1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Italy

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

I was wondering of they would ever be able to clean that place up.
    Made quite an impression on this 16 year old. LOL

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Interesting, because I did my Naples/Capri trip in 1977 at 16 years old and don't remember a thing about it being dirty. Then again I went with my aunt and uncle and drank my way through Europe.

Phl218 likes this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Is Italy residency card to get for Americans? Maybe get in early through Portugal or Malta and moved to Italy when you're actually ready for that.

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

they make good pizza though

cpettit likes this.
  5. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

And three coloured ice cream :D

6. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

I went with my high school Latin club.
    My friend an I had just turned 16 so our teacher let us go off on our own a couple of times.
    We took a few wrong turns after a few beers and found the dirty parts. :beer:

rd400racer likes this.
  7. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

I am currently living in Rome.
    First thing you need to think about are the restrictions because of covid. No idea what the future holds, but right now you will not be able to eat in any restaurant, enter any museum, or ride any train in the entire country without a greenpass or US equivalent. Full stop. And masks are required everywhere. They don't care about personal politics or beliefs and will not argue the point. If you are not vaccinated, do not come here.
    With that out of the way, I have to agree with basing yourself in Firenze instead of Milano, though sounds like easy access to a major train line should be a consideration. General transportation strikes do happen. usually on a Friday so if possible dont plan on traveling by train on a Friday.
    Everywhere in Italy worth visiting is crowded in the summer. It just is.
    You have the right idea of winnowing what you really really want to see and do, do them and enjoy it rather than running around like a lunatic trying to do everything and enjoying nothing. La dolce far niente. You can always come back again for more.
    And you will.

bwhip, cpettit and rd400racer like this.
  8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I’d rather go to France then Italy and I hate France.

9. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

But You hate everything.......

10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

than

rd400racer likes this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Maybe he wants to visit both.

Phl218 likes this.
  12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

nope, then ‘cause it pisses off you grammar nazis.

f@ck the grammar nazis, f@ck than and f@ck France!

we Germans have tried time after time to help the French, you know, be less French and they get all whiny and shit.

oh, we were talking about Italy? Meh!

13. rd400racer

We're getting down to the 2 month countdown and things have changed in our itinerary. Initially I didn't want to deal with cars but now I think I am. I keep seeing stuff about an international drivers license, but I don't see if you need one or not. What's the consensus? Also there's 6 of us but I don't want to get a van and big SUV's don't seem plentiful so I was going to rent 2 smaller cars. Any advice on size of vehicle that will fit 3 people with luggage ? I looked and of course I haven't heard of most of the cars. The Peugeot 308 looks interesting.

14. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Did you read motion's comment about parking and tickets? :D

motion likes this.
  15. Phl218

Phl218 .

you don't need an intl. license as tourist.

2 cars vs van is smart.

peugeot 308, ford focus or VW golf will be decent sized for 3. we drove around in an A4 wagon and never had issues with parking or getting through traffic.

rd400racer likes this.
  16. rd400racer

Just read it again. We're only talking about a 3 day rental. We're skipping Como and going to Verona instead. Found a villa between Verona and Lake Garda so no parking issues. Not having a car would be a chore in this area. Then we'll head back to Milan with the cars, drop them off and take the train to Florence for a week.

Phl218 likes this.
  17. I've been in Italy since August. @rd400racer I'd suggest going to AAA with 2 passport photos and get your International Drivers License to decrease the chances of having issues when you pickup your rental. I got pulled over in Florence and the Polizia looked at it. I wore them down by speaking poor Spanish.

We have a longterm lease on a Dacia Duster, and I wouldn't want anything larger. We've had some mirror-brushing fun in some of the hill towns. There is a reason why the OG Fiat Panda is the car of choice.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    YamahaRick and rd400racer like this.
  18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

How are you staying longer than 90 days?

19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

@freeohio 's advice on the international drivers license is solid. I've heard more stories about people getting dinged for not having one. I never used to carry one, except for Asia, but now I do.

20. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Bueno! Sounds super fun.

I have not been to Italy but definitely plan on it. A number years ago, a colleague of mine returned from a trip and told me that the automated collection stations on the autopista talked to you, and as it lifted the gate, it belched out a vibrant "arrivederciiiii!" :beer:

rd400racer likes this.