1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jon/ Fishing boats... Teach me.

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Came back Saturday.

Terrible. Small craft advisory every god damn day we were there. Never even got the boat off the trailer. Disappointing for sure.

2. Scotty87

Holy balls! I'd say you found the school!

3. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Pussy! :D

Up here this week. Heading out on Rowleys tomorrow. I’ll keep ya posted.

4. Scotty87

Dude I hit every launch north of Sturgeon Bay, believe me. Both sides of the peninsula. No dice. Didn't even see one single big boat out there, let alone my 19' bass boat.

Actually saw a commercial style salmon boat packing his shit up at sunrise at Bailey's marina. He looked at me and said "you're not thinking about trying to go out in this, are you?".

That was enough for me.

Good luck though, hope you get on em.

Funkm05 likes this.
  5. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I get it. We were talking about maybe trying to hit Strawberry when we got up here yesterday afternoon. Walked down to the marina from the cabin ... NOPE.

6. Multiple. Since there was too many a holes out all weekend wakesurfing n such (me included) the fish didn’t do squat all day as the water was horrible for visibility. They go apeshit at night.

7. As much as I love fishing, growing up on Erie sometimes it’s not worth the risk. I’ve seen way to many boats get swallowed up my big waves. On a side note of big waves. Surfing my tracker behind my buddies wakeboard boat is actually kind of fun. At first I was screwing around as he was turning around picking someone up (I was filming beside his boat) then we turned that into a sport :)

8. Scotty87

Where do you normally launch out of?

9. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Hit Rowleys Bay today. Going to launch out of Fish Creek tomorrow and hit the Strawberry Islands. Buddy got this one today ... biggest of the day at 18.5”, 3.78 pounds.

Attached Files:

groundhogday likes this.
  10. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

What lake are you guys talking about?

11. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Lake Michigan I believe.

12. Nice fish!!! I installed my new 36v trolling motor with LiOn batteries. Actually saved weight and moved them to a better balanced spot as I’m usually alone so needed to balance the boat better. My $7500 alum tracker I planned to just buy to use at night and fish with my son is now like an old hooptie with $10k in rims :) I just like being able to program a trolling motor to go where I want it to and more than anything. Plus with the remote it allows me to control it from other areas of the boat at my little guy like to fish from the front of the boat. He thinks he can catch more fish as the pros fish from the front of the boat :) I’ve been on the lookout for a used micro powepole. I did opt for a manual jack plate as spending $1000 on a hydraulic one was a) too heavy b) way overkill After getting the motor at the ideal height, over propping it but modified, sharpened and balanced the prop (I made my own block for the prop to get the blades perfect). With just me, 12 gal of gas and half of bass pro shop in the boat in right conditions the boat will hit 40.3 on 2 way avg of 30s runs. That’s not fast, I just wanted it to hit 40 as most people claim that boat / motor will never do 40 :) I also coded the ecu to dump more fuel in it. My first time breaking into an ecu by myself. I also have a 75hp that I stumbled across from a guy that needed cash. The 60 is max hp with that block. The 75 is same up to 115 (I think). There’s always room to make everything better.
    I’m in line to get my buddies 2019 ranger when he gets his 2020. He will sell it to me for 37500 as I got him more than 5z that discount in sponsors for next year and didn’t charge him anything.

13. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

He is correct. More specifically, Door County. Rowleys Bay is the Lake Michigan side of the peninsula. Strawberry Islands are on the Green Bay side things. All around the peninsula is AMAZING smallie territory, though. That pic is just average up here. 5-6 pounders are pretty common. 7-8 pound is always possible.

14. I’ll be heading out in 90 degree heat in a few hours. Nothing like heading out fishing at peak temp of the day. Fml.

15. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

After my last post in this thread frustrated at my lack of fishing time I rounded the kids up and headed downstairs to make some lures. They drew them out, I cut them out on the bandsaw and they put in lot's of sanding time to get them round and smooth. Then they painted them, and I painted mine (first time ever airbrushing anything). This past weekend we got out to try them and see how they work. They surprisingly worked great, and swim straight and true with decent action, but we couldn't convince any fish to bite.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mines on the right, sons are two left bottom ones, and daughters is the pink "shark". Gonna get out again this weekend to try again. Had a ton of fun and already started working on my next one, and 8" perch swimbait. My son is HOOKED now. :). Another, my Son finally got the hang of casting by himself down, and was flipping lures out there like a pro. I can't wait till my daughter gets it (not far off) then maybe I get to pick up a rod again lol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    On a racing related note, I found a new use for my old safety wire :)

16. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Hey @Scotty87 ... hit the bay again. Buddy caught one this afternoon. 21.5”, 7.9 lbs.
    32BDF3DB-474B-4821-92B8-07D328C94D25.jpeg

bacolmm, Dan Dubeau, R1M370 and 2 others like this.
  17. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

@Dan Dubeau check out Marling Baits on YouTube if you're into building lures. He does some impressive stuff.
    I've been in a September slump for muskie. Last one I caught was the weekend before Labor Day weekend. Little pipsqueak. Raised one this morning and one this evening but no biters. Still getting some smallies to eat though.

18. Scotty87

bacolmm likes this.
  19. I’ve been on the fish last few times out. Off to Germany then assen for BSB so no fishing for a week.

Attached Files:

20. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Marling baits was the driving force behind this whole thing. The kids love watching his videos too. Engineered angler is another good one too, as well as solarbaits. I've stumbled into another fun "money pit" hobby as my wife calls them lol. At least I'm taking the kids with me on this one :).

groundhogday likes this.