1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeep

Discussion in 'General' started by TWF2, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Never owned a lifted vehicle and I drive on the beach quite a bit. I'm pretty OCD about keeping sand/salt off the entire vehicle, but I'll be damned if I'ma gonna crawl around under the thing.

How to wash underside of a vehicle:

1- get lawn sprinkler out of storage. attach sprinkler to garden hose
    2- place sprinkler on ground. center vehicle over the sprinkler
    3- turn on water
    4- have beer
    5- turn off water after 1st beer. If exceptionally dirty undercarriage, have 2 beers, then turn off water.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  2. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Good thing you don't work in CIP design.

3. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Good thing I take the practical approach to simple things.

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I spent an hour and a half under my XJ with a high pressure hose after playin' around in the spillway in NOLA. Not a chance in hell a garden sprinkler would put a dent in what I washed off. It would be better to drive around in a relentless rain storm. At least there'd be some real velocity spray thrown against the undercarriage...but even that wouldn't necessarily flush out the nooks and crannies in bumpers, frame rails, etc.

I understand the sentiment and have heard it before, but that's all it is...a sentiment.

5. Paint Shaker

Paint Shaker Tractor Motor Racer

I have a 1983 CJ. If I want air, I open the windows and/or take the top off. If I want heat I close the windows and/or leave the top on. LOL

renegade17 likes this.
  6. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Just curious...how would a RZR have done in the 33" of unplowed powder like snow that we had last year? My bone stock Wrangler Sahara did just fine. Full disclosure...it isn't completely stock. It has LED headlights, all weather mats, door sill protectors, and a SmittyBilt cargo thing that's attached to the tailgate door. The snow coming up over the hood was unexpected and a bit of a nuisance, but, I still made it through.
    Even if it would go through that, I don't think it would have done too good against the 40 trees/shrubs/bushes that I ripped out of the ground after 15+ years.

7. My 14 Unlimited has a 3.5" lift and rides better than a stock one. If you spend the money and do it right the rides not compromised but improved. That being said it's still a Jeep with no carpet now, haven't put the hardtop on since new and it's been off some sweet jumps. Top and doors off makes the drawbacks worth it to me. I am putting the hardtop on this week as I'm taking it up to Mi over the holidays while the rest of the family is flying, going to play up there with it for a few days. One of the best parts about my Jeep is dealing with customers from Asia and Europe, they all love it. Never thought I'd use it for that purpose so buying the GX was kind of a waste of money as that things boring.

8. There's a few RZR's in my town plated. No idea how they went about it though.

9. I looked at RZR's before I bought my Jeep. I have less into my Jeep than I would for 2 RZR's. the business case didn't make sense for the RZR's in my case. Still may buy one though.

10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Seriously? Powder is nothing, the side by sides float right through it. Try taking your Wrangler up the mountains this time of year with 5+ feet of snow. The side by sides will make it further, and the snow mobiles will go beyond that. Use the right toy for the right job.
    If we want to make asinine comparisons like pulling stumps, how about taking your Jeep straight up whatever the largest sand dune is to you without stopping or digging in? How about a 50" wide trail, or open desert whoops at 60 miles an hour? Hell, my Tacoma will do both those better than a "bone stock Wrangler" and will fail next to a RZR, Commander, YFZ or Wildcat.
    If you like your Jeeps, that is awesome. Lots of people do, and lots of people keep the economy going strong due to them. Cracks me up how butthurt Jeepers get over nothing.
    But they are nowhere near as fun off road as the side by side world. It's why everyone mocks Jeepers, even in Moab.

11. SOFG2

SOFG2 Well-Known Member

We have a 2000 TJ with the 2.5 and it has taken a lot of work to keep it on the road. The previous owner did no maint. Complete brakes, belts, some wiring, new sound for the kid. It did have an overheating problem until we replaced the radiator, problem seems to be solved. Fun old heap when the sun is out. 6" lift with 32x12.5's on MT rims, winch and aux. lights. Something else will break but we knew it was a project going in. Going to need tires and I'm afraid wheels next.

12. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Back to the original question.

I had a 2004 Unlimited and now have a 2016 Sahara Unlimited.

The pros of the 2004 are as follows:
    -Good power from the 4.0 liter (bullet proof too)
    -Powertrain is so simple, Helen Keller could work on it
    -Old enough that you don't mind hosing out the empty beef jerky wrappers and Skoal spit from the interior.

The cons:
    -Climate control system sucks and is unreliable.
    -It's a freakin' gas hog. Especially once you lift it.

I'd get it.

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I have played around in RZR's and for me they are kinda like Jet skis. I have fun for about 20 min and then I just want to go hang out, bullshit and drink beer. They just do not blow my hair back. And like you mentioned, they are crazy expensive. To each their own but I would definitely recommend trying one for a day to see what you think before you buy one.

14. I've spent a couple days on them at Polaris up in Mn last year including some new ones not out yet. You have to get the high end ones for any sort of fun then add about 5k in extra crap. I still may get one just to bash around with once I find the loophole to make it street legal. Making it street legal would open up a new level of fun for me.

15. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I gave up on Jeep, makes more sense to get side x side. I am going to look at used maverick max tonight, they are down to reasonable prices.

16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Ya, the side by sides are love them or hate them sorta rigs. I fall more on the "hate" side. I prefer the Jeep and then if things get really rough or fast I would rather be on a bike.

17. I have a dirt bike (2t and a 4t, both proper woods bikes), a 2014 pretty well built Jeep, I think a RZR would round out the portfolio

crashman likes this.
  18. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

This is what you need, Doug. In 2wd

[​IMG]

19. That looks fun.

20. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I would have settled for either or yesterday. In Northern Brazil. Stuck with this POS 2 wd w/ a v/w bug engine in the sand dunes going to a kite lagoon. Tried every trick in the book and after 3 hours and getting stuck 3 times made it out. Palm leaves, wet the sand, put my towel and rash guard under the tires, was getting deseprate!!