1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jumping on a plane, short notice

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Oct 31, 2019.

1. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Any of you frequent flyers have any tips to avoid paying the amount that a monthly payment would be on a Bentley Continental GT for a short notice flight?

It is for work, and I will be reimbursed, but I want to make sure that flying half way across the country with only a week out notice is actually $1100, and I am not missing something.

2. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

better than jumping off a plane on short notice....

sorry, that’s all the help i’ve got

DrA5 likes this.
  3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Do you have alternatives for airports, departure or arrival? A lot depends on destination.

4. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I’ve paid 2k for a nonstop from Cincy to Montreal before on short notice. 1 1/2 hour flight. 1100 for a last minute flight isn’t that bad.

5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Shine the flight and get he GT...:D

[​IMG]

5axis likes this.
  6. DrA5

Kind of, but its just flying out to the west coast for a one to two hour meeting. SFO. I am trying to keep it from taking up three entire days of my time. I would like to be wheels up yet Friday afternoon, so I am back here for the weekend, versus killing my entire Saturday. I could kill my Saturday, but playing with the numbers saw no diff in price.

7. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Try Netjets

Rising and beechkingd like this.
  8. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Flying to SFO? Sounds like you're just going to have to bend over and take it.

Sabre699, G2G and speedluvn like this.
  9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Have you checked pricing out of Bendover International?

Shenanigans likes this.
  10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Video Conference for the win.

JBall likes this.
  11. DrA5

They offered both, but preferred in-person. Since they are paying, and it could be a pretty big gig that comes out of it, since its kind of like a second interview, I thought a good faith move on my part to make the effort to go out there would be best. I do think everything that we are going to do could be videoconferenced, but its their dime.

RichB likes this.
  12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

If they are OK with the cost, don't sweat it. Maybe show evidence that you tried to find a lower cost for bonus point.

DrA5 likes this.
  13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Did you look at OAK or SJO? SFO is usually $$$$ compared to the others.

But the way flights are running full, that’s pretty normal. I spent ~$400 miles o go from SBN the o PHL with a couple weeks notice, and at my connection in DTW the plane was so oversold they took volunteers and still left several people behind.

14. Make sure you book a round trip ticket, even if you have no use for the flight back.

Round trip tickets are cheaper.

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Use miles.

16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Why would anybody want to STAY in Cal. ? :D

Gorilla George likes this.
  17. Phl218

Phl218 .

a grand is about right for a good connection.

i've paid 3600 for economy 2 days out for a flight to france.

GSP-DTW is a grand most days of the week.

18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Fleeced! I paid $282 for my last LAX-CDG rt

19. Phl218

Phl218 .

36h before take off??

20. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

For a work trip? No way.

I worked for a company located in SFO in 17-18 while based in ATL. The flights were always stupid expensive, even a month out, and always full. I dislike that airport. It takes 40 minutes just to get to the rental car (and back from). You might have to just bite the bullet.

DrA5 likes this.