1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just picked up a 2000 Aprillia RS250 Cup bike

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by grandpanot, Apr 10, 2021.

1. grandpanot

grandpanot Well-Known Member

Replaced heads, powervalves, cables. Bodywork is rough, ohlins rear shock but other than that not many changes. This has been a race bike and no garage queen. I managed to get it for 3K so i feel i can put some $ in it and not be upside down. So far about $1k additional in it. I will be taking it to a track day for shakedown in May. Will need to source some better bodywork and maybe look at dual exhaust vs stacked.
    Any suggestions on sourcing parts use AF1 or Tyga etc.....

SpeedyE, aldonada and Phl218 like this.
  2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I have used, painted ex race bodywork if you’re interested.

3. markhamilton312

markhamilton312 Well-Known Member

4. BlueR32

BlueR32 Well-Known Member

AF1 for parts....#1

5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

6. grandpanot

Motion, agreed, not able to contain fluids.

7. grandpanot

Thanks everyone.

8. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

The left and right exhaust makes more power. Additionally the dual right side exit can limit your gearing choices a bit. Just try to cram as much shit in the box as you can from TYGA because shipping is pricey. On a positive note you’ll have it in three days.
    Wiseco makes pistons and cometic has gaskets. Snatch the exhaust every couple track days, have a peek and see how they’re doing.
    When you do a crank make sure you weld it and balance it because they do walk apart.

motion likes this.
  9. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Moto Jolly pipes are THE BEST for the RS250 other than the unobtanium Suzuki kit pipes. Keep RPM's under 11,750 and the crank will be much happier.

10. grandpanot

11. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

If I’m not mistaken, Jolly Moto ceased operations a couple years ago, however JL Pipes, is Jim Lomas and is now running their products as the manufacturer.
    The craftsmanship should be pretty dammed awesome still if not better.
    If again I’m not mistakes his welding team is ex Soviet Union aerospace welders and new younger craftsmen.
    I’ve had a couple sets of JL pipes, and I’ve never viewed better welding on much anything ... impressive craftsmanship.

12. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

https://www.jl-exhausts.com/jollymoto-exhausts-900-c.asp

Dave Hanson likes this.
  13. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

We just got these Friday,,,, waited a while,,, but this was during the take over and the China Virus BS,,,
    IMG_1264.jpg IMG_1265.jpg IMG_1266.jpg

RC713, SpeedyE and BlueR32 like this.
  14. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Yikes! Those look horrible. I had a set of Lomas years ago and while they were beautiful they did not perform as well as the Jolly Moto.

15. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I'd agree I had the dual stacked GP and sidex sides, had some road rashed Jollys once too.

No off the shelf pipe I ever used even came close to the performance / weight/ clearance combo of the Toomey design, or copies Toomeys just rocked ...lol
    I tried 5 different makes and prefer the Toomeys, but others were pretty close @ peak power on a Dyno including my 1st Gen Lomas GP pipes, one thing for sure is the Lomas pipes that I have are (by far
    the lightest RZ pipes) I've ever used . I once commented on a forum how light they were including their carbon silencers people called me out on that so I photographed them on a scale as proof.... Boo Yaa!

16. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I agree for an RZ. For an RS250 the Jolly Moto's kicked ass.

17. grandpanot

just placed an order with tuning works for some clutch parts. will order some engine spares from them later. Also go the IRC quick shifter from Moto-D. Has anyone used it on an Aprillia before?

18. grandpanot

I have the Arrow full system on my bike now which seems pretty good but needs a cleanup. wondering if my race bodywork from Tyga will foul on the exhaust. I noted the bodywork on the bike is open in the bottom and the Arrow system is pretty low

19. 2Roger10

2Roger10 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the plug!! Hope we have them ...we'll make them if we don't!! :crackup:
    Wiseco Part#: 852M05600A

grandpanot likes this.