1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jam Nut or Nutsert (rivnut) for thin aluminum?

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Nov 9, 2020.

1. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Curious if I should use a jack nut or a nutsert (rivnut) for creating a threaded insert on thin aluminum sheet. I think it is .03.

They won't have too much stress on them, but it seems the jack nut would have more "flare" area on the back of the panel and would therefore be less susceptible to pulling through.

Thoughts?

2. NemesisR6

Apologies for typo.........title should have been a "jack nut," not a jam nut.

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

4. NemesisR6

I should also specify that this would be a blind install, as in I can't access the backside of the material.

5. -Eric-

-Eric- Well-Known Member

Pem's are junk unless you have the right install tool. Just use a Rivnut

6. ChemGuy

NemesisR6 likes this.
  7. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Plus nuts are overpriced jack nuts.

Rivnut is probably your best bet, or if really thin and you don't want to deform it on install, maybe well nuts?

8. NemesisR6

9. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Nutplates that rivet on are far superior to anything mentioned so far.

10. ChemGuy

Agreed. But it didnt sound like anything he could do.

For a few here or there maybe no tool is OK. If this done regularly the tools are always better.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  11. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

If no stress maybe you can use rubber well nuts, like those used for windscreens. You just need hole drilled for those.

12. beechkingd

He's more likely to have a pop rivet gun than a rivnut puller. You can install nutplates with 3/32 pop rivets.

13. NemesisR6

lol ya'll gotta give me some credit.

I did think about nutplates as well, but the rivets would provide even less surface area behind the material than a jam nut. Plus I'd like to try and keep as low profile as possible.

Thought of that, but didn't want the well nuts shaking around and possible coming out when there is nothing bolted into them. They will be hanging vertically from the underside of my trailers drop-down bed.

14. beechkingd

Ok, I was going off of myself, I don't own a rivnut puller (I borrow one when I need one), but I do have a pop rivet puller. I personally hate rivnuts, if you don't install them just right they will strip or spin. Even if you do install them correctly they frequently end up spinning later on. Nutplates hold structural parts of airplanes together, rivnuts hold plastic or fiberglass fairings on them.

15. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Agree , but he said he doesn’t have access to the inside .

16. beechkingd

Missed that.

17. NemesisR6

Well, I got everything mounted up using basic jack-nuts from Ace Hardware. They had enough grip range that I could use them where I had access to the frame-rails in the drop-down bed and a couple areas where it was just the sheet aluminum. Turned out plenty strong and did a test fit of the bike transport system I'm trying out.

Still have some fine-tuning to do but happy with the results so far.

124868267_4080505455309339_8060546681666615614_o.jpg

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  18. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Pit bike, gravel, or do you ride that on road?

19. NemesisR6

Pretty much. It's just a bike. I ride with my kids and my dad around the neighborhood and for sure getting around the pits and campgrounds.........I'm no avid cyclist by any means.