1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Journey - best song

Discussion in 'General' started by Knotcher, Dec 5, 2019.

1. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Wasn't it Journey that found a young Philipino to replace Perry?

That was an interesting documentary...

MELK-MAN likes this.
  2. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Yes, great documentary and story of them finding Arnel Pineda who has now been the lead singer for Journey longer than Steve Perry.

Other trivia: Steve Smith is back on the drums since Dean Castronovo couldn't keep himself out of trouble / jail. Dean's hard hitting style is good for the rockers while Steve's jazz style is better for the rest of the songs but they lost a bit of the richness in the singing harmonies without Dean. They probably are slowing the recording / touring down a bit since Steve is still keeping active with his Jazz band as well as Journey. That is probably fine with Neal Schon as he likes to do solo projects as well and let's face it, these guys are not exactly young anymore except Arnel.

3. ronin1052

ronin1052 Well-Known Member

Dear Diary,

Few months back, wife ‘invites’ me to a semi-formal Gala/Reception concluding a weekend-long self-discovery seminar she’d attended. ZERO interest, no way out – but free dinner & drinks. I’ll be a good soldier.

Dinner was quite good, but all the weepy ‘life-transforming’ speeches got me bored off my ass.
    Another cerveza sounds great. And another…

Then there’s dancing. Fack. Most folks are sifting out. Dying a slow death…but there’s a handful of well-turned-out, cute, early-middle-aged chicas on the floor. Then the DJ spins. “Don’t Stop Believin'.”

Next thing I know, I’m floating towards his stand, asking for a mic. Out-of-body type shit. DJ rolls with it, and I’m in the singing biz.
    I’m not kidding, it was like flypaper…dance-floor-talent cuties are ALL OVER my shit!
    4:11 of heartthrob fame! (At 54, I'll take what I can get!)

Wifey looked just a tiny bit jealous, but she’s cracking up, I know she enjoyed the show as the Groupie Queen. Hell, she was bit fired-up herself a bit later.

Damn, I shoulda sang more Journey karaoke BITD. Who knew??

Bottom line:
    Tight and Talented band, I strongly prefer the early albums.
    Never a huge Perry fan myself, but there’s no denying he could deliver the serious panty-dropper goods at the time. Powerful stuff.
    My vote(s): “Feeling That Way/Anytime”, followed closely by “Just The Same Way.”

2blueYam likes this.
  4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Indeed. I saw them live in Vegas @ the Hard Rock back in 2015 I think it was and let me tell you, that little fella sounds every bit of Steve Perry as Steve Perry did.

On a side note I guess my answer to this would be "Be Good to Yourself".....White Water Summer soundtrack.

[​IMG]

5. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Only the young

6. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Deen has done some shows with Journey through Time and has a new band that just released music. Not in jail. And he is the closest singer to Steve Perry

7. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

There are a few for me but this one was always one of my favs, Feeling That Way/Anytime

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Yzasserina likes this.
  8. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I know he isn’t in jail now, but he lost his spot on last year’s tour because he was in jail at the time they were starting the tour. It wasn’t his first run in with the law either. He does sound like Perry on the stuff that doesn’t require too much range, but can’t come close to hitting the high notes like Arnel.

9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I cannot hit "next song" fast enough when that one starts. Rush should have done that song. To me that one song is definitely a clunker
    in Steve Perry's body of work. Sorry MetalHead.

I only know of Journey with Steve Perry....and always liked "Open Arms" and "Faithfully". It's not about Perry's vocals in those two,
    it's how balanced the recordings are as my ear hears the song. No matter how loud I turn the volume, somehow the speakers never get over driven.

I like the melodies and countermelodies and how they work together. Whomever did the mixing on those two tracks
    did a masterful job, in my opinion.

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

For me that'd be a close second.........Vision Quest.

Shenanigans likes this.
  11. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

4 channel with me started with vinyl.
    On a trip to LA in the late 80's, meet a guy who worked on production of the Street Talk album.

12. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

If you can call him a "replacement"
    He sucks and so does the band now

13. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Thank you. I saw them twice recently and that dude sounds nothing like Steve Perry and both shows were awful. The first of the two was at the Classic East in NYC and the other 5 bands sounded fantastic, so it wasn't the venue.
    Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan, The Eagles, Earth, Wind, and Fire, Journey and Fleetwood Mac. Six bands over two days and Journey was the only one that sucked. Rest killed it.

14. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

“Now”??............:p

15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the only one who wouldn’t suck is Fleetwood Mac.

16. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Actually their set wasn't the best either. I've seen them a few times recently and they were really really good. At this show the song selection was weighted too heavy toward Lindsey Buckingham and Christie McVie songs. When you have Stevie Nicks on stage, everybody else should pretty much shut up and play their instruments with the exception of backing vocals.
    The Eagles with Deacon Frey and Vince Gill were very good.
    Steely Dan was as well.

The Journey set was so bad we got up and went looking for drinks and t shirts.

ducnut likes this.
  17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Yeah, she’s their identity and should be in the spotlight. That’s the only way to ensure longevity of their show/band.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Just found that on the yourgores. Hadn't heard it in years and you know what, it doesn't suck.

Great movie if you suspend belief that Modine could beat that giant corn fed.

Shenanigans likes this.
  19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I know, and people are yet people are still getting pissed that some random untrained chick could take down a Sith lord in The Force Awakens without hardly breaking a sweat.

20. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Can't believe I've never heard the "Journey" album. T'is awesome.