1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is/was MM93 bad for the sport?

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Oct 26, 2020.

1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I don't know how to make a value judgment on whether or not he's bad for the sport, but the championship is certainly more interesting without him.

OGs750, Gorilla George and rk97 like this.
  2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Yeah, man! MotoGP should be more like real racing and have competition cautions, race stages, a convoluted playoff system, then one free-for-all race where whoever wins is the "" champion"".

That would be awesome.

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

when you're so much faster than everyone, sometimes you just got to pull the pin and keep it moving.

[​IMG]

cav115 and Gorilla George like this.
  4. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

100% agree with this.

i don’t care if MM is out front, 5 seconds clear, but i appreciate when the TV coverage shows the battle for 2nd, and just has a PIP of the leader.

this season has been worth every penny of the video pass. I was hoping for a refund a few months ago!

SuddenBraking and Gorilla George like this.
  5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I wasn't referring to his abilities being so much beyond, I acknowledge that - it's unmistakable. He's one of the GOATs for sure.

I was talking about his slam bang unsafe riding BS in Moto2 that got largely overlooked or dismissed, unlike Simoncelli who got crucified regularly by the paddock.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  6. It wouldn't bother me if MM never raced again. I just don't like the dude. I really don't even know why, or how to explain it.

You know how sometimes you run across certain people that piss you off, for no good reason? Like, even if you don't know them, when you look at them you just want to break their fucking jaw. And when they start talking, "that" feeling gets even worse. Yeah, MM is like that for me. As soon as i see his damn face, I have this feeling like I want to fling uppercuts, and then when the little punk starts talking, I want to add some brass knuckles into the equation.

I always root against MM. I don't care who else wins, as long as it isn't him.

There is a certain dude in MA that gives me that same feeling also, and it is even worse since he seems like a crybaby.

Its funny because the opposite feeling occurs also. Jack Miller for example. I obviously dont know him either, but I really like the dude for some reason. I always root for him. And of course Rossi, I always root for him also. Mostly because of how much he loves motorcycles and racing. He seems like a big kid that loves playing with his toys.

7. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

We need a season like this every once in a while as this is the only way Suzuki can ever win a title! :Poke:Think back to 2000 When KRJR one it, it was an odd year where there were really no standouts.

I never have been a big Suzuki fan and that includes Schwantz but I have to say I am pulling for Joan Mir this year.

Really would like to see him get a win though and win the championship vs win it with out a win.

For the record, I usually swing from Honda's nuts and whomever is riding for them.

SGVRider likes this.
  8. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

If you can’t beat Marquez that’s just tough fucking shit for you. Ride faster or fight as dirty.

Marquez is great for the sport, he’s making everybody else raise their game more than they would’ve themselves thought possible. I don’t think Marquez would’ve just walked away with it this year even if he had been healthy, though he still would’ve won.

I hope Marquez can get back to full fitness and his former level. That boy just ain’t right. He has a supernatural connection with his motorcycle. Someone needs to check his house for chicken bones and cauldrons.

Now that the others have gotten a taste of actually winning I think they’ll have a lot more fight in them. I want to see Marquez get back to his old ways again just because his riding is so spectacular.

I want to see someone else win and challenge Marc, but I want to see them win by raising themselves to the grand master’s level, not by the master performing less.

Razr likes this.
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Marquez was crushing the field. It makes a big difference in your adversaries' willingness to criticize your racing style. If you're gonna piss people off, you better be winning.
    Funny, I was just saying yesterday that Marquez must be watching this season thinking "oh, shit, if I get my arm back, I can win 15 next year."

Quicktoy, badmoon692008 and BigBird like this.
  10. SGVRider

The reason Marc got away with his antics more easily than Simoncelli is simple. Marc had better initial results than 58 while he was pulling his antics. If you’re winning and berming people than any complaining comes off as sour grapes. If you’re berming people and coming 5th or crashing then complaining comes off as legitimate. Simple as that. Both Marc and Marco got a lot better though once they cut out the bullshit.

11. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I always wondered if Respol Honda’s influence had something to do with it. Just total conjecture on my part.

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Good thing I wasn't expecting a rational explanation

13. SGVRider

If next year is even a patch on this year’s level of crazy and inconsistency, yeah I think he could win that many.

He’s probably sitting there also thinking “I could’ve sat out the first 5 races this season after I broke my arm and still been champion”. Marc is currently the only person who can beat Marc. He did a damned good job of beating himself this year, gotta give him that.

badmoon692008 and auminer like this.
  14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

He's #1 Hey!

15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I think we need to agree on what "good/great for the sport" means. Is it everyone else having to raise their game, or is it attracting more fans to the sport? I'd submit that the former is cute, but the latter is what's truly good for the sport.

Whether second place is 50 points or 100 points behind Marquez at the end of the year is effectively a distinction without a difference, but more viewership and interest is a tangible benefit that comes from a more competitive championship.

For a relevant example, I'd be much more interested in watching MA superbike if Cam wasn't there because absent him crashing, he's going to win (and IMO, that predictability takes away from the enjoyment).

16. SGVRider

Know what would be ironic/ horrible for everyone else? Imagine if Marc actually learns from this and is a bit more cautious with protecting his health. He’ll ride for another 10 years and pick up another 3-5 titles.

R Acree likes this.
  17. SGVRider

Take out the single time champions and this pattern goes back to the beginning of GP racing. You always have different guys that are consistent enough to pick up a single championship in weird years, but most of the time is dominated by a few dudes who are the creme de la creme.

We’ve only had what, 26 MotoGP/500cc world champions? There were maybe 8-10 one-time winners in 72 seasons. Every other season was won by highly dominant riders.

I agree that the predictability gets boring. I’m more excited to watch than the years that Marquez has spanked everyone. However, that doesn’t make Marquez bad for the sport. His dominance is boring, but other guys have been upping their game. I don’t care if Marquez eventually wins the title, I just want to see people legitimately challenge him and make him work for it. So it’s not Marc winning the title in the end that I find boring, it’s when there’s zero question who’ll take the championship.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  18. :crackup:

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Although I think it's a valid point, I personally make a difference between all the other racing series and MotoGP. In the other classes and series, I do indeed prefer close racing to total dominance of the best guy in the series. Because I always know that if I want to see what the best racers in the world can do on a motorcycle, I can watch MotoGP. But I don't need to see MotoGP skills level dumbed down for the purpose of a better show. That's what I have the other series for. Although I am enjoying this year tremendously, I want to see the best of the best even if that means one winner all year.

SGVRider and OGs750 like this.
  20. malamute

malamute ARRA racer

I also find it quite boring when a racer shows his dominance during the season.....except when it's a racer that I'm supporting. I would want that racer to make the race boring. True story.

Razr and OGs750 like this.