1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jump boxes…starter thingys

Discussion in 'General' started by 88/532, Dec 22, 2021.

1. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Been looking at these for about a year now. Seen review after review, via various internet site comparisons, Amazon, etc. The best selections seem to be all over the place. 100 people like this one, and another 100 say don’t go there, it’ll set your truck on fire. So, real world beeborama, whatcha use, watchcha like, what really sets your truck on fire?

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I bought the generic one that was between $75-100 about a year ago and it's been great. It jumped my Titan with a dead ass battery just fine. Plus it doubles as a hell of a phone charger if needed.

ToofPic likes this.
  3. 650 RACER

650 RACER Well-Known Member

4. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Yama-saurus and L8RSK8R like this.
  5. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

That's the one Im considering.

kangasj likes this.
  6. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

+2 for that one. My son got a 2 of those a couple years ago on some "flash sale" for like $150 each and sent me one.
    Started neighbors Ford diesel truck without a problem. Other son's Civic like nothing. Even Bobcat down at construction site below us last weekend.
    Son that bought them said used his a couple times for guys on base with dead batteries.
    No issues for any uses so far.

kangasj likes this.
  7. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

I trust this dude. Watch this comparison.

bought the Gooloo. I used to have the cheap Chinese one and it never worked right. This new one I haven’t tried yet. Just got it in the mail.

ducnut likes this.
  8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

This is the one I have. It will start the bucket truck on a 5 degree day when the onboard batteries just make the solenoid click.

Attached Files:

9. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Everyone in the car business seems to use JNC660's around here.

10. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I've had a few of the cheap jump bricks from Amazon... first 2 were worthless, but the $59 Tacklife I have now works great. I put it in the tankbag on the old Africa Twin in Europe to power my iPhone in an X-Grip. Easily lasts all day.

12. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

That’s the one I’ve seen/heard most about. Most folks like it, and others not so much. I assume that it’s made in China like 99% of them are. So, probably a crap shoot regardless of brand. Thanks for the info all.

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Oh yeah. I take mine camping to run the 12V air bed inflator and keep the phone charged.

14. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

+1

15. kangasj

kangasj Banned

It'll spin the 75 hp yanmar diesel engine in the boat like nobody's business. I've had it for maybe three years. It's the go to booster in the marina for my friends that know I have it.

16. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I've got that Imazing IM29 one. It did help start my F350 when the batteries were to dead to spin the starter.

17. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

So there's two different types of these 'jump pack things'. One is a tiny handheld size that is typically a lithium battery with capacitors and able to very quickly discharge 2kamps or so to start a car/truck/bike etc. I used a $50 amazon one for about a year, and when I went to pull it out at Barber in November (35* mornings) I noticed the battery was so swollen it broke the plastic case it's housed in. Definitely not good - brought it to the recycler place.

I also have one of the JNC660 style jump packs from HF which is basically just a gel style motorcycle type battery with some leads on it and a little air compressor. It's OK-ish. It works well for pumping up bike and bicycle tires. Otherwise, it's just a little battery without much juice - not sure it'd start a dead car/truck.

So I'd say if you're looking for something to keep in your car/truck/backpack to jump start something, get a good quality (i.e. not cheap) lithium/capacitor thing like this https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Veb6o...0237&msclkid=a031220859f914f31ada43cbcc3d7d2c

18. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

I had the antigravity micro start and used it many times for the last at least 5 years. Just died a few weeks ago..I think it got overheated in my truck and the battery pretty much blew up to about 3x it's normal size. Would buy another no hesitation

19. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

20. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude