1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jon/ Fishing boats... Teach me.

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Jun 18, 2018.

1. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Stick with alum, flatbottom, with a 6HP or less sized motor.

Nothing smaller than 10 ft, and have a freaking blast.

Alum > glass only because of weight, and overall ease of use.

2. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to go with a 14ft if I can a 10 ft just seems so small.

dickie doo likes this.
  3. j cal

j cal Well-Known Member

Get a couple kayaks, he can go out alone when he gets older. If anything, resale value should be good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

4. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

If you run across a Gheenoe or a Riverhawk in your search, then pounce on it. Its a hybrid canoe/flat back boat that's almost impossible to turn over. It is very nimble, and can draft in almost no water. I have a 13' that's perfect for my son and I. They are very hard to find and almost never for sale, so if you see one, don't miss out.

5. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Side note. Teach the boy how to piss from a boat. It's a vital life skill. We found out last year on a fishing trip that one of our buddies couldn't piss from a boat. Having to make a run to shore so he could piss, led to more teasing than any adult man should have to endure.

j cal, TurboBlew, dickie doo and 4 others like this.
  6. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

How can you not? It's like pissing on land... only in a boat? It's not like you need a course on it :crackup:

TurboBlew and BHP41 like this.
  7. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

I was typing the same thing. Lol :crackup:

Worst case, you fall in.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  8. Dan Dubeau

We were dumbfounded too. We were talking about it at my daughter's 4th birthday party on the weekend, and my Aunt said "hell, even I can piss from a boat" lol.

TurboBlew, BHP41 and badmoon692008 like this.
  9. BHP41

As far athe boat. Look for a used BassTracker. 14’ and up. That’s a one shot deal and will give you everything you want. If not that then do not get a trolling motor on the rear. You want a little wind when you fish and you’ll be trying to position the boat more than you’ll be fishing. It’s such a PITA that I built a mount for the front of my buddy’s 12’ aluminum V and used a 50lb minnkota w/ spot lock. Night and day difference when out on the water.

10. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I think you are getting some advice which will put you way beyond where you need to go. Based on your original post, either a v or jon boat will work in the 12 to 14' range. I also think a trolling motor is all you will want or need based on your description of the only 2 lakes you will be fishing. That will get you on the water faster, cheaper and easier than any of the other suggestions.

Funkm05 likes this.
  11. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Another vote for a flat-bottom, aluminum jon boat. Dad had one when we were little and he'd take us up the river for trout fishing. Head up stream as far as we could, raise the motor, float down stream fishing with spinner bait or corn. Good times as I recall. Don't remember any of us (Dad and brother) falling out or having any kind of problems.

12. assjuice cyrus

Thays funny you say that. I was driving to a customers shop out of town and go around a corner and BAM, there was a flat bottom boat on the corner for sale. No gas engine, and i think was 14ft but a front and rear trolling motor. Had 3 seats and decent storage all wrapped in carpet. Called the number and left a message so we will see what he wants for it. Wish i knew how to uoload a pic always saays file to large. Same thing my wife always says...:D

Dan Dubeau likes this.
  13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You took the pic with your phone? Email it to yourself but select "large" instead of "full size", then open the email and save the smaller pic for upload.

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  14. assjuice cyrus

Ill have to do that. I bought it. Guy called me back. Its 14ft. 2 trolling motors wired up nicly so one man can use both from the back. Fush finder, vest, live well, 3 seats that swivel with backs, capert lined inside, power outlet wired up, with trailer for $600 bucks. Couldnt pass it up.

badmoon692008, rk97 and Funkm05 like this.
  15. BHP41

It doesn’t matter what you get. You’ll be spending time with your boy, on the water and fishing. It doesn’t get any better than that and he’ll remember it for his entire life.

Funkm05 and pfhenry like this.
  16. I would have left HER on shore.

BHP41 likes this.
  17. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Damn dude...score!

Now go have fun with your boy :clap:

18. Dan Dubeau

That's a great deal. Have fun fishing with your boy.

They tried the first time it happened (I was in a different boat). We did call "her" Stephanie all week though.

19. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

$600! Great buy.
    Now check the trailer tires, bearings and lights

20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Then check that the boat floats. :D

TurboBlew likes this.