1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jury duty

Discussion in 'General' started by drop, Jan 4, 2019.

1. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Simple question for the all knowing.

Can my arrogant tight ass boss take my vacation away from me, or make me use my vacation days, for having jury duty? In Tennessee if that matters.

2. No, he cannot.

omatter34 likes this.
  3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Can he find some other lame-ass reason to fire you down the road if you raise a stink about it? Yes he can.

Do you want to work for an asshole who would pull this bullshit is the baseline question.

badmoon692008 and Chris like this.
  4. In Tennessee, refusing to compensate an employee who is on jury duty is a Class A Misdemeanor. Retaliating against an employee for jury duty is also a Class A Misdemeanor.

Ducti89 and BrianC636 like this.
  5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Blankets and bats...where's this douche live?

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Your boss is a dope.

Steady T likes this.
  7. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

8. drop

drop Well-Known Member

I'm in the golden handcuffs situation per say.

He has taken vacation from people for far less.

I'm here because I do ok on money. The only reason.

He is a class a prick.

9. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

15 years ago I'd put in my 2 weeks notice to leave my job. Got picked for jury duty pretty much the next day. Company tried to tell me I had to forfeit my jury pay which was like $10 a day or something 4 day trial). Would have been no big deal but the attorneys had all told us they could not do that. I made a stink over the money and pissed all of them off and left on a sour note. Didn't really care since I was leaving anyway but had I not been I'm sure they would have found some reason to get rid of me

10. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

How many employees where you work? How long have you been there?

Tenn Code Annex 22-4-106

Not only can he not require you to use your vacation, he needs to pay you your regular wages, minus jury fees.

BigBird likes this.
  11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

12. auminer

Quoting statutes and stuff is really cute, but if a putzwaffle like that really wants to make a point, he can probably come up with a perfectly good reason to can your ass before lunch on your first day back.

Again: baseline question is why work in that environment? Pay is pay wherever you go. If you are worth it someone else that's not a douchenozzle will pay it.

13. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

My apologies. As a long-time HR professional, quoting “cute” statutes is kinda what I do. If he were to turn around and fire him, I’d likely quote a bunch more regarding unlawful termination and retaliation. ;)

14. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Awesome response! I love you..........in a manly friendship way of course. There are things that make me mad, but an employer trying to screw over an employee over something like Drop's situation just infuriates me! Again, thanks for the great response!

15. auminer

Smartassery aside, proving retaliatory termination can probably get expensive & this sounds like a guy that would fight a losing battle all the way to hell and back if someone dared question his authoritah. That or go out of his way to make working for him even less enjoyable until he makes the offender quit. It's not like he shows a history of respect for those cute little statutes. o_O

Again I'll reiterate the question of why continue to work in a hostile environment when this is such an employee's market. Inertia is a terrible reason to stay.

16. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I agree with not working for someone like that in the first place. There are always ways to get rid of someone, some more creative than others.

17. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I made the mistake of getting a US Licence again after not having one for 12 years to get an Indian Visa. Have never voted because heard a long time ago, thats how you get Jury duty. So I get a summons 3 weeks later, out of the country, I told them I don't live in the US, they postponed it for a month. Still told them I don't live in the US, then they asked me when I'll be back?? Finally talked to a smart lady and explained I don't know when I'll be back and the odds of me being there at the time of any random court case are slim to none. Think she realized I was a lost coz.

18. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

They treat that as a failure to appear.
    Hope she fully understood your situation.

19. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I got the warning that if I don't show up I will get an arrest warrant, which sucks coming in and out of boarders. Just flew back in from Sri Lanka and didn't get arrested so all good. I think they gave up

20. drop

drop Well-Known Member

About a month ago a coworkers girl friend was having their baby. My coworker was out with her at the hp. The owner of the company I work for told him "you need to chose, stay at the hp, or be at work tonight ".

I would have walked if that were to me.

There is a total of about 50 employees where I work. Small mom and pop machine shop.

He did tell me today, that I would have to make up all the time. And off the clock.

He seriously thinks no one is above him.

Mid summer this year, he took a 55 gallon drum of a mixture of lacquer thinner, acetone, coolant, and oil, outside the building and started burning it off.

Unfortunately I do all the painting for our company, and I do it in a nice size room, with an exhaust fan pulling the fumes out. Notice I said room not booth. I said fan not a proper exhaust system. He is fine with it. Says as long as we don't spray more than 50 gallons of paint a year, no one can do anything. I did research that and from what I have found, it's true. But irregardless it's horseshit.

Man I need a less stressful place to work.

auminer likes this.