1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Italy

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Jan 13, 2022.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Try to request diesel cars. And watch out for the zona traffico limitato areas in city centers. Cameras will ding you.

rd400racer likes this.
  2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Buono, you godless heathen!

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for the license advice. I spoke to AAA just down the street from me and have it scheduled for next week. Had no idea it was so easy.

4. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

What does Sonny have to do with anything?

I am in southern africa next month so the DL advice is appreciated here as well.

5. rd400racer

I don't know if this will tag correctly or not, but she said you can fill it out before you get there. https://www.aaa.com/vacation/application2a.pdf

6. motion likes this.
  7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

And don't look or act like a tourist if possible. It's sad but the thieves have figured out when to break into your trunk and they love to steal I-pads, laptops, etc.

8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

It's the national sport there

Phl218 likes this.
  9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Isn't Italy full of Eyetalians?

10. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

What we did, we spent 2 weeks in italy landed in milan, rented a toyota yaris (gasser) from avis drove str8 to lake como and stayed on the right side (cheaper hotels) and took a ferry to visit the other parts. Then drove to Verona stayed there for 2 days, then drove to Lana (cheaper hotels) there we visited merano, lago di brais (hiked there). Then headed to venice, we got a hotel outside kinda far and took the train into venice (i didnt care for venice too much as it was all touristy) then we headed to bologna, then drove to florence, then the leaning tower, then we headed to genoa and stayed off one of the cenque terres islands, you can hop all the islands. Then we went to portofina (the beverly hills of italy), then drove to the awesome la spazia beach where the locals go to hang out, and the end theres a island and many are topless. Finally drove back to milan and boarded our return flight.

The highlights, I wouldnt skip lake como it was nice but pricey. You dont want to miss the norther dolomite mountains, its super epic. Lago di brais is the most photographed location on instagram, def hike around the river. La spazia cheap and was awsome beach town. When driving becareful of the speed cameras that are hidden. As for theft, I wouldnt worry about it with a car, its only when you board trains. Northern italy is very safe compared to the southern, from what I heard.

We basically would find cheaper hotels outside of the main cities and look for hotels that offer free breakfast. At night we would find local foods or 5 euro PIZZA. Italy was not expensive, especially with the euro dropping. I loved every bit of Italy! I want to go again soon

rd400racer and Phl218 like this.
  11. rd400racer

Lodging completely booked, one final question...car rental in Milan. When I go on various travel sites they have companies I've never heard of with sketchy reviews, yet the bigs are double the price of them. I'm guessing there's a reason why or do only the 5% bitch the loudest? I see the post above used Avis; they're one of the twice as much companies.

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Rental car counter at Milan is a nightmare. Lines are always long and the queue barely moves. I would stick to the big names only. Other option is to take the train into the city and grab a car there, but that's obviously not convenient. Avoid the airport taxis! 50 euro will get you about 10 kms.

13. rd400racer

We're leaving straight from the airport to Lake Garda, so quickest is best. I've heard it's bedlam at the counters...my favorite thing.

14. Phl218

Phl218 .

15. rd400racer

That's what I'm using, yet there's a bunch of strange companies that when you do a google search come up with horrible reviews. Here's one such company that has lot's of cars for 1/3 of the big guys.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...NOT_rent_a_car_from_Sicily_By_Car-Sicily.html

I suppose I'll spend the extra bucks and go with a reputable company. I.ve been accused of being cheap:D

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  16. Phl218

Phl218 .

risk it, take lots of pictures of every little scratch on the car, best with a person there, have them sign that they did the walk-through and it's ok. print basic car outlines for every side, to mark errors. have the dude sign off. (rentals in europe don't have the "if it's less than a dollar bill size scratch on plastic it doesn't matter"... they will try to get every penny from you.)

I've rented at MXP, and on Sicily, form cheap ass companies. had no problem.

rd400racer likes this.
  17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I returned a van to MXP 5 years ago and they tried to charge me $180 for a ding in the back bumper that was there when I picked up. This was with Hertz. I even had photos of when I picked it up that showed the ding. They gave up after a couple years of trying to collect. Be really careful with those guys.

Phl218 and rd400racer like this.
  18. jdanhires

jdanhires Well-Known Member

rd400racer likes this.
  19. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Do they have National Rental over there? Walking by that line and just getting in your car and leaving is so damn satisfying...

20. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Make sure you have two drivers that can operate manual transmission cars.

rd400racer likes this.