to figure out (OR... they just assume it won't be THEIR problem by the time it becomes a problem). whether its Senate voting rules, or Executive power, or filibustering, or gerrymandering, whatever the flavor of the day is... everyone is always only thinking one step ahead. i feel like its impossible that nobody sees it coming, but they really don't seem to see things coming where their shortsighted "gotcha" gets turned against them literally in the next election cycle. its an insane concept from a group of people who's entire job seems mostly predicated on strategizing calculated responses and outcomes to positions/choices on things.

11. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

All their energy goes into surviving until tomorrow. No one will give up an advantage today because it might get turned against you in 3 years. We spend hundreds of billions on new infrastructure then let the older stuff literally fall apart and kill people because it’s not sexy or politically rewarding to budget enough money for maintenance. The political calculus doesn’t reward long term planning. Every society has been the same and this is why they all eventually collapse.

12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is a great example of a federal agency created and operated to further the interests of the DNC.

https://www.weeklystandard.com/the-rogue-regulator/article/2000932

https://www.nationalreview.com/2016/12/consumer-financial-protection-bureau-tragic-failures/

13. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

The Constitution is a blue print for the Federal government, no mention means it should not be done. Of course this has been wildly violated for a long time. Further it violates the principal of separation of powers so it would also not seem to be part of original intent. You obviously disagree but I don't see his interpretation that limits the government be it one run by Trump or even one run by the Hildebeast (shudder) as a bad thing.

14. 2blueYam

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Fixed

16. 2blueYam

Fixed again.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Good fix.

18. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

All these fixins is making me hungry.

19. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Saw on something last night (awesome qualifier) that a University of Chicago review of 20+ years of SCOTUS rulings, 98% of them have been along party lines. Politicians arguing about who gets nominated and what the balance is only acknowledges the bastardization of the judicial branch. Individual judges can (and should) interpret open language of the constitution differently, but without political bias. I'd wager only a tiny percentage of people in the US would come anywhere near 98% agreement with either party if given a SCOTUS sized list of topics, yet somehow we always find 9 that fit this description o_O

20. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Even without a review we know it works that way. This is why Trump's SCOTUS picks are the most critical action of his presidency. All his work will be undone by executive fiat the minute a Dem becomes President but they cant undo these SCOTUS picks. If he can get one or even better, two more after Kavanaugh all will be gold.