1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isle of Man TT 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, May 23, 2017.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

RyanDCramer likes this.
  2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I wish Guy would just finally get some sort of win there.

cajun636 likes this.
  3. RyanDCramer

RyanDCramer Well-Known Member

Went last year and it was amazing. Going next year and staying a few days after to the learn the course.

BigBird and Steeltoe like this.
  4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

No BS....best way to learn the course. :crackup:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_TT_Superbikes

I've logged so many laps around the circuit in this game that at the time I was playing it alot I probably could have felt fairly comfortable in at least knowing where/when the next corners were coming up, etc.

RyanDCramer likes this.
  5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Milky Quayle course guide

6. RyanDCramer

I drove the course last year in a car but felt I didn't learn anything. Thanks for the link and video games!

7. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Are we sure Guy is going to ride? He made it seem like he had to get racing miles under him this year for the TT organizers to issue him a competition license. The NW would have gone a long way to prove he's up to the task. But, with Honda pulling their superbike, and superstock official bikes he didn't get much time on bikes. The Spring Race at Oliver's Mount also didn't go so well for him either.

I'm sure they'll consider bending their rules for such a popular rider. Having said that, I'm not expecting much out of him for results this time around. Maybe next year.

8. I'll be over there June 3-6.

BigBird likes this.
  9. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

you won't really learn the course too well by just staying a few days after...

go during the event, hook up with a racer who will let you ride in a car with them as they do their laps throughout the fortnight...we all do it/did it when racing there and certainly someone would be willing to let you be a fly on the wall as they talk through the course.

otherwise...video game and onboards. are you planning to try to get an entry?

10. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Last year there was an interview with the sidecar pilot that said he did similar and also watched onboard footage to learn the course. When asked if it helped he said "Nope":D

11. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I lucked into a lap in a car with Keith Amor in 2014 I think. He talked through braking points, reference points, and gear selection, but the majority was just me giving him a terrified look of wtf in all the places where he said, "this is all just wide open in 6th".

I never looked at the course the same again.

12. That's awesome, I should have a back seat ride next week.

JBraun likes this.
  13. RyanDCramer

I will still be there for the event but I have friends that live in Onchan that I stay with so it's not a big deal to stay after. Their friend rents bikes so I was going to use the couple of days to ride the course after everyone's left.

And yes the goal is to get there in 2019. I met with Milky last year as far as getting familiar with that whole process, well at least high level. I bought the on board dvd's per his suggestion and the video game too.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  14. caferace

caferace No.

Without looking it up, I thought he raced either (or both) 600's and/or Supertwins at the NW200?

-jim

15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I'm speculating, but I'd guess there's no way Guy Martin will be turned away from the TT.

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

If I remember he did Cookstown, Spring Cup and the NW 200 already. Dunno the requirements for the TT.

Question is who will ride McPint's Honda. Word is Lee Johnston split with his team so he may be the guy. He's fast!

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

cajun636 likes this.
  18. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

Is it covered same day or live anywhere on tv in the states?

19. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

it's always been on Velocity, need to get that with your tv package.. i have Directv so i record it. can't remember if it was aired that night after each day's racing or not though. want to say yes.

ajcjr likes this.
  20. caferace

caferace No.

I'll ask, but if I remember correctly they'll be putting up a fair bit on Youtube this year.

The TT is never live, on any channel anywhere. Just not possible on a 37.74 mile track. Needs a ton of post-production. That being said, Manx RadioTT is always live and awesome to listen to, free and online.

-jim

Yzasserina, Canadian Bacon and ajcjr like this.